• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

32/40 ammo

Pack & Postal in Lancaster has some. Old boxes of ammo, but may be some good rounds and brass at least if you break it down.

Is there a difference between .32-20 pistol vs. 32.20 rifle? I always thought one caliber was the same for either application. There's no distinction among loading manuals that I'm aware of.

Is there a difference between .32-20 pistol vs. 32.20 rifle? I always thought one caliber was the same for either application. There's no distinction among loading manuals that I'm aware of.
There's apparently a bit of squishyness in that it started out as a blackpowder round and there still may be some older handguns around that can't handle the smokeless powder pressures. The one I have (my dad's) is in the 100-year-old or more range, and I'd be loath to put some of the modern high pressure loads through it.

There's a bit of info here, realizing that information you find on the internet is often worth exactly what you pay for it:

I load 32/20 for 2 old Winchesters. A model 1873 and a model 1892. I load mild cast bullet loads. I'd buy a revolver in 32/20 If I found one in good shape that wasn't outrageously expensive.

It is theoretically possible to make 32/40 brass out of 30/30 or 32 Special brass. I suppose you could also use 38/55 or 375 Winchester. From what I've read, it's not a simple process and you'll lose a few. Why bother when the correct brass is available online?

FWIW, M&B Sports (near Foxwoods) has a box of .32-40 ammo, but it is paired for sale with a rifle:
"Winchester 1894 .32-40 20” 363858 $1000. Saddle Ring Pre-64".

Back
Top Bottom