• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.32 Rimfire at new Middleboro Shop

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I found this box of original .32 rimfire rounds at a new gun shop in Middleboro, MA today. I paid $15 for all 50 rounds.

The cases are marked "U", "P" and "H", along with many that have no markings at all.

While they look corroded, for the most part I think it is dried lubrication on the bullets.

Can anyone tell me what the "H" stamp would be for? I'm pretty sure the "U" is UMC, and guessing the "P" is Peters, but have no idea what the non marked ones and the "H" marked ones are.

Any information would be appreciated. When I got my .32 Rimfire Model 1 1/2, I never thought I'd find original ammo for it, and even empty boxes were going for hundreds of dollars. I'm pretty pleased with my find.

What do you more experienced collectors think?

32Rimfire.jpg

leftsidehoriz.jpg

The primers on that ammo are most likely defunct.
Also be aware that the ammo is almost certainly loaded with black powder and the gun will require thorough cleaning soo after it is fired, to avoid corrosion from both the powder and primers.
Much of the early rimfire ammo was loaded with mercuric primers and they don't last as long as modern primers before breaking down.
The white coating on the bullets is probably a mixture of oxidized lube and oxidized lead. Now go wash your hands.

There is some modern ammo out there somewhere.
CIL (Canada) loaded .32 RF until sometime in the 60s and someone else wass importing ammo from europe more recently.

Jack

The primers on that ammo are most likely defunct.
Also be aware that the ammo is almost certainly loaded with black powder and the gun will require thorough cleaning soo after it is fired, to avoid corrosion from both the powder and primers.
Much of the early rimfire ammo was loaded with mercuric primers and they don't last as long as modern primers before breaking down.
The white coating on the bullets is probably a mixture of oxidized lube and oxidized lead. Now go wash your hands.

There is some modern ammo out there somewhere.
CIL (Canada) loaded .32 RF until sometime in the 60s and someone else wass importing ammo from europe more recently.

Jack

Ye Old Yankee Trader used to carry it. [ Dangerous Dan!]

Back
Top Bottom