• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.35 rem. vs .358

wjsmall97

NES Member
I have a chance to buy a .358 browning blr, and not sure of the ballistics vs . 35 rem. in a marlin 336.I would love to keep the 336 and buy the BLR, but don't think that is going to be feasible. Any idea what the BLR would be worth in about 85-90 % condition. A friend of a friend's wife is selling it as her husband (the friend ) passed away.
Thanks, Bill

I have a pre 81 BLR in 308 and love it not idea on the actual book value. Just be aware the pre 81 guns the mags go for stupid money well over $100. The newer BLR’s mags are reasonable.
358 is a very odd caliber noted for heavy recoil not sure what your intended use is for this rifle.

.358 Win is more recoil and harder to find than 35 Remington. Balistically the nod would likely go to the 358.

BLR's go new for about 700 ish.

A used one in 90% condition would go for likely $500 unless there is some weird collector value in that caliber.

i.e as Savage 99 in 358 Win is a rare collector item because of the caliber.....so just make sure you check book value.

Apparently, you're not geared up for reloading. The .358 Winchester reloads just like most other bottle-neck cartridges.
Think of the .358 Win. to .35 Rem. comparison like a 7.62x54R to 7.62x39mm, give or take a little.
I think I have about 5 boxes of .358 Winchester reloaded, but I don't shoot this caliber. I guess I had some 225g/250g bullets, brass and dies, so why not...

I had one, because I have a weakness for that caliber. I buy every rifle I see that is in 358. Except the Model 88 that cost over $2k.
Anyways, I never could get the Browning to group better than 3" at 100 yards so I sold it.
The difference between it and the 35 is about the same as the difference between the 30-30 and 308: a lot. Because that is basically what they are: versions of their parent cartridge necked up to 35 cal.

If your interested in hunting then the 358 is great and is pretty much good for most North American hunting except your long range hunting shooting. If you just do some occasional white tail hunting and plink at the range then stick with the 35 Remington. Also the BLR in 358 is good because if you do start to reload then you have a pretty good selection of bullets to choose from since it has a magazine and you can use all of the spitzer bullets that at available. Having the magazine is also a good feature because when you come in from hunting or have to get in the truck you can just pop out the magazine and the bullet in the chamber and go. You don't need to run all the bullets through the action to unload it.

Don't be afraid of the ammo availability because once you get 200 or so rounds you are probably set for the rest of your life. A few shots to practice/sight in each year plus a few shots at most during hunting season.

I have a model 70 in 358 and my father has a Savage 99 in 358 and we both like them.

Bottom line is if you plan to hunt or already do then go for it!

If you want a 348 you better reload. Even if you reload, look first for components. They are out of stock at midway and the best I could find was $2 each for brass, and bullets were back ordered. Not quite unobtanium, but damn close. Ammo on gunbroker was $5-$6 per round.

If you want a 348 you better reload. Even if you reload, look first for components. They are out of stock at midway and the best I could find was $2 each for brass, and bullets were back ordered. Not quite unobtanium, but damn close. Ammo on gunbroker was $5-$6 per round.
358win from a 308 win case makes for inexpensive option

Midway has 358 ammo but it’s not cheap at $1.65 per round before shipping...

Back
Top Bottom