35 years later....

April 18th 1986 I stepped onto a plane in Dublin Ireland with a return ticket I was fairly certain I would not use. Today I’m 35 years in America. Apparently I did not use that ticket!

Time really does fly.
Glad your here.

Funny.....I've never really known my heritage. My dad was from Kentucky.....discharged from the navy in Rhode Island and stayed in New England and married my mom who's from Massachusetts. Never spent much contact with my 8 uncles and aunts on my dad's side.....they all stayed in KY or Georgia. My dad had a pretty crappy up bringing.....his dad was a coal miner and a drunk and died when my dad was 17 that's why he joined the navy. So I never knew my heritage at all. My mom's maiden name was french.....always was told my great grandfather on her side came was French Canadian. Anywho.....my son bought me a 23 and me test for Christmas. I took it. Turns out I'm just shy of 70% Irish ancestry. Mostly from cork County Ireland. Guess my dad's side landed in KY by way of Ireland at some point. The other 30 percent is British and french.....(so I'd believe the French Canadian story on my great grandfather though I never met him he died young).

The other day a lady nurse at the Dr office asked me if I was Irish (long story as to why) and the first time in my life I actually had an answer.....yup. 😂

I hope That Ticket is framed and on the wall. I hope you've been back.

Congrats. Hopefully we don't mess it up, here.
I had that ticket for years but at some point I misplaced it. I’m guessing my kids will find it when I’m long gone!
Yes, I’m also hopeful we don’t mess it up here. However, suppressors are legal to own in Ireland but you can’t have hand guns....

I had that ticket for years but at some point I misplaced it. I’m guessing my kids will find it when I’m long gone!
Yes, I’m also hopeful we don’t mess it up here. However, suppressors are legal to own in Ireland but you can’t have hand guns....

Ireland inspires!

View: https://youtu.be/6yvHe_ksnDA

Glad your here.

Funny.....I've never really known my heritage. My dad was from Kentucky.....discharged from the navy in Rhode Island and stayed in New England and married my mom who's from Massachusetts. Never spent much contact with my 8 uncles and aunts on my dad's side.....they all stayed in KY or Georgia. My dad had a pretty crappy up bringing.....his dad was a coal miner and a drunk and died when my dad was 17 that's why he joined the navy. So I never knew my heritage at all. My mom's maiden name was french.....always was told my great grandfather on her side came was French Canadian. Anywho.....my son bought me a 23 and me test for Christmas. I took it. Turns out I'm just shy of 70% Irish ancestry. Mostly from cork County Ireland. Guess my dad's side landed in KY by way of Ireland at some point. The other 30 percent is British and french.....(so I'd believe the French Canadian story on my great grandfather though I never met him he died young).

The other day a lady nurse at the Dr office asked me if I was Irish (long story as to why) and the first time in my life I actually had an answer.....yup. 😂
Great story. Heritage gives us meaning and who doesn’t want to be Irish....especially on Saint Patrick’s Day! Truth be told I’m 1/16 German. My father’s side emigrated to Ireland from Germany many years ago. I stated doing my family tree about 10 years back and it’s amazing want you dig up. Not all good, but sure is interesting.

Last edited:
Great story. Heritage give us meaning and who doesn’t want to be Irish....especially on Saint Patrick’s Day! Truth be told I’m 1/16 German. My father’s side emigrated to Ireland from Germany many years ago. I stated doing my family tree about 10 years back and it’s amazing want you dig up. Not all good, but sure is interesting.
I've read that Appalachia region was settled by scotch and Irish.....so it makes sense I'm so much Irish I guess.

Are they building communism in Ireland today? I would hold on to that ticket!
Nope, but this COVID business is really taking a toll. My mom now 83 is on her third full lockdown. Last week they lifted travel restrictions a bit but it’s tough. Having said that having both a Green and Blue passport has its advantages.

Unfortunately we are still down 6 counties, but finally have home rule! Not sure if I’ll see the full 32 in my lifetime but one can continue to dream.

Be optimistic! We can never predict well. When I arrived here, in 1985, NOBODY was predicting the fall of the communism in 1989. Not even myself!!! [slap]

And how many of us would dare to predict Il Dementi's junta in Washington DC just ten years ago?

You have a great advantage, you have a place to go to, once Amerika will start re-educating us. Just don't miss your departure time! It will be much harder once their love will fence you in! [rofl2]

Last edited:
I love legal immigration stories. Nothing makes me prouder of being an American than watching a citizenship ceremony. I get weepy.

My Dad's family (both his mother and father) came from Connemara, the town of Cashel. Now all my cousins live in Clifden. I've been over a couple times to visit them. Two of them have immigrated here: one in Boston, the other in Colorado.

I love legal immigration stories. Nothing makes me prouder of being an American than watching a citizenship ceremony. I get weepy.

My Dad's family (both his mother and father) came from Connemara, the town of Cashel. Now all my cousins live in Clifden. I've been over a couple times to visit them. Two of them have immigrated here: one in Boston, the other in Colorado.
I love the west of Ireland. Galway is the gateway to some of the most scenic vista I’ve ever visited. Also, the night life in Galway is great craic! My citizenship ceremony was an odd one. The INS sent my paperwork to the wrong address even though I sat and watched the INS agent enter my new address a few months prior after I passed the citizenship exam. I took the day off work and went to the INS office in Boston. Sat around for hours and finally got in front of an agent. She said I’d have to start the process over, I asked to speak to her supervisor. He listened to the whole story and went away. When he returned he said “I’m not sure what happened but we have a swearing in ceremony this afternoon, to make it up to you we can fit you in”. I was floored and said I don’t have time to go home and change and he said no worries. He said go grad lunch and when you get back come see me. I did buy a buttoned down at lunch and he lead me in a separate door and right to the head of the line. He shook my hand and said “Welcome to America Mr. Quinn”. Unfortunately, my wife was in PA on business so it was short and sweet and I was out the door. I proudly hang my citizenship cert in my “Safe Space”.

Last edited:
My grandfather came over from Sicily just after the end of WW 1 (brief aside, Italy was the only country to be on the loosing side in both World Wars but gain in territory after each). Of my dad and three uncles, my dad (the youngest) was the only one born in the US. During WW 2, he was the only one that could be an officer, since his brothers were all enemy combatant nationals (having been born in Italy). He ended up a 1st lieutenant in the Army Air Corp (bombardier on B24s) and outranked all his older brothers. During the war he actually was stationed back in Italy with the 15th Air Force. After the war he didn’t make it back to Italy until the late 1970’s when he and my mom came to visit me when I was working in Milan. We made the trip down to Sicily and met my great aunts and his cousins, it was quite the get together.

Italy was the only country to be on the loosing side in both World Wars but gain in territory after each

Mind you, I didn't even realize they started out opposed to the Allies.

... my dad ... ended up a 1st lieutenant in the Army Air Corp (bombardier on B24s) ...
My best man's father was a radio operator on a B-24 in the 15th AF
(744th Bomb Squadron (Heavy) ``Deliverators'').
Plaque in the Dayton museum's memorial park:
050329-F-1234P-101.JPG

If you visit, there's a 15th AF memorial bench outside hard by the (exit).
141030-F-IO108-001.JPG

Bunch of imma-grimpts and reffergees. Go home non-Americans!!!! We all hate you. ;)

Nah. Glad you are all here. Hell, I'm one of the "we need to open the borders more" types here. I know what a PITA it is for an Irish immigrant to get into the US in the first place. My cousin's family had a cottage industry in the 90's driving to Montreal and bringing "visitors" back to Boston. (Back when you could cross the US/Canadian border with a DL. They'd get a DL in mASS when here on a visa. Then fly back to Ireland, then to Montreal then drive back thru to the US using their US issued license.)

Bunch of imma-grimpts and reffergees. Go home non-Americans!!!! We all hate you. ;)

Nah. Glad you are all here. Hell, I'm one of the "we need to open the borders more" types here. I know what a PITA it is for an Irish immigrant to get into the US in the first place. My cousin's family had a cottage industry in the 90's driving to Montreal and bringing "visitors" back to Boston. (Back when you could cross the US/Canadian border with a DL. They'd get a DL in mASS when here on a visa. Then fly back to Ireland, then to Montreal then drive back thru to the US using their US issued license.)
My first experience with immigrants was in JFK in 86 when I arrived. Back then you sat on the plane worrying if you’d get in as immigration was state side, now it’s in Ireland. He was clearly mad at the world and I screwed up on the city name and state location on the INS form. He actually said “all you £ucking micks screw it up”. I kept my cool but he had a hair across his a$$ and call his supervisor. They chatted for a few, not sure about what, but they shortened my visitor visa to a few weeks. My guess is they were trying to get a rise out of me but there was no way I was getting sent home. It was NY or nothing as no way I’d ever move to England. 4 years later after my mom sent in the green card lottery paperwork as it needed to originate in Ireland I got a letter saying I was selected. I went home a few days later, took the medical exam in Galway and the interview with the INS in Dublin. I ate crow and said I was very sorry I overstayed my holiday visa and he gave he the once over and stamped my paperwork “approved”. You have no idea the relief I felt. He said go have lunch and come back later to collect your paperwork. My dad and I took a drive to Bray, had lunch by the beach and he pointed out the writing on gable wall next to the ferry which goes to England. The writing said “ Last one out of Ireland please turn off the light”. We pondered that for a while and he said “Ireland was always set to to send its people away”. Like when my mom, dad and younger brothers walked me to the gate in 86 when I was leaving the first time, he pull me aside and said “now your chance son, make something of it”. He didn’t say a lot, but when he did it was meaningful. Took me years to figure both out!
Some day I’m going to write all the stuff down in case anyone need something to read!

Back
Top Bottom