• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

357 magnum revolver comparable to S&W 629

headednorth

NES Member
Love the look of Gary Oldman's S&W 629 in The Professional but want to avoid adding a caliber to the mix.( Im already set up for 357) What model in 357 has a similar look to the 629? (stainless, 3" barrel, round grip)

1633482288435.png

1633482312439.png

1633483134861.png

1633483175511.png

Aside from the clipped under lug on the 629, what is it that looks different to me? Is the grip angle different? Are they different frame sizes? Or is it just in my head?

OP is essentially asking for an N frame 357 mag, which is the model 27 / 327/ 627. I have owned various models over the years and all were great, but my revolver itch is best scratched by 44 magnum so they all got sold.

Can confirm, have two 27 series. the 627 2 & 5/8" performance center and the 5" 327 R8/TRR8 (whichever one the rails come off of) Love them. The only revolver I love more is my X-frame 460.

Remember, if you feed the 66 a steady diet of .357 the 66 will loosen up. the 686 will take everything yo can give it.
The originals, at least. Current 66's are a lot tougher than the ones of yesteryear.

But it isn't all up-side. The ones I've come across have heavier double actions that are not even very smooth. I've noticed it in the shop, and most reviewers have also noted it. I don't think it's just a case of not being broken in yet. I remember handling a corresponding version of the model 19 in the shop, and its double action was better. No idea why.

Personally, I don't think any K-frame looks very much like a 629 N-frame even if the barrel and frame proportions are similar. It's just a lot smaller gun. The 27's do look like 29's to the untrained eye. Unfortunately, S&W is making their 627's with slab-side barrels, so the 3" 686 is probably going to win the "at a glance" contest for looking like a 3" 629.

The originals, at least. Current 66's are a lot tougher than the ones of yesteryear.

But it isn't all up-side. The ones I've come across have heavier double actions that are not even very smooth. I've noticed it in the shop, and most reviewers have also noted it. I don't think it's just a case of not being broken in yet. I remember handling a corresponding version of the model 19 in the shop, and its double action was better. No idea why.

Personally, I don't think any K-frame looks very much like a 629 N-frame even if the barrel and frame proportions are similar. It's just a lot smaller gun. The 27's do look like 29's to the untrained eye. Unfortunately, S&W is making their 627's with slab-side barrels, so the 3" 686 is probably going to win the "at a glance" contest for looking like a 3" 629.
Well, the checkered top strap on the 27 kinda gives away its identity, as a .357, model 27. The K frame , 2.5", 66 that I have, is what I was referring to, but I should have been more specific and identifide it as a early 66 , that I was referencing. The 686 that I referred to, is the newer, 3", 686 that I have.

True enough. From several feet away watching someone else shoot one, I'd probably notice the tapered barrel first.

Those barrels aren't tapered. They are not full lug (usually called half lug), and Smith isn't making those in 357 at this time only the full lug versions.

If you want that look with no regard to cost you may be able to source an OEM 66 barrel from Numrich or elsewhere and install on a 686 frame to get the superior L frame top strap. That won't work on the 627 N-frame though.

Remember, if you feed the 66 a steady diet of .357 the 66 will loosen up. the 686 will take everything you can give it.

Much of that and the top strap flame cutting is associated with the lighter/hotter .357 loads.

Luckily my three K frames(2 no dash 66s and a 19-5) have no issues. I prefer to only shoot .38 through them anyhow. So nice in SA.

I have a crusty 28-2 and a pair of equal opportunity Security Sixes(one blue/one stainless) to blast the hot stuff through. I need to get the 28-2 worked on one of these days-it occasionally hangs up advancing to the next cylinder.

Remember, if you feed the 66 a steady diet of .357 the 66 will loosen up. the 686 will take everything you can give it.
I ruined my very first gun, a S&W 66 that was fed a steady diet of hot loads. Was told right or wrongly that I stretched the frame. Traded it for a 12ga BPS that I still have.

Smith & Wesson Model 686 PLUS Seven Shot, 3 inch .357 Magnum TALO​

Smith & Wesson Model 686 PLUS Seven Shot, 3 inch .357 Magnum TALO

How ‘bout this?

The 629 is an N frame. The 686 is an L frame (smaller) and the 66/65 are K frames (even smaller). The only N frame 357 made now is the 627.

Hey - it's got a wheely-thing. It's 357. It's a Smith. All the rest. . . . not an issue. LOL

(Honestly, I've never cared about frame size. It's about what fits my hand. I love a 65/66. I've got one of those TR Special 44 Specials - WITHOUT the TR logo on it. It's nice. I just prefer that. . . K frame fit. Buying a gun for "looks" has rarely worked out for me.)

And thank you for that lesson, EC. Alas, I'll forget it in a few minutes. ROFL!!

Those barrels aren't tapered. They are not full lug (usually called half lug), and Smith isn't making those in 357 at this time only the full lug versions.
I don't think I understand what you're talking about here. The comment was about seeing the 27 versus 29. Let's play spot the 27:

2729.jpg

What you see in the first inch of barrel is what I'm referring to.

Wow. Im not a huge revolver fanatic, but I had no idea there were so many variations in that caliber. Thank you all for the replies

True enough. From several feet away watching someone else shoot one, I'd probably notice the tapered barrel first.
not all 27's have a tapered barrel. several versions of the 27 have been made, including at least one stainless version, not identified as a 627.

Back
Top Bottom