.357 sig, .40

I have a confession to make I've never fired a 357 sig or a .40 caliber.

Which caliber would you compare them too. Is the 357sig half way between a +38 and a 357? What would you compare the .40 too?

I'm perfectly happy with my current calibers and carry a .45 and am pretty happy with it. Am I missing out on something?

Am I missing out on something?

Yeah. The chance to spend more money on additional calibers.

The .357Sig is like a hot .357 Magnum. I've not been able to shoot mine in low light levels yet but I have heard that it makes a nice fireball.

In the right platform, both calibers are manageable. For example the Sig P229 and P239. The baby Glocks surprisingly are also fairly easy to shoot.

I own over 30 handguns and not one of them is a .40. Well, technically I have several but they're all chambered for .40 long (10mm).

I don't own a .357 Sig either, but I have fired both. The .40 is snappy, more like a 9mm than a .45. The .357 Sig does throw an impressive fire ball, I'd put it 3rd or 4th on my "fire ball from a handgun" list:

1st - 4" S&W 500 w/full-house H110 loads
2nd - .30 Carbine Blackhawk
3rd (tie) - .357 Sig & 7.62x25

I just picked up a .40 Glock22 from FS. Very nice gun ! There's somebody here selling a Glock .40 with a .357Sig barrel. According to some of the Glock sites I been looking at they are "almost" a drop in conversion.

Hey, if you have a .45 and are looking for something different, why not just buy a .400 Cor-bon drop-in barrel?

click: 40 and 45

click: 400 Cor-Bon Intro

400Corbon.jpg

The .357Sig is like a hot .357 Magnum. I've not been able to shoot mine in low light levels yet but I have heard that it makes a nice fireball.
At a class at Sigarms Academy, they gathered around all the students and fired one round at a time out of 9mm, .40, .45 ACP, and .357Sig. They were fired out of different guns, so the comparison is not exact. But the perceived report and size of the fireball were in that order, from smallest to largest.

It might be different with different guns and different loads, but I suspect the .357Sig round won't help a flinch.

I've been at many classes at the Sigarms Academy as well. I've been on the right of many guns with different calibers. All I can say was when I was next to a guy shooting a .357 it gave ME a flinch just being next to him! The percussion was just amazing. Nothing at all like a .40 or .45 IMHO.

I've been at many classes at the Sigarms Academy as well. I've been on the right of many guns with different calibers. All I can say was when I was next to a guy shooting a .357 it gave ME a flinch just being next to him! The percussion was just amazing. Nothing at all like a .40 or .45 IMHO.

I have shot 357SIG from a Sig 239, 229, and a Glock 31. The persussion you felt is not felt by the shooter.

In IDPA matches I always wear plugs and muffs when I SO for a 357SIG shooter. When shooting it, I have no problems. I also reload he cartridge and find it a lot of fun to shoot.

As for 40S&W, it is the answer to a question never asked. 10MM was just fine.

I just picked up a 357SIG barrel and some ammo for my Glock 22, time to go test it out [grin]

Well the only reason I was asking was I saw a good deal on a P239 and thought to myself. Do I want that and would it lead me into searching for a Sig 357 barrel?

The more I thought about it after reading the answers here, I don't think I'm missing out on any thing.

Thanks for the information...

I've shot my friend's 229 in .357 sig. I thought it was unpleasant to shoot with the stout recoil. I've shot my other friends HK USP40 in .40sw. It was fun to shoot and there was a time when I almost added on to my safe. My desires have changed. I'll stick with my .45's.

I've shot my friend's 229 in .357 sig. I thought it was unpleasant to shoot with the stout recoil.

I have a P229 with an extra .357Sig barrel and I consider it a pussycat, even in that caliber. And a month ago I shot a friend's P239 in .357Sig and was able to get close hits at 100' on the range.

To me the Sig platform is very comfortable to shoot. But I realize that this is not true for everyone. This is one of the reasons I suggest that people, if possible, try before they buy.

Back
Top Bottom