357 Sig

TY43215

NES Member
From another thread:

Chris said:
Isn't exactly a .40 S&W case. The specs for the case wall thinkness are slightly higher than the .40 S&W to allow greater internal pressures. However, a .40 magazine usually feeds these just fine which is why Barsto makes drop-in barrels for a lot of .40 guns in .357 SIG.

Does use the 0.355" standard 9mm bullet.

VERY unique report too.

Ammo's still a little expensive however. I was really hoping to see the round come between the 9mm and the .40 in terms of cost. Instead, it's still higher than even a .44 Mag round.

Many of us that have reloaded have used 40S&W cases necked down to the 9MM bullet successfully. Yes, actual SAMI specs are a little different, but not so much as to matter.

As for the "Report" the round is louder to the person behind the shooter than the shooter. Recoil is a different matter. I find the recoil to be straight back rather than a muzzle flip. As for the perfectly round ball of flame, that is just so damn cool to watch.

I have used the round for some time in various platforms. I like it in the Sig 239, the 229, and the 2340 I have had. I currently use it in a Glock 31 for carry and for USPSA production. Occasionally I will shoot the Glock in IDPA.

I have buckets of brass to reload. No one likes to try the reloading due to reports of set back issues.

As for the bullets, .355 bullets work fine. Many manufacturers are making a 355 bullet just for 357 SIG that has a little but longer profile so the case can grab it a little better. I buy Sinterfire Frangible 90 grain bullets and use them for my 9MM and for my 357 SIG. They are the longer profile for the Sig round.

All in all, the 357SIG round is ballistically superior to the 40S&W but many shy from it because of the problem with getting used to the flame and the sound. Many develop a flinch from it. I have had SOs duck when the round goes off.

Price is higher for the round only due to the lack of availability and the lack of popularity. As for reloading, 6.2gr of Tightgroup isn't very expensive when you buy it 8# at a time [grin]

As I said in the other thread, as soon as S&W releases the M&P in 357SIG (which is any day now) I will get my letter and order one.

Edit to add: No need for a Barsto Barrel.. Sig 40s and 357SIG barrels interchange as do Glock. No word on S&W yet, but I expect them to go the same route.

On the Sig 239, they have 357SIG mags but the 40S&W mags work flawlessly. (at least they did on the 2 I have owned)

Regards,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom