• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

38 revolver suggestions

Was thinking about a 357, just not sure if i want to spend a bit more and have both or be a bit frugal and go the 38 route. Would probably go with a gp100/686 if I could find one decently priced, but for 38, what would you recommend as an average wheel gun? Say $4-500? Do not have either a 357 or 38 and want to add one to the collection...would you suggest sucking it up and just going 357 for both? I do kind of like the idea of both, but a nice small 38 would also be cool. I guess I am a bit undecided and looking for some advice. Thanks a lot.

buy once....cry once. If you even think you may want a 357 and buy a 38, you will want the 357 until you buy that too. If you really want the 357 then save your pennies an buy one when you can afford it......just my two cents.

Since the .357 can shoot .38s, you get both in one gun if you buy the .357. Just sayin'.

I recommend going with the .357 because you get two guns in one. If you look around you should be able to find one in your price range.

Ruger GP100 - great gun, less expensive than Smith 686, built like a tank, stock trigger not as nice as Smith, but will get better with use, pretty easy to strip down for thorough cleaning.

Smith and Wesson 686- great gun, more expensive than Ruger, built like a tank, great trigger on most, a little more difficult to work on, but not a deal breaker.

Both are nice, I have one of each in 4". They will be with me forever.

A S&W model 13/19/66 would be my choices, I had a 13 and a 19 in the past, loved them both

Personally I'd love to have one if anyone in NH has one for sale let me know!!!!

Uh, nobody asked what the OP wants to do with it. That goes right to what kind he should have.

So . . what do you want to do with it?

Concealed carry, home defense, plinking, etc.

I ask because some of these uses work against each other. A 6" 686 makes a great target gun, but a difficult carry piece.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone should own a pinned and recessed S&W model 66.

I couldn't agree more. And the fact that they're not very expensive makes it even more of a necessity. Ha.

4" Pinned and recessed 66 is on the bottom. Got it 4 years ago for $600 WITH 900 rounds of .357 mag hollow points.

Don

c60103ca.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate all the responses. I guess I will probably have to think this one over again. I was tempted to just get a 357 and be happy, but a nice small 38 would be cool. Perhaps I will just save up a bit and go 357 then in future maybe a smaller 38. Will keep a lookout for a sp101 w 4in barrel...might be best cost option for me right now.

That 66 is pretty nice looking though as well. Oh decisions decisions.

Thanks to all.

If you are looking for a target/competition/fun revolver, it's probably more than you want to spend but my fav is the S&W 627. 8 rounds and moon-clipped. I have a few different variations including one in 38 Super. I shot steel plate matches with them for several years. Really nice revos. Also have a 6" GP100 and although it is built like a tank and functions well, I would pick my Smiths over it every time.

Appreciate all the responses. I guess I will probably have to think this one over again. I was tempted to just get a 357 and be happy, but a nice small 38 would be cool. Perhaps I will just save up a bit and go 357 then in future maybe a smaller 38. Will keep a lookout for a sp101 w 4in barrel...might be best cost option for me right now.

That 66 is pretty nice looking though as well. Oh decisions decisions.

Thanks to all.

I picked up an SP101 with a 3" barrel. I got it used for $300, I can't say a bad thing about it. I prefer to carry a semi-auto for magazine capacity but I definitely wouldn't rule the sp101 out.

I have half a dozen single action and double action .38 and .357 revolvers that you can shoot if you ever get out to Harvard. The small frame .38s are not easy or pleasant to shoot and the .357s are very unpleasant. I also have an airweight snubby in .38 but you probably won't like shooting it.

Definitely 357. Probably can't go wrong with either Ruger/S&W GP100/SP101/19/66/686. I'm a fan of the older Smiths b/c they generally age very well and have incredibly smooth triggers (esp. the target models).

Definitely 357. Probably can't go wrong with either Ruger/S&W GP100/SP101/19/66/686. I'm a fan of the older Smiths b/c they generally age very well and have incredibly smooth triggers (esp. the target models).

What TBalls said!!!! +100

IMHO the S&W 642 is a nice carry. Stainless, no exposed hammer, and small. Only 38 Special, no .357 though. The .38 will work if you have good round placement.

I've got a 686SSR that I've shot thousands of rounds through in IDPA & some ICORE competitions. Every single round I've shot through has been .38 special. If I had to do it all over again I would have spent half the money and bought a police trade-in model 67. They seemed to have dried up and I have too much $ invested in holsters, holders, and speedloaders to switch.

What do you want it for?

If you want to occasionally carry it, plink with it, and possibly compete in IDPA, then get a 4" S&W K or L frame. My preference would be a 19 or 66.

Would not be carrying it, probably ever unless some small 38 I would imagine. Probably a plinker, I know very little of IDPA and sadly dont get to shoot too often so that, for now, wont be in the cards.

Ive got cpl rifles, carry piece, hand cannon, etc...this would just be one more fun toy to add. Thanks again for all the suggestions, definitely gave me more to think about and to keep my eyes open for in the future.

Put over 10,000 rounds through S&W M-65 4" revolvers (over the years)

it's a GREAT GUN & can be found for a reasonable price!

If you want to ADD adjustable sights go for the S&W M-66 4"

Everyone should own a pinned and recessed S&W model 66.

...and only fire .38 spls in them. Forcing cone erosion is a problem with these guns when fired with .357's and esp the 125 JPH. Great guns to carry, but not so great if you want to shoot a lot of .357.

I really would lean towards the .357 either GP100 or S&W686 (I own stock in both companies, no BS). On the other hand nothing wrong with S&W Model 15/67 or the venerable Model 10/64.

I have always been partial to 38 specials. One of the most accurate and versatile rounds ever developed. As one wag put it: "people talk .45, shoot 9mm but carry .38" even today with all the new major caliber sub-compact semi-autos, there is still a lot of truth in that, IMO the best concealable gun on the market today in terms of reliability is a J frame airweight Smith.

I use a S&W 642 as my carry. It's not the most pleasurable thing to shoot, but a trigger job will take care of that.

I think your choice depends on your needs. If you are just looking to add a snubby....go with the 357 and get the 2 for 1 use out of it. If you are looking for something to carry, regularly or occasionally, you can't go wrong with a 38 j frame

Back
Top Bottom