38 Special Short

CaptDan3

NES Member
Does anyone know if the ammo I saw listed as 38 cal. Special Short lead round nose can be fired safely in a regular 38 special revolver.?
Never heard of this ammo. Maybe something new ?

Thanks,

Dan Long,
Boston, MA.

These have been around for a while. I tried some about 5 years ago. They shot fine, but I was concerned about accuracy with the long travel distance to the forcing cone. I didn't notice any difference in my snubby however. Another concern is, with repeated use, a ring of crud could build up in the chambers.

Supposedly some competitors use them because of the perceived faster reloads with the shorter round.

The recoil does seem to be a bit milder.

Last edited:
A friend of mine uses the .38 Short Colt or is it the .38 Long Colt...? He figures they eject better from his revolver.
If I recall correctly, the Long Colt is a tad shorter than a .38 Special case; the Short Colt is closer to a .38 S&W case in length. When you split the mouth on a .38 Special, trim it down to a .38 S&W and use it with a .358" bullet and you'll be accomplishing the same thing essentially.
If shooting .44 Magnum, options are .44 Special and even shorter, the .44 Russian.
Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

A friend of mine uses the .38 Short Colt or is it the .38 Long Colt...? He figures they eject better from his revolver.
If I recall correctly, the Long Colt is a tad shorter than a .38 Special case; the Short Colt is closer to a .38 S&W case in length. When you split the mouth on a .38 Special, trim it down to a .38 S&W and use it with a .358" bullet and you'll be accomplishing the same thing essentially.
If shooting .44 Magnum, options are .44 Special and even shorter, the .44 Russian.
Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

The ICORE and USPSA revolver guys use them because the shorter cases work better in moon clips than the long .38 Spcl cases.

Back
Top Bottom