• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3D printed guns

I was wondering the same thing because there are filaments with aluminum, brass and copper. There's even carbon fiber filament as well. I don't know what the actual amount of metal would be in a copper printed item but I m guessing it's not a lot. They sure look nice when polished up after printing though.

3d media will show up on the xray machines with or without metalized media.

It's the metal detection that get's touchy. The law specifically requires every gun to be AS DETECTABLE AS an exemplar which is a gun shaped chunk of metal with a certain amount of steel in it.

The gun could be made of Marshmallow Fluff if it could be made to comply with those points. (This would however be illegal in MA because it would require appropriate bribes paid to MAFDA).

The easiest way to absolutely comply with the metal detector requirement is to incorporate the specified amount of steel. Which the Liberator does.

Maura can take her misinterpretations and fluff it where the sun doesn't shine.

This just seems to get dumber and dumber . . .

Sydney man avoids jail after 3D printing guns | ZDNet

Judge Penelope Wass sentenced the man to a 12-month suspended sentence after finding he posed a low overall risk to the community and assessing him as having a low risk of reoffending.

"No gun was loaded nor was it capable of being loaded with ammunition," she said. "They were being used in fantasy role-play games."

The judge accepted that Sun did not intend to sell the replica gun for such a high price, but instead craved recognition for his work. She added, however, that the replicas "were not stored securely in the offendor's home, making them arguably more likely to be stolen".

"No gun was loaded nor was it capable of being loaded with ammunition," she said.

If the device is incapable of being loaded with ammunition is it still a gun? I mean, the judge's gavel is kind of gun-shaped even though it's not loaded nor can it be loaded with ammunition. Everything is a gun!

This just seems to get dumber and dumber . . .

Sydney man avoids jail after 3D printing guns | ZDNet

Judge Penelope Wass sentenced the man to a 12-month suspended sentence after finding he posed a low overall risk to the community and assessing him as having a low risk of reoffending.

"No gun was loaded nor was it capable of being loaded with ammunition," she said. "They were being used in fantasy role-play games."

The judge accepted that Sun did not intend to sell the replica gun for such a high price, but instead craved recognition for his work. She added, however, that the replicas "were not stored securely in the offendor's home, making them arguably more likely to be stolen".

The decision blocked a settlement that US President Donald Trump had reached with a Texas-based company to put files online, the report said, adding that some gun rights activists are saying the threat of 3D-printed guns is being overblown.

I had no idea that our president brokered that agreement! I thought it was something the lawyers and the judge hammered out!

This was just posted today...

IANAL, but from reading this, it sounds like it could include assembling a "firearm" from 100% receivers.
and not just 80% or less. I hope I'm wrong.

Bill H.4899 190th (Current)

An Act relative to 3D printed weapons and "ghost guns"
By Mr. Linsky of Natick, a petition (subject to Joint Rule 12) of David Paul Linsky and others relative to 3D printed weapons and ghost guns, so-called. Public Safety and Homeland Security.

Section 1. Section 121 of Chapter 140 of General Laws, is hereby amended by inserting after the word “cartridges” in line 7 the following ‘ “assembly”, the fitting together of the component parts of firearms to construct a firearm,’

Section 2. Section 121 of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, is hereby amended by inserting after the word “gun” in line 100 ‘ “manufacture”, to newly fabricate or construct a firearm’.

Section 3. Section 121 of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, is hereby amended by inserting after the word “trigger” in line 107 ‘“receiver or unfinished firearm frame”, a piece of any material that does not constitute the frame or receiver of a firearm, rifle or shotgun but that has been shaped or formed in any way for the purpose of becoming the frame or receiver of a firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term shall not include a piece of material that has had its size or external shape altered to facilitate transportation or storage or has had its chemical composition altered.

Section 4. Section 121 of Chapter 140 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after the word “detectors” in line 54, the following: a firearm shall include any receiver or firearm frame that is either sustainably near completion or is disguised and intended to be used to enable a person to assemble a functioning firearm, shotgun, or rifle

Section 5. Chapter 140 is hereby amended by inserting the following new Section after Section 122D.

Section 122E.

(a) No individual shall complete the manufacture or assembly of a weapon without (1) obtaining a unique serial number or other mark of identification from the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services pursuant to Section 123 of Chapter 140 and (2) engraving upon or permanently affixing to the firearm such serial number or other mark in a manner that conforms with the requirements imposed on licensed importers and licensed manufacturers of firearms pursuant to 18 USC 923(i), as amended from time to time, and any regulation adopted thereunder within.

(b) No person shall use a three-dimensional printer to manufacture any firearm, or any part or component that is intended to be used to assemble or manufacture a functioning firearm, unless such person possesses a federal license to manufacture firearms and operates in compliance pursuant to 18 USC 923(i), as amended from time to time, and any regulation adopted thereunder within.

(c) No individual shall complete the manufacture or assembly of any firearm from polymer plastic, unless such plastic is embedded with three point seven ounces of material type 17-4 PH stainless steel and such firearm is engraved or otherwise marked with a unique serial number or other mark of identification.

(d) Not later than thirty days after an individual completes manufacturing or assembling a firearm pursuant to this section, such individual shall notify the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services and provide any identifying information concerning the firearm and the owner of such firearm pursuant to Section 128B of Chapter 140.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (1) manufacture or assembly of firearms by a federally licensed firearm manufacturer, or (2) delivery or transfer of a firearm to a law enforcement agency

(f) No individual shall knowingly, facilitate, aid or abet the manufacture or assembly of a firearm pursuant by an individual or for an individual who is otherwise prohibited by law from owning or possessing a firearm.

(g) Any person who violates any provision of this Section shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison by a term of not more than ten years for each offense, or by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

Bill H.4899

Chapter 140 section 121 for reference...

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 121

Back
Top Bottom