3D Printed MP5

Which do you think is more important to HK: sales ratio, or profit margin? Every clone sale benefits HK in that people hear "it's a knock off of the HK" which builds the allure of the original.

I think total net profit is what's most important to HK, and a high per unit profit margin, but at a lower unit sales approach isn't always the best solution. But that's impossible to analyze without actual sales and market data. Maybe it makes sense and the bean counters determined this to be the best approach. Or Maybe they just keep it high as part of its branding as the "legendary" original, and it actually makes up very little of their total revenue. Who's to say?

As far as armchair speculation is concerned, I think they could keep their exclusivity and still offer MP5's for like sub $1,800.

I think total net profit is what's most important to HK, and a high per unit profit margin, but at a lower unit sales approach isn't always the best solution. But that's impossible to analyze without actual sales and market data. Maybe it makes sense and the bean counters determined this to be the best approach. Or Maybe they just keep it high as part of its branding as the "legendary" original, and it actually makes up very little of their total revenue. Who's to say?

As far as armchair speculation is concerned, I think they could keep their exclusivity and still offer MP5's for like sub $1,800.
Like Colt, they seem to care more about contracts. If they make it more accessible, like you note, they lose mystique. One has to assume they've done the math and decided they're happy with where they're at. (BMW could bill like Honda; that they don't tells us they made certain decisions based on their values.)

Lol it's not "overpriced" if people keep paying it.

Thats just skinflint/poor whining.

As a manufacturer if people are gobbling up your shit at 3x what its probably worth, why the f*** would you lower the price? not good business. not good for brand either.

A better way of describing it is that the products are a shitty value. that point, I would be inclined to NOT disagree there. [laugh]
spot on. Same goes for accuracy international. $7k for a bolt action rifle in a chassis that people cry over for being too expensive yet people pay that money for them so why undercut themselves.

spot on. Same goes for accuracy international. $7k for a bolt action rifle in a chassis that people cry over for being too expensive yet people pay that money for them so why undercut themselves.
I hear AI is dropping a new single (feat HK)
IMG_5119_360x.jpg

[rofl]

lol, clone companies like PTR are selling clones for that much. (well, at least at retail)

HK is not going to like double their revenue by cheapening the brand. The market for their more "overpriced" as you call it, stuff (most of their handguns are actually not that expensive) is VERY limited to begin with and has lots of players in it. HK is not going to sell double the # of SP5s by taking 500 bucks off the price.

Also there is image value in being able to maintain a supply of product. If they whore themselves out cheap, they might not be able to produce enough to meet demand, so there's
that.

I really have to try my MP5 to give a fair comparison to the uzi.
New clones cause an issue that for Massachusetts residents at least. I won’t get into everything that’s related with that here.

I think it depends on how your Uzi set up I find that its quite slow and stay on target. I’ll have to look into with the rates differences between the two.

I’ll break it out eventually.. I have to re-organize my stuff. I’m waiting for this move

I really have to try my MP5 to give a fair comparison to the uzi.
New clones cause an issue that for Massachusetts residents at least. I won’t get into everything that’s related with that here.

I think it depends on how your Uzi set up I find that its quite slow and stay on target. I’ll have to look into with the rates differences between the two.

I’ll break it out eventually.. I have to re-organize my stuff. I’m waiting for this move
Whelll what are you waiting for???

Whelll what are you waiting for???
Was waiting for the NES shoot to come back… I guess that ship has sailed. I’ve got a lot more than just the MP5 that’s not fired that I was waiting for us all to finger f*** together..

I just got a quote on scrapping this vehicle. They only give you 200 bucks if I deliver it yourself so basically they will take it for free… I’ve been saying we’re gonna have to shoot it full of holes…

I already have enough drama in my life at the moment… Once my next five or six court cases end maybe I’ll feel like doing it. You always have to have one open case

[rofl]

lol, clone companies like PTR are selling clones for that much. (well, at least at retail)

HK is not going to like double their revenue by cheapening the brand. The market for their more "overpriced" as you call it, stuff (most of their handguns are actually not that expensive) is VERY limited to begin with and has lots of players in it. HK is not going to sell double the # of SP5s by taking 500 bucks off the price.

Also there is image value in being able to maintain a supply of product. If they whore themselves out cheap, they might not be able to produce enough to meet demand, so there's
that.

I think you'd be surprised on how narrow of a mental hinge it would take to sway a purchase away from a clone and to a genuine MP5. Taking $500. off would remove a legit MP5 from the notion of "twice as expensive", and then people just mentally rationalize the extra spend from there. It's not so much that $500 off makes it affordable. It's the psychological pricing aspect of pricing. Like dropping a penny from a price just to show a lower digit to the left of the period.

But I agree that HK would never drop down to $1,800. That's just wishful thinking on my part. I have a feeling the scenario is closer to what I already said about HK not actually making much total revenue off the platform, and keeping it going just for brand value.

I think you'd be surprised on how narrow of a mental hinge it would take to sway a purchase away from a clone and to a genuine MP5. Taking $500. off would remove a legit MP5 from the notion of "twice as expensive", and then people just mentally rationalize the extra spend from there. It's not so much that $500 off makes it affordable. It's the psychological pricing aspect of pricing. Like dropping a penny from a price just to show a lower digit to the left of the period.

But I agree that HK would never drop down to $1,800. That's just wishful thinking on my part. I have a feeling the scenario is closer to what I already said about HK not actually making much total revenue off the platform, and keeping it going just for brand value.

Meh.

The thing is after you clear about 2 grand or so the poors are long out of the conversation. and the guys who want them at that point arent going to be like "ZOMG it went from rape to just
the tip, im buying it now cuz " [rofl]

HK doesnt care. Their target market is not "price sensitive" "value driven" purchasers, at least not with the rifles etc. They are getting stupid money for those guns and will continue to do so given that there is basically like decades of pent up angst over not being able to get those things.

Also bear in mind, back when you could get used HK 94s (this was like over 10 yrs ago btw) that CA DOJ had flushed into the chain (via CDNN etc) those guns were still $2100 or
something. For a USED gun. They sold all of those things pretty rapidly even at that price.

Meh.

The thing is after you clear about 2 grand or so the poors are long out of the conversation. and the guys who want them at that point arent going to be like "ZOMG it went from rape to just

HK doesnt care. Their target market is not "price sensitive" "value driven" purchasers, at least not with the rifles etc. They are getting stupid money for those guns and will continue to do so given that there is basically like decades of pent up angst over not being able to get those things.

Also bear in mind, back when you could get used HK 94s (this was like over 10 yrs ago btw) that CA DOJ had flushed into the chain (via CDNN etc) those guns were still $2100 or
something. For a USED gun. They sold all of those things pretty rapidly even at that price.
there is nothing to be gained trying to cater to the poor other than a race to the bottom. Its not worth it.

Meh.

Yes...I'm saying that's the mistake. They wouldn't lose any fame or mystique in offering this now 57 year old platform for less money. And I'm not talking "the poors" less money. I'm talking like $500 less than current, which is still a sh*t load of money for what is still only a PCC. Less profit per unit, but it would most certainly move more units.

Yes...I'm saying that's the mistake. They wouldn't lose any fame or mystique in offering this now 57 year old platform for less money. And I'm not talking "the poors" less money. I'm talking like $500 less than current, which is still a sh*t load of money for what is still only a PCC. Less profit per unit, but it would most certainly move more units.

You really don't understand branding, do you? (it's stupid, but thats a whole other story) Whether its guns, or cars, or other shit, SOME items that have strong brand power a
different set of rules come into play. The sellers of these brands heavily curate the image and the product in terms of marketing space and luxury appeal and all that kidn of
shit. You forget that half of HK buyers would be INSTANTLY SUSPICIOUS of any price reduction on an existing product, based on the price alone. The first question would be "ok what
did they cheap out on to drop the price" not "oh boy its cool were getting a break" [rofl] A steady state of buyers actually gets them advantages over the long term,
too. (if you sell too many durable goods then people start flipping them everywhere, for profit.... )

They would just be screwing themselves.

When those DOJ guns went, those were HK fanbois buying them. There were no new MP5 clones back then from HK or anyone
else. (mabe some SW5 garbage) IF they were new they would have bought them all for $2800 ea or something. A used HK94 at $2100 is not a flint gun, flints werent buying the things. It was the same group of people that would pay $2400-2800 for it. I guarantee it.

The people that sell perceived high lux/specialtiy brands like that arent idiots. If they thought they could make more money doing it your way, they would. They don't because they actually know better- they know that discounting the product actually sullies the brand. High prices also curb stomp the f*** out of flipping, because the original buyer has to pay a lot and the pool of downstream buyers is small.

If I am making an MP5 for $2800 and I drop it to 2300 bucks MSRP do you have any idea what is going to happen?

-All the fanbois (the salivators willing to pay $2800 who bought one or more guns at that price) are going to get irrationally mad at you as a company, they're going to feel betrayed, ripped off, even if the new pricing has nothing to do with them.

SUCH BETRAY [laugh]

-The fanbois that didnt buy the product but were interested in it are like "Why did the price drop so much, they making it in china?" etc, ad nauseam.

Nobody will ever believe you if you say "oh, we just wanted to offer you a better deal". That doesnt wash, every possibility is a negative outcome in terms of reputation.

If HK wanted to make a more affordable carbine "making the MP5 or a roller lock cheaper" is literally the dumbest option for them marketing wise. That's basically dick-self-punching. The best way for them to tap into that market is to make another entire product line independent of the mp5 so that whatever you do with that line, doesn't sully the other one. (Like as a cross, they could make an UMP clone in 9mm for $1500 and theyd sell that all day long and nobody would bitch about the price nor would it piss off fanbois).

Look at the inverse situation, BTW. FN used to sell thier shit for cheap. Then one morniing they woke up and they were like "This is a weird gun. We have branding, and we're already not in the segment value buyers are shopping in. So lets add "cachet" or whatever. Then the FS2000 went from a $1300 gun to an $1800 gun. And they still sold like wildfire in the
grand scheme of things to the point of there being shortages. Same thing with the SCAR. The SCAR is kind of an overrated POS, but even that went up in price since its introduction in the market. Because FN figured out that they could do it and get away with it.

Back
Top Bottom