• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3D Printing FTW!!!

I have a Taurus 740 Slim I wish I had an extended mag for (I know. . . taurus sucks, etc etc etc)

I measured the baseplate and extended it for +2 and VOILA!!!!!
20140320_192543.jpg 20140320_192518.jpg 20140320_192504.jpg

Remember, It's okay if you keep under 10 rds (in this case it goes from 6 to 8).
If you have a preban over 10 rounds you can extend to infinity.

Buy a 3D printer now!

I thought about getting one, which one do you have? I was thinking about may be getting that Staples cube. There are very cool for sure, but I can mold a lot of things from just wood and cast plastic or aluminum. It's a very cool, useful thing, but not exactly cheap so I am just getting close to the threshold of usefulness.

I'm not sure that you can mod a pre-ban to infinity since it would be post-ban hi cap for mAss subjects.

I don't have the patience to dig it up but. There is an answered question posted on the ATF website. The question was (paraphrasing) "Can I take a preban mag and weld it to another preban mag and have it be legal?" The ATFs response was (again paraphrasing) "Once a preban mag always a preban mag. Extending it wouldn't stop it from being a preban mag."

Now I know the 2 scenarios aren't exactly apples and apples. But I think it would probably be close enough that it would be a non issue. I don't think adding a new part to it would be a problem since you can change mag followers, springs and baseplates in preban mags when they wear out. In reality all you are doing is changing the baseplate, even if it is 3 inches longer than the old one...

I thought about getting one, which one do you have? I was thinking about may be getting that Staples cube. There are very cool for sure, but I can mold a lot of things from just wood and cast plastic or aluminum. It's a very cool, useful thing, but not exactly cheap so I am just getting close to the threshold of usefulness.

The on I use is the Bukobot duo:
http://deezmaker.com/store/

I print ABS in one nozzle and PLA in the other for support material; then I dunk the model in a solution that dissolves the PLA.
But usually I just print all in ABS and rip the support material out.

It's not too hard to put together but it's a bitch to calibrate.
They may offer a service to assemble and calibrate for you for an additional fee.

Makerbot (while a great machine) is a rip off at like $3200 or whatever for something comparable.

Check out the Arduino based 3d printers . All open source all the time. You can buy ready made kits from complete to missing stuff you can buy off the shelf and even ones for less you have to make more parts.

I've seen them set up so you can do 3d printing to a Cnc mill for for wood and plastic . If you want to cut metal you just need to mod it.

I don't have the patience to dig it up but. There is an answered question posted on the ATF website. The question was (paraphrasing) "Can I take a preban mag and weld it to another preban mag and have it be legal?" The ATFs response was (again paraphrasing) "Once a preban mag always a preban mag. Extending it wouldn't stop it from being a preban mag."

Now I know the 2 scenarios aren't exactly apples and apples. But I think it would probably be close enough that it would be a non issue. I don't think adding a new part to it would be a problem since you can change mag followers, springs and baseplates in preban mags when they wear out. In reality all you are doing is changing the baseplate, even if it is 3 inches longer than the old one...
what if you welded a preban magazine to a new one? I'm guessing that wouldn't fly. Better make sure you're using preban plastic in your printer!

what if you welded a preban magazine to a new one? I'm guessing that wouldn't fly. Better make sure you're using preban plastic in your printer!

Reading comprehension fail. You missed the whole point of what you quoted from me.
You CAN change the mag followers,springs and baseplates in preban mags when they wear out. In reality all you are doing is changing the baseplate, even if it is 3 inches longer than the old one...

That means with NEW non-preban parts. Putting a +2 extension on my preban 17rd Beretta mag doesn't stop it from being preban. If you make a part that attaches to the mag the same way the original baseplate does then what you have made is a baseplate.

All marks that identify mags as pre or post ban are on the mag bodies. Be it a notch, groove, date/LEO/MIL stamp, etc. they don't mark the removable parts for the obvious reason that they could then be transferred to new mag bodies.

Good stuff! I keep thinking about socking some money away and grabbing a 3d printer. Might actually do it after one more handgun and 2 or 3 more rifles.

My business partner and I are thinking of building one of these - http://conceptforge.org. Probably the Sextupteron. We would like to make models of the homes we build, but I imagine its usefulness is limited only by one's imagination.
We have zero programming capabilities, but fortuntately my partner's brother is well acquainted with 3D printing.

Reading comprehension fail. You missed the whole point of what you quoted from me.

That means with NEW non-preban parts. Putting a +2 extension on my preban 17rd Beretta mag doesn't stop it from being preban. If you make a part that attaches to the mag the same way the original baseplate does then what you have made is a baseplate.

All marks that identify mags as pre or post ban are on the mag bodies. Be it a notch, groove, date/LEO/MIL stamp, etc. they don't mark the removable parts for the obvious reason that they could then be transferred to new mag bodies.

I was once told as long as it functions on the original gun you can mod them. Look at Uzi 9mm mags and ar's.

One thing I thought about was using preban mags as a tower for
A Drum mag.
Do both have to be preban or Just the tower ?

One thing I thought about was using preban mags as a tower for
A Drum mag.
Do both have to be preban or Just the tower ?

I'm not sure . I read that page so long ago that I can't say for certain if the guy who asked the question specified that the second mag was preban also. I just remember the answer that you could mod them and still have it be a preban.

Either way if your welding then we're talking steel mags so even a new production mag w/o any date stamp, or the like, is still "preban" in the sense that it can't be proven to be post. Not to mention that after you have sanded, welded, and painted your contraption there will be no reasonable way to say when the original parts were made.

My business partner and I are thinking of building one of these - http://conceptforge.org. Probably the Sextupteron. We would like to make models of the homes we build, but I imagine its usefulness is limited only by one's imagination.
We have zero programming capabilities, but fortuntately my partner's brother is well acquainted with 3D printing.

I would look into the Rigidbot Big for about $1K. They are getting through their kickstarter program that raised almost $1.2M.
The first Shipment of 2200 printers is sold out, but they are taking orders for a July shipment. I am building my own printer
Based on the RigidBot Big but it is larger than the Rigidbot.

Holy Crap!! i didn't know these were that affordable?? Anyone make any lowers yet??

There are some that have tried. I got the Mega Download from DefCad website before the .Gov forced them to remove it.

Malodave

Last edited:
I would look into the Rigidbot Big for about $1K. They are getting through their kickstarter program that raised almost $1.2M. The first Shipment of 2200 printers is sold out, but they are taking orders for a July shipment.

That wasn't my read. After many delays (months), they are now estimating to complete delivery of their first fulfillment order by July.
https://www.inventapart.com/rigidbot.php
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1650950769/rigidbot-3d-printer/posts

We supported a very cool Matterform 3D scanner through kickstarter last September with delivery promised in 10 weeks - Nov, 2013. We and others are still waiting. Latest word is May, 2014.
https://www.matterform.net/

Be aware with Kickstarter, these are product ideas, some very clever ones, but are often without a manufacturing line or people with manufacturing experience, particularly off-shore manufacturing, importing, quality assurance,... Why they give delivery estimates without a qualified manufacturer, working production line, or export plan, or manufacturing engineers with experience in those areas is beyond me.

Some of the excuses that we have been given are priceless - "We were surprised that our manufacture shutdown his plant for 10 days for Chinese New Years." "Customs is holding our shipment, we did not use a known shipper..."

3D printing is cool. My son has a Lulzbot, but don't ask him about customer service. A forum is helpful, but it is not customer service.

My rant. BTW, I enjoy your posts.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that you can mod a pre-ban to infinity since it would be post-ban hi cap for mAss subjects.

legally you can, comrade. can't make a "higher capacity" mag, it's already "high capacity", and legit, so OP is correct in that he can extend it to infinity. perfectly legal.

however you can't do this if it is a post-9/13/94 mag and under 10 rounds, if you make that more than 10 rounds it is a "high capacity feeding device".

aren't MA laws so fun? they make so much sense. for the children.

I have a Taurus 740 Slim I wish I had an extended mag for (I know. . . taurus sucks, etc etc etc)

I measured the baseplate and extended it for +2 and VOILA!!!!!
View attachment 97919 View attachment 97920 View attachment 97921

Remember, It's okay if you keep under 10 rds (in this case it goes from 6 to 8).
If you have a preban over 10 rounds you can extend to infinity.

Buy a 3D printer now!

Have u ever made a full magazine??

After doing a little research on this subject, it looks like 3d printers will be soon printing with metal, a granular that is melted then extruded, metals like titanium, copper, stainless steel, Gold...etc etc. These seem to be quite pricey, 10k and up. I have to say, i'm intrigued by this subject.

is there a service around to print some parts? I thought that Staples was going to offer that, so you can print online and just pickup the job at your local store. It won't legally work for receivers, but sometimes it's cheaper to have other people to deal with maintenance.

Also a 3D scanners, there are some fairly cheap ones on the market. It's always easier to scan a part and make changes than start from scratch in CAD, I am talking about complex parts with lots of irregular surfaces.

Have u ever made a full magazine??

After doing a little research on this subject, it looks like 3d printers will be soon printing with metal, a granular that is melted then extruded, metals like titanium, copper, stainless steel, Gold...etc etc. These seem to be quite pricey, 10k and up. I have to say, i'm intrigued by this subject.

The machines you're talking about won't be suitable to make a magazine. Mag wall thicknesses are around .030" and printing that material would not be strong enough.

What might be useful, as ford has created, is a CNC sheet metal former that uses a ball to pound the metal into the desired shape.

I'm not sure that this would be much faster than doing it by hand.
It's certainly more exact.

These are still in R&D phase and would probably be super expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a service around to print some parts? I thought that Staples was going to offer that, so you can print online and just pickup the job at your local store. It won't legally work for receivers, but sometimes it's cheaper to have other people to deal with maintenance.

Also a 3D scanners, there are some fairly cheap ones on the market. It's always easier to scan a part and make changes than start from scratch in CAD, I am talking about complex parts with lots of irregular surfaces.

I'm setting up a business for myself with scanners and 3D printers and CNC machines.
I should have the scanner soon (inside the next month) and looking to formally launch in the summer.

I can give you special Boris pricing.

I do not make lowers or any other registerable components.
No illegal or gray area transactions!!!!

The machines you're talking about won't be suitable to make a magazine. Mag wall thicknesses are around .030" and printing that material would not be strong enough.

What might be useful, as ford has created, is a CNC sheet metal former that uses a ball to pound the metal into the desired shape.

I am not sure who you have been talking to about 3d printed metal (DMLS) because the stuff I am using is robust enough for use inside of suppressors at that thickness. You can print in Inconel 718 for christ sakes!

I have an erection just watching that vid. This has been done for ages by hand, just hammering metal over leather bean bag, but this is obviously CNC, very cool. I can see a prototype centre for a common man with a few of these, some 3D printers and other techs for rapid prototyping. Of course unless it's cheap enough. At some point if you combine them, you can custom order a dinner ware set etc.

Back
Top Bottom