• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

4 face to face transactions a year appears in car sales as well

I am thinking about selling my car privately and wanted to figure out my liability with the car. I found the following bolded text interesting. What is the deal with 4 transactions thing in Massachusetts? I buy/sell way more than 4 guns a year and am just an avid collector, not a dealer.

Chris

The Used Vehicle Warranty Law applies differently to a vehicle purchased from a private party than it does if purchased from a dealer. Under the law, a dealer is anyone who sells four or more vehicles in a 12 month period.

The Used Vehicle Warranty Law requires private party sellers to inform buyers about any and all known defects which impair the safety or substantially impair the use of the vehicle. The law applies to all private party sales regardless of sales price or mileage. If you discover a defect that impairs the vehicle's safety or substantially impairs the use, and can prove that the seller knew about the defect but failed to disclose it, you may cancel the sale within thirty days of purchase. The seller must refund the amount you paid for the vehicle, less 15 cents per mile of use.

If the "what's the deal" question is serious, then it's to provide a dividing line between running a business, and not. Even the Feds have a gray area for a C&R license - they understand that collections' contents fluctuate, but have a prohibition against using a C&R for business purposes.

Four may be a low number, but at least it's defined....with the Feds, it's nebulous.

The State requires a license to sell cars, or guns, as a dealer.....that requires a fee to the State. There you go.

I think the same thing applies to real estate too. If you are a house flipper you can sell a certain number of properties a year before you are required to get a real estate license.

Back
Top Bottom