.40 S&W loads with cast and coated bullets

NH-GP100

NES Member
First up - I do all my reloading at dads place - about 350 miles away, so have to work stuff up on the single stage, then find time to test it, then come back, re-work, wash/rinse/repeat until I get one thats worth setting up the 550 and running off a few thousand round.

Ok, so I have started to work up loads for my Glock 23 w/Storm Lake barrel and Shield .40. I have 3 nice loads each for 180 gr Hornady XTP's and Berrys RS using HS-6, CFE Pistol and W231. I plan on getting those "dialed in" (basically running up some on either side of my "best" charge wt to test for performance, etc) this trip.

The other stuff I need some help with.

I picked up 100/each of BBI coated, Falcon Falcoated and Falcon cast 180 gr bullets. I would like to make some test loads with these as well.

The Lyman and Lee manuals don't have a lot of info for cast in .40, and none at 180gr, and Hogdons website only has for the XTP's and Berrys.

As I understand it if I start off near the bottom of the scale for jacketed and don't go much above the middle of the scale I should be fine. This should work fine for me as I am looking for relatively light shooters.

Does this sound right? If so, thats good - the best groups that shot light where all roughly in the 20-40 percent area of the full working charge of the powders range. It seems I would be pretty safe and likely to find good shooters working within that range -

*BUT*

I would like some feedback, and if someone has some good info or recipes that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom