• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

44 Special Factory Loads -- kind of weak

Mikie

NES Member
So I have a S&W 29-2 and I came across several hundred 44 spl brass so I grabbed them, figuring I would reload up some lighter loads to send through my 29. Most factory reload recipes are extremely tame IMHO. I picked up some factory Hornady critical defense 44 spl and the specs on it are a 165 gr JHP going 900 fps. This is less than 300 ft lbs of ME. Do factory 44 spl have to be this under powered because those light frame Bulldog 44 5-shooters are out there?

Could be. It'll make a 2" jump.
Could be for expansion.
Could be the older models can't handle hot stuff.
Shows roughly the same specs for heavier 200/240's, so its a case limitation too.

If you want hotter, get mags.

Elmer Keith used to load some stout ammo in early S&W .44 Special revolvers, using 2400 powder. Smith finally caught on and released the Model 29 in 1956.

I also have a 29-2 I bought in 1975, I use a reduced charge in my 44mag brass so my Daughter can shoot it. The reduced recoil makes it much more enjoyable to shoot and it extends the life of my brass.

I agree that .44 special is pretty mild compared to .44 magnum but I'm guessing that .44 special is so mild because it was a black powder round and there are still some of those old guns around. Any modern large frame .44 special should be able to handle pretty stout loads. I do what Knob Creek said.

If you want, I will swap you 44 mag brass for the 44 special brass. I have plenty of 44 mag brass, but seeking 44 special brass. Also looking for complete 44 special rounds. Have a S&W model 24.

Back
Top Bottom