• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 70 ammo

Yup plenty there is 45-70 loaded and listed for "trapdoor rifles"
Remington 45-70 used to say "for all rifles" then there is light load "cowboy action " loads. Just be prepared to pay 2$ or more per round.

Hornady makes some crazy ballistic tipped stuff for the more powerful recent manufactured arms...

Even bullets are easy to cast for the 45-70. What gun is it for? Just make sure you get the right load for your gun since the pressure level varies a lot and Ruger No. 1 should only be shot in the Ruger No. 1, at least I wasn't able to find another firearm that could take the pressure when I was looking into it a little while ago although a new production Winchester 1885 or 1886 might be able to handle it.
The 45-70 is an awesome cartridge and I have a Remington Double Barrel rifle that is pretty cool, but I would like to get an 1886 as well.

And still taking down game around the country.

Indeed.
I always get a bit humored when shooters scoff over cast bullets. How many creatures and human war dead were the result of non-jacketed projectiles? They may not be the most modern, advanced and priciest bullet design, but they do work quite well.

Indeed.
I always get a bit humored when shooters scoff over cast bullets. How many creatures and human war dead were the result of non-jacketed projectiles? They may not be the most modern, advanced and priciest bullet design, but they do work quite well.

Yep. I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with 400 grains of lead [laugh]

is there a lot of 45 70 ammo out there for the gun?

Yup, all the major mfgs make ammo for it, Federal makes it in the Fusion line, Cor-Bon makes some pretty stiff loads if I'm not mistaken and the normal fodder from Remington and Winchester. You can get the pointy FTX bullet ammo from Hornandy. It's a fun cartridge to reload too.

One of my favorite cartridges,can be loaded with a "collar button " a 150 gr wadcutter type bullet to 525 gr " elephant " bullets. Cast or jacketed bullets several powders for reloading 5744,3031,Unique,4227 and a host of others.

What about more traditional M1881 for the Springfield and or other BP loads?

There are a few specialty reloaders selling BP loads or you can load them
yourself.
Now bullet seating may need some modifying depending on your bullet size and profile

You can find black powder data at balisticproducts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed.

The oldest most successful deer hunter I know , now in his eighties uses a trap door and or a lever gun in 45/70 ...

Roger that mac. I stumbled upon this today as well scroll down to the bottom for loads.
http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html

TheKoba49 has some pretty good info that I finished watching today.

There are a few specialty reloaders selling BP loads or you can load them
yourself.
Now bullet seating may need some modifying depending on your bullet size and profile

You can find black powder data at balisticproducts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you from experience the 1886 is a very nice rifle the only bad thing about it the curved steel butt plate is a killer with anything above factory loads. It will beat you into submission in short order.

Last edited:
Plenty of 45-70 options out there. As has been said, it depends what gun you're talking about. Older/weaker firearms cannot use all 45-70 loads out there. If you're talking about a new Marlin, Henry, or something like that, you can take your pick of anything available.

The only load I know of — that's available on the shelf — that has any energy to speak of is the Hornady LeverEvolution stuff. It's good ammo but you can't reload the cases because they're shorter than standard 45-70 (good value for money if you exclude the reloading issue). If it's for serious use, I get my 45-70 ammo online. Underwood Ammo and Buffalo Bore are the only companies producing full-power loads at enough volume to be semi-affordable (still $2-3/round).

Back
Top Bottom