• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45/70 bullets

The Goose

NES Member
The main reason that I got into bullet casting was to cast bullets for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle rounds (BPCR). I do not compete or anything, I just love shooting those old smokepoles. Today I shot the first round with bullets that I cast. The mold was a Lyman 457125 that casts a 500 gr. round nose. It is a very old design. My alloy was a mix of range lead and wheel weights, heavy on the range lead. I weighed the bullets shot and they were within .5 grains +/-. I ladle pour on my large caliber rifle bullets, .45 and .50. The lube is SPG black powder lube. The bullets come out of the mold at .459 and I size them at .459 to apply the lube. Powder charge was 62 grains of Goex 2F with a Winchester magnum primer. The rifle is a 1873 Springfield trapdoor .45-70 that was made in 1888. Three breaths on a blow tube in between shots and swabbed out the bore every 10 shots. The first photo shows the cast bullet (it is not really wrinkled, bad photo), then one with lube and the finished product. Second photo is at 50 yards and lastly at 100 yards. Like most old military rifles this one shoots way high at those ranges so there was a bit of good old Kentucky windage (or elevation) involved. This is about as good ,or better, that this rifle has ever shot with anyone's bullets. I was pleased. Now I want to start checking out my bullets on my Sharps and Rolling Blocks with good Soule sights to see what they really can do.

457125006.jpg

457125002.jpg

457125003.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Before his devorce I used to cast and reload .45/70 with my friend Bill. Never did any BP. Now you have me wanting a Sharps again.

Those are some heavyweights for sure. I had acquired several large caliber molds in a collection, several aren't even marked, but they are no doubt up your alley. Several NEI compound molds and others. If interested, PM me and I'll dig them out and give you some measurements and a good deal on them (no handles included).

I shoot the same bullet out of an 1873 that was made in 1874. I also shoot it out of a Sharps. For the Sharps, I seat it with one groove exposed and it's more accurate. The longer length won't chamber in the trapdoor. I also size to .459 and lube with SPG. I have several .45 caliber molds but the 457125 is the most accurate in the single shots. It's too long for the lever actions.

I like the Lyman 535 gr. Postell bullet in my ,45-70 Sharps and Rolling Block. Also in my .45-120 Sharps. The 457125 was made for the Trapdoor, it is perfect.

I shoot the same bullet out of an 1873 that was made in 1874. I also shoot it out of a Sharps. For the Sharps, I seat it with one groove exposed and it's more accurate. The longer length won't chamber in the trapdoor. I also size to .459 and lube with SPG. I have several .45 caliber molds but the 457125 is the most accurate in the single shots. It's too long for the lever actions.

Missing a little bit of lube there my friend. Otherwise excellent.

BTW, how many rounds before you need to brush the bore at the range?

45-70's are awesome. I use to collect them. Rarest I had was a Remington Lee Navy Bolt action in 45-70 looked just like the 303 Enfield. Never casted my own bullets though. Just bought them and reloaded. Nice living not to far from the Springfield Armory to research some of the stuff. Regret having to get rid of them.

You might try posting your inquiry over at castboolits.gunloads.com

There's a BIGGER audience for that kind of gun there, and NES is "mostly" New England. Your best bet might be some small place outside of New England.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I bet that someone over at castboolits will know.

Does anyone know a good place to send my 1879 Springfield trapdoor to for restoration?

Back
Top Bottom