45 acp lead fouling ? Slug barrel.

mac1911

NES Member
So I have a bare bones plain jain 1911 that I have put about 500 rounds of cast bullets through. Aprox 200 where TL452-230 LRN lubed with LLA that dropped small out of the mold and did not even touch the .452 sizer. I also ran the 230 lrn a bit fast. I am pretty sure most of the lead fouling came from those. the other 300 rounds where 185 and 200 grain SWC with 2500 lube.

I never slugged this bore so Im going to clean it. Do a chamber/lead/bore casting to see how it looks.

This bore camera is a $15 one off of Amazon so the quality is not great.

View: https://youtu.be/lIQ803IWiN4

Cleaned the bore with kroil and a loose brush wrapped in choreboy
image.jpg

Chamber cast
image.jpg

Now just have to wait 1hr and measure it
image.jpg

Last edited:
Pics aren't bad for $15

That looks like my mp9 after leading it up - foaming bore cleaner and lots of elbow grease...
I never slugged this barrel. My other 1911 slugs right at 451" so the 452 semi wad cutter leave more powder fouling than lead. Im pretty good at getting lead out. A little Kroil does wonders.

Slugs bore then size accordingly,what type of lead alloy are you using wheel weights maybe. You can increase the size of your mold look up "beagleing lee molds". A suggestion if I may look into a mold from NOE or Accurate they are more expesive but a better mold over all. They tend to be somewhat custom but worth the money.

Slugs bore then size accordingly,what type of lead alloy are you using wheel weights maybe. You can increase the size of your mold look up "beagleing lee molds". A suggestion if I may look into a mold from NOE or Accurate they are more expesive but a better mold over all. They tend to be somewhat custom but worth the money.
the 230 grain bullets where cast with indoor range scrap years ago( i did push some to the higher end of data). I loaded what was left over the past 1.5 yrs and the wad cutters are mostly wheel weights and my FAUX Lyman #2
Wheel weights and pewter mix. Faux#2 10 lbs lead .25lbs pewter.
I do cast a lot of straight clip on wheel weights. For my low pressure 45 acp I could probaly get away with range scrap or maybe even pure lead with tin with the low pressure 45 acp loads I run.

Measured casting best I could. .452" so the lee mold was dropping at . 450" explains some of the leading. i think with a soft alloy and back to my light loads my .452" SWC should do fine and keep leading down.

over all the lead fouling was not bad for the round count. Had a SW52 that leaded up quickly to i played with alloys until the mold dropped big enough.

Back
Top Bottom