.45 Lpp vs. Spp test

nstassel

NES Member
I did a very informal chrono test on loads for the .45 using small versus large primers. All the info I child find suggested there would be minimal if any difference in velocity if the load was the same.

I load 5.1 grains of WST with a 200 gr SWC. Now, not going to lie here, the rounds were not loaded back to back so there might be variation in the drops. But assuming the drop didn't change there was a variation with slower velocity. The averages were 884 vs. 840 fps

Knowing that I need 825 fps this is interesting.

Screenshot_20210927-133952_Samsung Notes.jpg

pic for interest. I shot a few rounds at 25 yards free hand for giggles.

20210926_135806.jpg

I did a very informal chrono test on loads for the .45 using small versus large primers. All the info I child find suggested there would be minimal if any difference in velocity if the load was the same.

I load 5.1 grains of WST with a 200 gr SWC. Now, not going to lie here, the rounds were not loaded back to back so there might be variation in the drops. But assuming the drop didn't change there was a variation with slower velocity. The averages were 884 vs. 840 fps

Knowing that I need 825 fps this is interesting.

View attachment 527176

pic for interest. I shot a few rounds at 25 yards free hand for giggles.

View attachment 527147
So it seems the LPP are hotter I guess? Win LPP right? Which brand SPP?

I noticed something similar using WSF powder in 45. The spp loads were quite different feeling and sounding from the lpp loads. No chrono though so I have no idea how different they were.

Back
Top Bottom