.45 shopping advice for a lefty?

I want to add a .45 to my collection. I'm left-handed and don't know what brands/models have ambidextrous safeties as standard equipment. It would also be nice to have an ambi mag release as well. It should have a 5-inch barrel and be single-action, have above-average accuracy and trust-my-life reliability. What are good quality choices under $1200?

Thanks for all good-faith recommendations and genuinely funny quips.

Are you in MA?

If so, Smith & Wesson M&P45 is probably going to be your best bet, but be sure to get a trigger job first.

Outside MA, I'd recommend the Springfield XD45.

You can get a ambi safty on a 1911, but I don't think ambi mag releases exist for that gun.

Im a lefty that converted to righty for the sake of ease but i always keep an eye out for lefty guns. Seems Walther and Smith tend to cater to the ambi types with ambi mag releases. Ambi slide releases are really hard to find. H&K are really good but tuff to find in Mass and i believe you can change it to a left side slide release. Curios, are you right or left eye dominant?

There are plenty out there with ambi safeties and mag releases, but if you want a TRUE mirror image lefty 1911 with left side ejection, your choices are few and far between, even in the $1200 price range.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas so far. I'm left-eye dominant. A completely left-handed gun is not necessary - I'm comfortable field-stripping with the left-side slide stop.

Just read through the Glock catalog, and the 10-8 forum. Current thinking is that the apparent fool-proof reliability of a Glock makes sense. But they seem very wide - is that an problem for a comfortable carry?

I want to add a .45 to my collection. I'm left-handed and don't know what brands/models have ambidextrous safeties as standard equipment. It would also be nice to have an ambi mag release as well. It should have a 5-inch barrel and be single-action, have above-average accuracy and trust-my-life reliability. What are good quality choices under $1200?

Thanks for all good-faith recommendations and genuinely funny quips.

The gun you describe does not exist. Save up and find a gunsmith that will build what you're looking for. Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but you want single action and above average accuracy. A sweetened 1911 is your cream dream.
Save up and start contacting gunsmiths with a list of exactly what you want.

The gun you describe does not exist. Save up and find a gunsmith that will build what you're looking for. Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but you want single action and above average accuracy. A sweetened 1911 is your cream dream. Save up and start contacting gunsmiths with a list of exactly what you want.
You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a custom 1911. If you can look past the lefty requirements, $1200 will easily get you what you're looking for in a 1911. If you can't find a used Kimber, check out the new Smiths. Model SW1911DK is exceptionally accurate and should meet all your requirements.

How about a Sig P220? The magazine release can be easily converted to the right side, and there is no manual safety to worry about. Your only issue will be the decocker.

Take my advice, as a lefty living in a right hander's world you should just buy a gun and learn how to shoot it. I would recommend a nice S&W model 625 Revolver. No safties to worry about, comes in 5 inch barrel, and can shoot single action if desired. Looks like it meets all your requirements.

-Cuz.

I already have a revolver, S&W model 10 bull barrel which I've owned for over 25 years. I never really liked it much. So it's going to be sold to help defray the cost of a .45. I've always liked the 1911s I've tried but have no experience with the more modern designs.

You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a custom 1911. If you can look past the lefty requirements, $1200 will easily get you what you're looking for in a 1911. If you can't find a used Kimber, check out the new Smiths. Model SW1911DK is exceptionally accurate and should meet all your requirements.

?

The whole point of my post was geared toward the fact that the OP is looking for lefty controls.

And yes, I've just aquired a SW1911, and even though I'm kind of a purist when it comes to old slabsides, I really like the smithy! I've even gotten over the external extactor, which I thought was an abomination when I first saw the Smithy line come out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom