45ACP obsolete?

Why do people say 45AARP is obsolete? Sure, now that 9mm can blow out lungs and hollow point dum dum rounds have gotten so much better today since the scary black talon days, wouldn't the same tech improvements apply to 45? 124 grain HST+p performs well and expands quite a bit. The same type of round in 230 grain +p flying ashtray in 45 should still be superior defensive round, if logic applies. What am I missing here?

Cant go wrong with 45.

More options is better, you can choose between 9mm, 10mm, or 45acp.

Nothing else is worth carrying though

You're missing where you have to listen to anyone's sorry opinion of the effectiveness of any caliber for any purpose or who say .45ACP is obsolete.

insert "opinions are like a**h***s...." quote

Cant go wrong with 45.

More options is better, you can choose between 9mm, 10mm, or 45acp.

Nothing else is worth carrying though
When I first got my LTC after moving here, the cop doing my application recommended I carry a 45 anyway, "cause civilians can't carry more than 10 bullets in a mag, why not go for the MAX".

Why do people say 45AARP is obsolete? Sure, now that 9mm can blow out lungs and hollow point dum dum rounds have gotten so much better today since the scary black talon days, wouldn't the same tech improvements apply to 45? 124 grain HST+p performs well and expands quite a bit. The same type of round in 230 grain +p flying ashtray in 45 should still be superior defensive round, if logic applies. What am I missing here?
No, I think they mean .40 caliber, not .45. Everyone knows that caliber is obsolete.

The problem with the argument that tech improvements also apply to 45 is that not everything benefits from the same improvements equally.

This again? let’s just say if I’m slappin leather and bustin caps in asses, I finna want it to be as big as possible…ipso fatso, 45 is a man’s caliber and that’s that..can’t handle it? then put your assless chaps on and go to drag queen story hour..anyone getting FtFs are just limp wristed mofos..

Wasn't that round born cause people couldn't handle a ten?
Yes. The first 10mm's were kinda HOT rounds, and many female officers couldn't handle them well.
A friend that passed long ago wrote an article on 10mm (back when they came out).
I had helped him with my FFL back then; obtain the pistol and ammo that he used for the article.
Newer 10mm's are far better pistols with improved ammunition, compared to back then.

Last edited:

23AB5A61-FA5D-4A0C-85C2-C55605B34C3D.gif

I think older generations looked at 9mm like we do .22lr. "You need a man's round in 45 ACP". Back to back World War champs, and all that. So I think the logic was that 45 ACP was the standard, and original 9mm rounds weren't delivering the same levels of lethality in whatever methods were used for measuring back when this notion came about (probably killing people on a battle field). But 9mm improved with reliable expanding hollow points and +P/+P+ energy delivery, so now it is certified "killy". And 9mm gets the advantage when it comes to capacity. But yeah, 45 ACP probably improved as well, but I think 9mm gets the "good enough" badge. That plus higher capacity in the same size mag, and you have a winner.

This isn't me saying any of this is right or wrong. Just my take on the industry.

Back
Top Bottom