• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45ACP obsolete?

Versus 9 MMetrosexual.
I have 10+1 in my 45 AND 10-1 in my 9mm. Once free to use standard capacity, my 45 will be capable of 15+1 and my 9mm will be 17+1. Two extra rounds, big woop.

Point is, your guns are ancient! Get a modern gun.
Do you mean like my glock 21. Its capacity is 13 + 1 in .45acp. My 1911's hold 10 + 1 using Chip McCormick magazines. Not much difference in round count really. Accuracy advantage goes to the 1911 however. I'll stack up my Colt, Springfield Armory and Kimber1911's against the Glock 21 any day. More modern designs are not always better. Only a fool thinks that way.

Glock 21 and 5” 1911s are nowhere near as concealable as a Glock 43x and P365xl.

I’ve still got several full sized 1911s. I never carried more than 8+1 in my 1911s. 10 round mags are a pain in the neck in 1911s. I do have a P14-45 and have flush fit 14 round mags for that gun, but carrying 14+1 45 in a 5” 1911/2011 is one heck of a lot of weight and size to carry. A Glock 21 is lighter but still a huge gun compared to a 43x.

Glock 21 and 5” 1911s are nowhere near as concealable as a Glock 43x and P365xl.

I’ve still got several full sized 1911s. I never carried more than 8+1 in my 1911s. 10 round mags are a pain in the neck in 1911s. I do have a P14-45 and have flush fit 14 round mags for that gun, but carrying 14+1 45 in a 5” 1911/2011 is one heck of a lot of weight and size to carry. A Glock 21 is lighter but still a huge gun compared to a 43x.
I have a p365 with a wilson xl frame for summer carry with shorts, but again, it doesn't have the accuracy of the 1911. Sorry to hear that 10 round magazines are a pain for you.. Again modern design isn't always better.

I have a p365 with a wilson xl frame for summer carry with shorts, but again, it doesn't have the accuracy of the 1911. Sorry to hear that 10 round magazines are a pain for you.. Again modern design isn't always better.
Of course it is harder to shoot than a full-size 1911. It’s a smaller gun with a shorter sight radius and a worse trigger. But it is much easier to carry. A 4” gun with 6+1 on your belt beats a 44 oz 5” 1911 sitting in your safe because it was too much gun to be bothered with that day.

Of course it is harder to shoot than a full-size 1911. It’s a smaller gun with a shorter sight radius and a worse trigger. But it is much easier to carry. A 4” gun with 6+1 on your belt beats a 44 oz 5” 1911 sitting in your safe because it was too much gun to be bothered with that day.
You're making me want to break out my RO Elite Compact 4" 1911 this weekend!

Under what circumstances would you ever need to shoot through a windshield?

You're making me want to break out my RO Elite Compact 4" 1911 this weekend!
Won’t matter to me. I’m inpatient at MGH ICU. I’ve made a 50-yard hit on a bowling pin with my 4” Kimber Compact back when I could see iron sites (Jon Green at Goal can attest — we were seated in the back of a moving Goal minivan at the time, I was the shooter and he was my safety officer).

But the reality is that right now, at age 62, I can’t control the recoil of 45 ACP as well as I could at age 32, and I can no longer see iron sights. My 10+1 43x is easier to carry than my 6+1 Kimber Compact, not as easy to shoot but good enough for me within 25 yards.

I’ve had 7 1911s over the years, from my POS ParaOrdnance P-14 to several Kimber Series I to a Colt Delta Elite to a Springfield Armory to a Wilson Combat 5” that I shot in IDPA and USPSA for years. I’m quite familiar with the advantages (and disadvantages) of the 1911 platform.

Well sure if you leave your 1911 at home. In that situation I carry my Sig 938. It accommodates all of those situations.

Last edited:
If it's lethal, and you can shoot it well, it isn't obsolete. Talk ballistics all day if you want, permanent wound channel vs temporary, hydrodynamic shock from high velocity low grain rounds, energy transfer via ballistic mediums, Paul Harrel's meat target results, how explodey a particular cartridge makes a ripe watermelon when shot, pig cadeavers, etc etc.

Four things matter. Powder load, projectile shape, bullet weight, bullet material. The overall size of the starting caliber means nothing compared to those four attributes.

Regardless of what round you start with, whether 9mm or a 12 gauge, you can get to your desired result by tailoring your projectile and load with the above characteristics. And desired results vary, from target shooting, competition, home defense, CC, LEO, security, hunting, etc.

Everyone has their own use case.

Same idiots who think the 30-30 is obsolete for deer hunting (or inset any other 100-year-old cartridge here).
Are they not all 100 year old cartridges in the end.
I was shooting my swede Mauser from 1913 and guy asks me what I was shooting. I said 6.5
He gets all “bro” with me and says “ no way thats to old to shoot creed.” I laughed and said “No, Swede , 6.5 Swede and its better than creed” he was not having it.
Lol, that was a good conversation. The cast loads through the 308 K98 really sent him for a loop,

6.5 Swede was ahead of its time in terms of ballistics. I could never hit bupkis with the old open sights on mine, but that is about me not the cartridge or rifle.

The shift to 9mm is market based: more people use it, more manufacturers produce it, economies of scale increase for the round, prices go down, and technology swoops in to make engineering and ballistics improvements. Beyond that, physics takes over in that the muzzle energy of .45 ACP is, on average (but not always), greater than 9mm. Your body has to absorb significantly more energy which makes it inherently more difficult to be accurate and consistent in times of high stress. For other forms of shooting (i.e. non self-defense purposes) this is all a moot point. Of course, if the .45 ACP market presented the same economics to producers as 9mm, you'd see "improvements" being made, too.

None of this means .45 is obsolete. But it has largely become isolated to a more narrow band of use cases. Still a fun round to shoot, and even more fun with PCCs.

People in general are pretty retarded when it comes to hunting and calibers.

A musket will take down anything.
Today people think .32-20 is obsolete, yet it was extremly popular for decades and was used as a deer rifle often, not with smokeless, but black powder.

Yet some still think .308 is a minimum for deer. Maybe it is, if you're shooting them at over 300 yards.

I think ill take the 45 over a bow if theres a grizzly riding a moose charging me
What if it’s Bigfoot riding the Loch Ness monster, but he’s not charging you he’s just kind of flipping you off like he doesn’t care anymore.
EE46D8DF-6582-4431-9DD2-DB68C507EDF1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom