• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45ACP obsolete?

Why do people say 45AARP is obsolete? Sure, now that 9mm can blow out lungs and hollow point dum dum rounds have gotten so much better today since the scary black talon days, wouldn't the same tech improvements apply to 45? 124 grain HST+p performs well and expands quite a bit. The same type of round in 230 grain +p flying ashtray in 45 should still be superior defensive round, if logic applies. What am I missing here?
think about it the entire smokeless cartridge should be obsolete by now, shoot what you like

Same idiots who think the 30-30 is obsolete for deer hunting (or inset any other 100-year-old cartridge here).

Last edited:
Hate 1911, love 45ACP.

I think 9mm is popular due to its low price and general acceptance worldwide. Every other caliber is for the US market only. Granted, we buy more ammo than every other country and military combined, but the "Europeans like it, so it must be quality" attitude is pretty prevalent.

P.S. Anyone who is planning to angry-type at me about "superior ballistics" can go pound sand. I don't shoot either caliber!

I don't care what anyone says, Use the caliber that you feel most comfortable with. Me, I carry a S&W 1911 loaded with 230gr. Hydroshoks, in condition ONE. I have carried for work a Model 64, Then a Sigma in 40 S&W and finally a Glock 22 in 40 S&W. I felt comfortable with all of them. Then again, I know how to shoot.

See, if had a thought about this the other day.

I wanna know why the big ammo manufactures havent put the same amount of money and time to make 45 acp better.

The same way they did with 9mm.
Better powders,better projectiles etc.

The problem with the argument that tech improvements also apply to 45 is that not everything benefits from the same improvements equally.

well theres also the argument that a whole metric f***ton of mitigating variables can make any perceived differences irrelevant.
See, if had a thought about this the other day.

I wanna know why the big ammo manufactures havent put the same amount of money and time to make 45 acp better.

The same way they did with 9mm.
Better powders,better projectiles etc.
Wat? There's literally nothing you can do, unless you want to make another cartridge.

It wasn't so much that "9mm got way better" its that the better choices started to outnumber the shit choices. 9mm had a lot of bad JHP designs or bad information transfer. EG there was no placard on the box that told you whether it was good from short barrel or not, etc. 9mm getting better was more about people making better choices and a wider variety of those better choices being available....

@DarkJoker33 like ill give you an example....

When most 45s fail they turn into 230gr ball ammo. When a bad 9mm fails (like a lot of old cheap 115gr jhps's) they frequently underpenetrate or lose mass, or even break apart..... a substantially worse outcome than even 45 ball ammo is......

IMO the .45 has two advantages: suppressor use due to the 230gr bullets being subsonic and use in a short barrel like a sub 4 inch compact/subcompact since the pressure is so low the velocity loss isn't terrible.

Other than that, I can't see a reason I would buy it. Capacity is lower than other proven calibers, .45 ammo is generally more than .40 or 10mm and much more than 9mm, and even if there was a mag capacity law (which there is for me now :( ) I would be more interested in .45 GAP if there were more pistols other than Glock in the chambering.

I only have one .45 ACP, I got it to just have at least one .45 ACP semi auto.

Remind me, what was the other round that re-engineered .45 ACP into .45 Super but without the stupid trademark to kill the round before it ever really started? was it .450 SMC? If .45 ACP is god's caliber, that makes .450 SMC god's god's caliber.

…ipso fatso, 45 is a man’s caliber and that’s that..can’t handle it? then put your assless chaps on and go to drag queen story hour..

I always wonder why people say assless chaps.. I mean, aren’t all chaps “assless?” If chaps had an ass covering, wouldn’t they just be called “pants?”

In the same size gun that I can carry 6+1 45 ACP, I can carry 10+1 9mm (15+1 in a free state).

As a round itself 45 is still fine but I’m more likely to carry 9mm. YMMV.

Last edited:
Here are your considerations for caliber in a carry gun:
  • Capacity. Obviously you can fit more 9mm rounds than .45 rounds in the same size gun. Or the same number but the 9mm gun can be smaller.
  • Weight and size - self explanatory.
  • Cost. 9mm is cheaper so you can train more.
  • Recoil. Most people can get faster follow-up shots with 9mm.
  • Bullet performance. Modern 9mm ammo is perfectly adequate. But it can't come close to how much a .45 expands. The bigger bullet will make a bigger hole, although it's questionable just how much of a difference that makes.
I carry both and I have my reasons for each. You do you and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Back
Top Bottom