• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45ACP Recipe

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Now that I've used up the last of my WIN231 I had left I need to start looking into a new recipe for reloading 45ACP. I'm currently using Berry 230gr FMJ bullets and an assortment of different brass I've picked up over time. Mostly being shot out of a 1911, but have increased shooting my G30 SF.

So looking for recommended recipes you've worked up that provide good results. At this point I'm willing to try any powder to work up a new load so let me know what you're using.

Thanks

6.2grs Unique, 230 gr FMJ, 1.255 OAL Done. Only a little dirty, gets you into stike zone of factory ball ammo but seems a little softer than some. I think this used to do low 800s out of my G21SF.

May be better powders for a G30 if you're trying to get to a velocity target, though.

-Mike

I second the Unique. I use it in my 45acp. Have shot 1000's of rounds with no trouble. I find it shoots cleaner than other powders.

6.2grs Unique, 230 gr FMJ, 1.255 OAL Done. Only a little dirty, gets you into stike zone of factory ball ammo but seems a little softer than some. I think this used to do low 800s out of my G21SF.

May be better powders for a G30 if you're trying to get to a velocity target, though.

-Mike

i'm at 6.4 unique, 230gr, same OAL. i like em spicy

I use Bullseye, 4.6Gns, 1.20 to 1.25. The longer rounds work chamber better in my 1911.
The only bad thing with the Bullseye is it appears to be pretty dirty.
I have pushed it to 5 gns and as little as 4.2. I like the way the 4.6 shoots

Almost any shotgun powder will work for 45 auto. I have HP 38,Red Dot,231. Bullseye and Titegroup for loading 45 auto. Unique will work in 45 auto,if you can't find Unique Universal Clays is very close in burn rate.

Are they FMJ or PLATED? Never saw a Berry's jacketed bullet. Never saw a plated bullet that was very accurate.
Best powders in my .45 Autos:
231/HP38
Bullseye
Red Dot
AA2
Solo 1000
TiteGroup, Clays, and N310 are problematic for me. They all have produced pressure spikes and they are only accurate over a very narrow range of charge weights (almost x.x +/- 0.0gn) and not consistently accurate. YMMV, but that is what I found.
I expect N320 would be good, but I can't afford it and haven't seen it for about a year. I expected Zip to be good, but it was a failure in my guns.

Side note:
Berry's 230gn P-RN $72.30/500 (14.5 cents/bullet). Do they have a case price?
Precision Delta 230gr FMJ - $144.00/100 (14 cents/bullet) or $124.00/1000 (12.4 cents/bullet), if you buy 2000 or more
Precision Bullets swaged and coated 230 L-RNF (199.00/2000 (0.10 cents/bullet)
I find the Precision coated bullets do everything I could desire, but I sure would save money and buy a BUNCH of Precision Delta before I bought ANY plated bullets.

I saw some 231 yesterday at Outback Arms in Plympton

I haven't seen any 231 anywhere around here, plus from a different post here I thought it was being discontinued. Figured it had dried up. Plympton is a little bit of a haul, but a road trip Saturday might be in order. May as well stop into the Foxboro show as well.

I used a 230gr 6.5gr of CFE pistol at 1.25, they shot really well and deffinately had some zip. Some 185s I used were pretty snappy too.

I have used 231, Unique, Bullseye, CFE Pistol, Accurate #5, and a few others, all with Berry's 230 gr.. They all work well at the charge weight and length that works well in my guns. Part of the fun is finding what works for your weapons.

If I had to choose, and I could get them, it would be CFE pistol, Bullseye and 231 in that order. If accuracy was the only need, then Bullseye.

Never saw a plated bullet that was very accurate.

Are you only referring to 45? I have some X-Treme Bullets that are plated .40 S&W that are accurate as my FMJ ones. I was very pleased with them and would definitely buy them again. Berry's to me is a last resort if I can't get others.

I have some X-Treme Bullets that are plated .40 S&W that are accurate as my FMJ ones. I was very pleased with them and would definitely buy them again.

Good to hear, I just bought some and was curious.

I've been shooting clays since it came out in the early nineties i run 4.0 with a 200 h&g or 230 hardball shoots clean an accurate. 20160212_085646.jpg

Back
Top Bottom