45acp with small primer?

I'm starting to pick up .45acp brass with small pistol primers (Federal NT). I see no loading data for the .45 with small primers. Is anyone reloading these? I'm just setting them aside for now (pain in the backside when they keep popping up while reloading).

Cheers

Sorting them is a PITA.....but free brass is free brass.

They will reload like any other .45 ammo but require small pistol or small rifle primers.

I use small rifle primers for all of my "small primer" applications.

Some might say to reduce the powder charge but I have not noticed any difference in performance using small rifle primers in pistol loads with no change in charge.

I'm starting to pick up .45acp brass with small pistol primers (Federal NT). I see no loading data for the .45 with small primers. Is anyone reloading these? I'm just setting them aside for now (pain in the backside when they keep popping up while reloading).

Cheers

There's nothing wrong with these. NT stands for Non-Toxic. load them the same just use a small primer. Folks I know say there's no difference. Makes you wonder why they ever made two sizes.

There is no real noticeable difference. I have started saving them. I have a couple of hundred. Loaded a few just to see. I find more of these as the brass whores tend to leave them. I dont know if I will ever use them as I have thousands of lg primer but if I get enough I may do a run of them. Biggest pain is seperating them.

They will reload like any other .45 ammo but require small pistol or small rifle primers.

I use small rifle primers for all of my "small primer" applications.

Some might say to reduce the powder charge but I have not noticed any difference in performance using small rifle primers in pistol loads with no change in charge.

Can you interchange these? I thought the rifle primers were taller than pistol primers. (I know the large primers are). Do you end up with high primers using a small rifle primer where a small pistol primer is required?

I don't really get enough to make it worth having two different syles. Every now and then I find them when cleaning up the indoor range.

There's nothing wrong with these. NT stands for Non-Toxic. load them the same just use a small primer. Folks I know say there's no difference. Makes you wonder why they ever made two sizes.

The difference is many time you need to swage the small primer pockets as the Non Toxic primers leave a ridge.

I have a bout 2000 of the set aside to work up a revolver load with. I think I can get my double action pull down to about 4# using small pistol federal primers with the 625. It is a work in progress and should be interesting.

(PS: My normal DA pull is about 6# now)

Regards,

RGS I like your avatar. What is it about small primers that makes ignition easier? Is the cup thickness different?

RGS I like your avatar. What is it about small primers that makes ignition easier? Is the cup thickness different?

Thanks, she was watching my daughter on the tread mill.

The mass is less so the strike on a revolver can be less. I can also get better seating with small pistol primers so they are below flush. It is all a game and I plan to take some time and work on this and GAP loads for my 625. It may be a waste of time but it should prove interesting.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom