4th circuit rules banning handgun sales to 18/20 YO unconstitutional

I skimmed through a bit without knowing where I was in the decision. I started reading some really weak, touchy-feely, ends-justifies-the-means legal argumentation and then realized I was in the dissent section.

Don’t get too excited. The 4th circuit is right there with the 9th and 1st as the most liberal and anti constitutional. Don’t be surprised if the liberals on the court was an en banc review and reverse this ruling.

There are 15 judges on the 4th and 9 are democrat appointees, only 6 GOP appointees. Gregory the chief judge was originally appointed by Clinton in 2000 but the GOP never voted on his nomination. As a peace offering to Democrats bush nominated him.

remember the terrible, joke of a ruling, on AR15s was from the 4th in an en banc ruling.

Stupidity. Thank Mothers Against Drunk Driving for that. When I was 18, in 1971 it was legal for 18 year olds everywhere to buy any sort of alcohol. Which lead to an unfortunate incident on my 19th birthday, but that's a different story.

Lots of people crossing state lines for drinks in the 80s. Some states had 'grandfather clauses'. Luckily Fairchild AFB was just over the line from Idaho.

Holding out for a yout to FOPA-drive their armory
from one 4th circuit state to another via the 11th/6th/3rd circuit.

Great. Now Little Jack will have to look over his shoulder for only two more years. Jack.
He needs these:
Amazon product ASIN B01M7PDI01View: https://www.amazon.com/Top-Secret-Spy-Glasses-Rear-View/dp/B01M7PDI01

Just don't click on the wrong button and get him these by mistake:
Amazon product ASIN B001DBEARYView: https://www.amazon.com/Original-X-ray-Spex-Amazing-Vision/dp/B001DBEARY/

You can legally buy a machine gun at 18 under federal law..
if your 18 your an adult end of story… you should have full rights..

I would love for this to end the 21 to buy a rifle nonsense…But I’m sure they’ll push back saying “AW” are a different story and not covered by 2a…

We really have to end this mag ban and monthy purchase limits non sense..

Good decision!!!!

You can buy a house, a car, land, own a business, take out an insurance policy, serve in the military ( 17yoa with parental concent), legally marry, all at age 18......

.......but you can't enjoy an alcoholic beverage even in the privacy of your own home, or buy/possess a handgun to protect yourself while in it.

Handgun purchase age and drinking age have to go. Let the chips fall where they may. Stupid people will either smarten up or die.

so, now, can anybody explain based on what premise they still cannot buy a beer until 21?
First, there was that pesky 21st amendment, which the courts have read as allowing States to legislate on booze as they will. Then, under Reagan, the Federal government told states, "raise the drinking age or lose 10% of your highway funding." The Supreme Court upheld that in 1987 in a decision written by Rehnquist with only O'Connor and Brennan dissenting.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked :) ?

Good decision!!!!

You can buy a house, a car, land, own a business, take out an insurance policy, serve in the military ( 17yoa with parental concent), legally marry, all at age 18......

.......but you can't enjoy an alcoholic beverage even in the privacy of your own home, or buy/possess a handgun to protect yourself while in it.

Handgun purchase age and drinking age have to go. Let the chips fall where they may. Stupid people will either smarten up or die.
QFTMFT

It does seem like a big step in the right direction. Maybe we’ll take those decisions from the courts and government officials at some point and leave it to a parent’s discretion as to how old their child should be when they can have a hand gun or a rifle.

.......but you can't enjoy an alcoholic beverage even in the privacy of your own home
Ironically in New Jersey I believe minors are allowed to drink at home provided someone 21+ buys them the alcohol, but the downside is you have to be in New Jersey.

Also many states have raised tobacco age to 21, wrong direction.

It does seem like a big step in the right direction. Maybe we’ll take those decisions from the courts and government officials at some point and leave it to a parent’s discretion as to how old their child should be when they can have a hand gun or a rifle.

If things keep spiraling downward in this country and the chaos keeps spreading, some people are going to have no choice but to issue their young teenagers a gun to stand a guard post for X number of hours a day/night.

Ironically in New Jersey I believe minors are allowed to drink at home provided someone 21+ buys them the alcohol, but the downside is you have to be in New Jersey.

May be so, I've avoided N.J. and everything about it for decades.....I was referring in particular to an 18yo out on their own, in their own home.

Lots of people crossing state lines for drinks in the 80s. Some states had 'grandfather clauses'. Luckily Fairchild AFB was just over the line from Idaho.

The University of Illinois straddles the border of Champaign and Urbana. For several years, the drinking age for beer and wine in Champaign was 19, but only 18 in Urbana.

so, now, can anybody explain based on what premise they still cannot buy a beer until 21?
The only beer in the Constitution is the one they spilled while writing it.

mf iPhone. . .

many states allow you to buy a beverage for a minor child even in a restaurant.

It should be lawfully impossible, for .gov, to deny a 18 year old, the purchase of a firearm, to protect themselves with, when .gov is perfectly happy to supply, that same 18 year old, with multiple firearms, including fully automatic firearms, to protect .gov's many interests.

Last edited:
I had completed two tours of duty in South East Asia and at the end of my enlistment, in the Marine Corps, I was discharged. At that time, I was still not old enough to buy myself a beer in my home state of Massachusetts.

You can legally buy a machine gun at 18 under federal law..
if your 18 your an adult end of story… you should have full rights..

I would love for this to end the 21 to buy a rifle nonsense…But I’m sure they’ll push back saying “AW” are a different story and not covered by 2a…

We really have to end this mag ban and monthy purchase limits non sense..
What monthly purchase limits?

California and I believe other states limit the amount of handguns or “weapons weapons” You can purchase a 30 day period. That only is that a stupid law why would they just say you can only on so many guns.

What monthly purchase limits?

Virginia limits how many guns you can purchases in 30 days. The GOP repealed the law 10 or 20 years ago or so but the dems reimposed it when they took over in 2019. I think a few other states have a similar law

Virginia limits how many guns you can purchases in 30 days. The GOP repealed the law 10 or 20 years ago or so but the dems reimposed it when they took over in 2019. I think a few other states have a similar law
I love it when they set goals!

Don’t get too excited. The 4th circuit is right there with the 9th and 1st as the most liberal and anti constitutional. Don’t be surprised if the liberals on the court was an en banc review and reverse this ruling.

There are 15 judges on the 4th and 9 are democrat appointees, only 6 GOP appointees. Gregory the chief judge was originally appointed by Clinton in 2000 but the GOP never voted on his nomination. As a peace offering to Democrats bush nominated him.

remember the terrible, joke of a ruling, on AR15s was from the 4th in an en banc ruling.
This is 100% spot-on correct. Look for an en banc reversal and a denial of cert from SCOTUS (possibly with another angry Alito dissent).

Back
Top Bottom