• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5.56 federal msr gone from Target Sports in record time

Ugh LC brass is no better than any of the other M193/855/223 brass out thier.
LC brass does not get any special treatment. Other than the primer and bullet are crimped and sealed on 5.56 NATO.
As for "annealing" all brass gets annealed in the process. "Mil spec" or NATO brass is not polished after the fact.

Agreed, not “better” but it does have a slight edge in case capacity over commercial .223 brass. If you are a reloader duplicating mk262 (77smk loaded hot), it matters.

As for "annealing" all brass gets annealed in the process. "Mil spec" or NATO brass is not polished after the fact.

That was helpful. I researched a bit and found this annealing process for ammo safety and accuracy to be fascinating. One question I do have is why a case of loose polished .223 costs the same as a case of individually packaged non-polished 5.56.

That was helpful. I researched a bit and found this annealing process for ammo safety and accuracy to be fascinating. One question I do have is why a case of loose polished .223 costs the same as a case of individually packaged non-polished 5.56.

not really an answer, but different stuff costs different. Plant overhead, projectiles, powder all cost money and it isnt the same for all companies.

Stuff also gets sold at different prices based on what sells best.

This is more of a market/manufacturing question than an ammo question.

Not a bad deal, there were better deals via online plus a Winchester ammo rebate brought it Unser 28/rd and 223 for even less. Good ammo deals these days using the AmmoDrop app

Because it’s “mil spec” and why not, people keep paying

Maybe the costs of packaging and polishing cancel each other out?

Agreed, not “better” but it does have a slight edge in case capacity over commercial .223 brass. If you are a reloader duplicating mk262 (77smk loaded hot), it matters.
I can’t accurately measure case capacity (tried with water) but I’m going to gander there’s no real useable difference in case capacity for 223/556?
I will bet donuts to billets that there’s more case capacity variation between cases of the same lot than from manufacture to manufacture.

Last edited:
This I know Mac,
All my good experience with Lake City is from the good old days when they were exclusively a military supplier and the ammo they left behind.
Not their "new" shenanigans...
~Matt

Well I checked and found there was one more loose case left of the Federal ammo plant .223 with the shiny brass in stock. So now it’s coming to me. Apparently the Lake City stuff is highly reloadable due to the annealing process making the brass have that tarnished look. Reloaders’ comment?

This will be a good comparison to the msr 5.56 that I burned through already. That was good stuff. I like the idea of the highly polished brass like the other Federal american eagle 124 gr 9mm 1k that I shot through many different platforms as well. I also snatched up the last 3 boxes of Independence 5.56 from LC.

Here’s a quote from the Q&A section of the bulk .223 page:

Question:I like what my friends call "Lake City ammo. The 55 grain FMJ had a NATO symbol and "LC" as part of the head stamp. Several vendors offer Federal 55s and 62s in different boxes. Some with American Eagle, others just "plain box" Federal. How do I determine which has the highly-reloadable "LC" brass? Rather than counted on (90% BS) forums, I just want to know what the "genuine LC/NATO stamp boxes look like. Thanks - jeff (02/21/2018)
Response:Hi Jeff, the easiest way to tell is by looking at the brass. If the brass is polished and shiny that means it comes from the Federal Ammunition Plant and it is not Mil-Spec Lake City. Lake City brass and ammunition goes through an annealing process and looks tarnished, but it is as you know better quality etc. Hopefully this information helps. Thank you for buying ammo at TargetSportsUSA.com

I bought a case of the PPU M193 ammo which shoots very well in my FN barrel. The primer pockets aren’t crimped which is nice. One less step when I reload the cases. Yes it’s not as cheap as Wolf or Federal. I just wanted to try it out after hearing good reviews.

This I know Mac,
All my good experience with Lake City is from the good old days when they were exclusively a military supplier and the ammo they left behind.
Not their "new" shenanigans...
~Matt
We have a nice lady at the club worked LC plant in the Olin days. She giggles when she here’s people get all giddy over LC match.
Her quote
“Only thing we did was top off a round with a M1 ball projectile and a LC match stamped case, same machines, same brass same powder”
It’s all good and fun.

Does anyone know if this is an annual rebate offer or is it new for 2018/2019? Since I’m new to the game I do not know of this.
when sales are slow they tend to have incentives for us to buy more, so "giving back" $ for ammo you buy gets people spending.

I think we did this in another thread.

Still not woth my time to buy a case of American Eagle over a case of Wolf Gold, then sit around cutting out 50 upc labels, copy paper work, mail it off to Federal and wait three months for a check just so I can net a $22 savings over the Wolf.

That’s just me though, if you have the time and patience, cool.

:emoji_tiger:

I think we did this in another thread.

Still not woth my time to buy a case of American Eagle over a case of Wolf Gold, then sit around cutting out 50 upc labels, copy paper work, mail it off to Federal and wait three months for a check just so I can net a $22 savings over the Wolf.

That’s just me though, if you have the time and patience, cool.

:emoji_tiger:
Do what you like, but its like 5 minutes of work. Basic form, name address etc, ONE barcode and a copy of the shipping invoice. Typically I forget about it so the check a few months later is a nice surprise.

If you buy enough to get the $500 limit back that’s enough in savings for a barrel or two if you think you worn out your rifle with that much ammo

Told my wife about this and she asked if I had recently purchased “rifle rounds,” which happened to be 500 rounds of .223. She asked why I needed 1,000 more rounds.

Apparently “stockpiling” is not a valid response, gents.

Good thing I didn’t show her this:

WTS - LAKE CITY XM855 62GR GREEN TIP 5.56MM 12,500RD DRUM $4,999.99

Last edited:
Last edited:
QUOTE="citoriguy, post: 6203325, member: 67436"]Told my wife about this and she asked if I had recently purchased “rifle rounds,” which happened to be 500 rounds of .223. She asked why I needed 1,000 more rounds.

Apparently “stockpiling” is not a valid response, gents.

Good thing I didn’t show her this:

WTS - LAKE CITY XM855 62GR GREEN TIP 5.56MM 12,500RD DRUM $4,999.99

I got ya beat but you do have a pretty drum!

View attachment 270290 [[/QUOTE]

Save $1700+ and you’ll get 500 more rounds. I seriously don’t understand that dealer. I guess if you don’t know any better you’ll think 43 cents (factoring in tax) per round is a decent deal?...

And that green tip shit is far from accurate.

Back
Top Bottom