5.56 federal msr gone from Target Sports in record time

Iirc, ATK split, with their consumer related half (CCI, Federal, etc) becoming Vista and the other half becoming ATKGlobal, which was bought by Northrop Grumman.
Right but still ATK/NG runs the LC plant ....where most of the ammo is made..... Dont know if the new plant in ohio is running yet?
Any how its crazy who owns what and how they are tied togther.

with the money you save buying the AE stuff and rebate you can buy several ammo boxes!
Looks like after rebate the 5.56 would come to about 29 cents per round (if you are a Prime member). If you compare that to four cents less for the Wolf (showing as 25 cents each for me), you're spending about $16.80 for the ammo can, stripper clips, and spoon plus any perceived difference between .223 and 5.56 XM193 (FWIW on ArfCom many are reporting Wolf Gold is more accurate than XM193).

Not terrible, although you can often get cans cheaper than that (Academy was doing steel/sealed 50 cal cans for something like $8-$10 each with free shipping a year or two ago, that's when I grabbed a bunch). Some stripper clips would be cool, but not worth the cost, I don't think.

One other thing I'm not clear on:
It says 300 rounds minimum, does that mean total for your order, or as "one item." Could you buy two of the 150 round cardboard boxes and qualify (or fifteen 20 round boxes for that matter), or does it need to be a 300+ round container?

That said, I filed a rebate Dec 4 (Black Friday deal) and I still haven't received the check; "10-12 weeks for processing" and I'm currently on week 11.

My rifles enjoy the Federal XM855 in 62-grain flavor, so I picked up a 420/can on strippers for $139.95
With the rebate of $21 bucks ($0.05 off per round, 420 x .05 = $21) that brings the price down to $118.95 a can or $0.28/round, on strippers, with spoon and a new mil-spec ammo can.
Phenomenal price...

What platform you using for these strippers

iu
iu

iu
They'll fit...

My rifles enjoy the Federal XM855 in 62-grain flavor, so I picked up a 420/can on strippers for $139.95
With the rebate of $21 bucks ($0.05 off per round, 420 x .05 = $21) that brings the price down to $118.95 a can or $0.28/round, on strippers, with spoon and a new mil-spec ammo can.
Phenomenal price...
If you can find it for $139 that’s good.
Although TSU non prime price is $156

Interestingly, the 62 gr is 128.75 for prime, whereas the 55gr is 143.52.

So, as a Prime member, the 62gr is now working out to be half of a cent more expensive per round than Wolf Gold after rebate, plus the can, plus the clips and spoon.

Prime Prices:
62gr = 128.75 / 420 = 30.6 cpr - 5cpr rebate = 25.6 cents + ammo can + strippers + spoon
55gr = 143.52 / 420 = 34.2 cpr - 5cpr rebate = 29.2 cents + ammo can + strippers + spoon
Wolf 223 = 25 cpr (no extras)

So for the 62 gr you're getting the can, strippers, and spoon for $2.52 compared to buying straight Wolf Gold...I think I'll grab one, actually.

The 62gr is steel penetrator, though, so don't use it with steel plates.

Interestingly, the 62 gr is 128.75 for prime, whereas the 55gr is 143.52.

So, as a Prime member, the 62gr is now working out to be half of a cent more expensive per round than Wolf Gold after rebate, plus the can, plus the clips and spoon.

Prime Prices:
62gr = 128.75 / 420 = 30.6 cpr - 5cpr rebate = 25.6 cents + ammo can + strippers + spoon
55gr = 143.52 / 420 = 34.2 cpr - 5cpr rebate = 29.2 cents + ammo can + strippers + spoon
Wolf 223 = 25 cpr (no extras)

So for the 62 gr you're getting the can, strippers, and spoon for $2.52 compared to buying straight Wolf Gold...I think I'll grab one, actually.

The 62gr is steel penetrator, though, so don't use it with steel plates.

I thought about getting some steel tipped stuff but unless I was in an “Escape from New York City” event why would it be needed? I love the jacketed stuff hollow point or otherwise for its effect on organic matter. I intend to hit the range next week with some large veggies or fruits for good ‘ole fun.

I thought about getting some steel tipped stuff but unless I was in an “Escape from New York City” event why would it be needed? I love the jacketed stuff hollow point or otherwise for its effect on organic matter. I intend to hit the range next week with some large veggies or fruits for good ‘ole fun.
It's more about the weight than the steel penetration for most people. For many, the heavier grains work better in their barrels, esp. 1:7 twist etc. Many target shooters use 77+ gr projectiles.

Others want the steel penetrator for self defense / TEOTWAWKI / doomsday scenarios, in which case they're likely stashing it away.
A few years ago there was the M855 ban scare where it was going to be considered "armor piercing" or something, so there was a big run on it.

In this case, for me, it's just cheaper. If the M193 clone was cheaper, I would have chosen that instead.

TSUSA non-prime is $139.95...today, not including the $21 rebate, so $119. [smile]

M855 Joy

I now regret not getting the Prime membership 13 or 14 orders ago. The savings would have probably bought a box of this for free, but I kept telling myself:
"You have enough ammo...You have enough ammo..."

World's worst mantra...

Last edited:
TSUSA non-prime is $139.95...today, not including the $21 rebate, so $119. [smile]

M855 Joy

I now regret not getting the Prime membership 13 or 14 orders ago. The savings would have probably bought a box of this for free, but I kept telling myself:
"You have enough ammo...You have enough ammo..."

World's worst mantra...
i asked for TSU prime for xmas, did not get it. Probably worked out best as im starting the year broke an with unexpected debt...

i asked for TSU prime for xmas, did not get it. Probably worked out best as im starting the year broke an with unexpected debt...

I never thought of it for a Christmas/Birthday present! That is a great idea. The gift that keeps on giving...
~Matt

Now repeat after me, Never enough ammo!, never enough ammo!:D

Never enough ammo!, never enough ammo! OhM...

E5B68C11-1419-40CE-9079-4FC0CBE64335.jpeg

Ha, I actually asked for it for Father's Day, but ended up shelling out on my own.
I get lots of Amazon gift cards as gifts or from work and use them to buy targets, Ballistol or reloading dies; it's one reason why my equipment costs have been low.

So, I was checking out the benefits of joining TSUSA Prime Membership and this last line caught my eye:

"Free Mystery Ammo Box
- During the 3rd quarter of the first year of your membership, you will receive free ammo based on purchase history!"

So there have been more than a few saying that they got "mystery" ammo that doesn't coincide with any firearms they own, or past purchases they've made.

Is this the case?

~Matt

So, I was checking out the benefits of joining TSUSA Prime Membership and this last line caught my eye:

"Free Mystery Ammo Box
- During the 3rd quarter of the first year of your membership, you will receive free ammo based on purchase history!"

So there have been more than a few saying that they got "mystery" ammo that doesn't coincide with any firearms they own, or past purchases they've made.

Is this the case?

~Matt
I have a feeling they made an addendum based on customer feedback just recently.

Ah! Or, maybe Target Sports USA lurks here... [smile]

They would make an excellent "Dealer" member, and I'm sure that NES has kept their shipping department busy...

Maybe we can get "deep discounts" on pallet-sized orders of Group Buys.

Back
Top Bottom