• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

50 Caliber Grenade

Dayum that's espensive.

According to the article, the 275gr JHP should be coming out of the barrel at about the same speed as Rem Golden Saber (230gr JHP). Thats a 19% increase in the projectiles kinetic energy, and a 46% increase over the same load (Rem GS) in 9mm.

For 3x the expense and 1/2 the magazine capacity....is it really worth it?

While stainless is sexy as evidenced by my wife's affinity for this gun, it's not a practical finish for a law enforcement weapon. Stainless steel doesn't do well under the daily stresses of duty use.

Can someone explain this statement ?????

The old BPD Ruger Service Six revolvers were stainless, and they held up pretty darn well, same as the S&W #64's & #65's that many other PD's carried for ages.

Can someone explain this statement ?????

The old BPD Ruger Service Six revolvers were stainless, and they held up pretty darn well, same as the S&W #64's & #65's that many other PD's carried for ages.

I agree that was simply a stupid statement to say the least. What could hold up better then stainless?

3.75 a round? Wish I could afford to shoot it but alas my wallet wont allow it.

This conversion is 50 GI (Guncrafter Industries), not 50 BMG. Definitely not cheap, but I think you're looking at 50BMG ammo prices.

What could hold up better then stainless?

4140 and 4340 (even better - slightly) carbon steel if corrosion resistance is not an issue. This doesn't generally make a difference, but can manifest itself in tightly fitting semi-autos keeping their fit longer with a high quality carbon steel than with stainless.

Be interesting to see if this turns into another 45 GAP fiasco or if it has staying power. Honestly think it's an answer to a question that never needed to be asked. Another caliber that will probably fall by the wayside in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom