• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5 grendel opinions

Thinking of getting a rifle,most likely a bolt action in 6.5 grendel and curious about the cartridge. I do know of one company that sells a complete upper for AR 15 but not sure if it could be shipped here.
Honestly I'm liking the bolt action won't have to go looking for brass launched into the next county.

Thinking of getting a rifle,most likely a bolt action in 6.5 grendel and curious about the cartridge. I do know of one company that sells a complete upper for AR 15 but not sure if it could be shipped here.
Honestly I'm liking the bolt action won't have to go looking for brass launched into the next county.

The 6.5 Grendel was designed for the AR15 platform. It’s a fun and “affordable” option to add on to your AR lower and reliably shoot out to 600 to 800 yards. Im not saying you can’t find a bolt action but it wasn’t the design intent. If your desire is a 6.5 cartridge for bolt action I would say stick with 6.5 Creedmoor.

What makes you think an upper can't be shipped here?

The 6.5 Grendel was designed for the AR15 platform. It’s a fun and “affordable” option to add on to your AR lower and reliably shoot out to 600 to 800 yards. Im not saying you can’t find a bolt action but it wasn’t the design intent. If your desire is a 6.5 cartridge for bolt action I would say stick with 6.5 Creedmoor.

+1, same deal with 6.8 SPC or .260REM with an AR10 lower.

Bolt action in 6.5mm, there's a whole litany of options that don't have to fit the design parameter of "will it fit in a PMAG?" Depends on what you're using the gun for. 6.5x55, .243, 6.5CM, etc.

What makes you think an upper can't be shipped here?
Who knows what lurks in the heart of Maura. The upper I saw had a flash hider that would have to be changed to a muzzle break and pinned. Honestly I'm getting to old to be hunting down brass that been chucked all over creation

I agree that if you aren't going AR, get one of the other 6.5s for a bolt action. If you aren't going to reload, the 6.5 Creedmoor is probably the easiest ammo to find. If you are going to reload, there's even more choices. I've got a Savage 110 in 260 AI, and I have considered a 6.5 Grendel AR upper just because I already have a bunch of bullets I can try out.

Also, plenty of AR brass catchers out there. I've have a couple different ones, and they're both fiddly to set up but work fine.

I have 2 ARs right now and I do have a tendency to go bolt action or single shot ( Sharps,Browning,Ruger no1) but in this case a bolt action peeks my interest plus I'd like something unconventional that I could have fun with without breaking the bank and my shoulder. Ammo shouldn't be that tough to find and if worse comes to worse I got tons of 7.62x39 brass I could reform to 6.5 grendel

I have 2 ARs right now and I do have a tendency to go bolt action or single shot ( Sharps,Browning,Ruger no1) but in this case a bolt action peeks my interest plus I'd like something unconventional that I could have fun with without breaking the bank and my shoulder. Ammo shouldn't be that tough to find and if worse comes to worse I got tons of 7.62x39 brass I could reform to 6.5 grendel

Why not just buy a 7.62x39 bolt action if you already have 7.62x39 brass? That way you don't have to reform brass, you'll use the brass you have, ammo would be cheap once the panic subsides, and you'd have a bolt action.

Ruger American® Rifle Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Model 16976

Savage Model 10 7.62x39 - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 860046153

You mean 6.5 Creedmoor right? ;) If you want a bolt action long range pew pew thingee, that would be the way to go.

I have 3 rifles in 7.62x39 2 CZ527s and a Ruger M77 MK II that's why I have brass in that caliber. Not a "long range" shooterI'm lucky to get decent groups a 100 yds. And yes I do mean grendel not creedmore. The Howa is just a tad over $500 with tax etc out the door when it arrives. 20" heavy barrel synthetic stock bolt uses an ARc15 style extractor/ ejector and IIRC rifle is under 6 lbs no scope.

The Howas I've run into have looked good, just not left handed enough for me. 😁 Ought to be entertaining in 6.5 Grendel. It's optimized for a different application, but I think it'll work just fine in a bolt. I'm interested to hear how it works out. I've thought about a Grendel AR, but can't decide between 6.5 and 6.

ETA - if we're looking at another run on ammo supplies, I'd bet that 6.5 Grendel will be relatively immune, in the same way that 40 S&W and 17 HMR were during the Obama ammo crunch.

Last edited:
I'm a left handed shooter as far as rifles go but of the rifles I have my only bolt action is a Remington in 308 all my other bolts a right handed. Once I get everything together rifle,scope & mounts,dies erc and somewhat warmer weather it'll be off to the range.

The Howas I've run into have looked good, just not left handed enough for me. 😁 Ought to be entertaining in 6.5 Grendel. It's optimized for a different application, but I think it'll work just fine in a bolt. I'm interested to hear how it works out. I've thought about a Grendel AR, but can't decide between 6.5 and 6.

ETA - if we're looking at another run on ammo supplies, I'd bet that 6.5 Grendel will be relatively immune, in the same way that 40 S&W and 17 HMR were during the Obama ammo crunch.

17HMR was unobtainium in all of the states around PA during 2012-2013 for me. If it was readily available to you I think your were lucky.

17HMR was unobtainium in all of the states around PA during 2012-2013 for me. If it was readily available to you I think your were lucky.

Huh - regional demand differences, I guess. I shot a lot of 17 HMR because I couldn't get 22LR.

I'm a left handed shooter as far as rifles go but of the rifles I have my only bolt action is a Remington in 308 all my other bolts a right handed. Once I get everything together rifle,scope & mounts,dies erc and somewhat warmer weather it'll be off to the range.

I've tried to convince myself that if it's going to be a bench rifle, right handed would be fine. It hasn't worked yet. Closest I've got is embracing the left bolt, right port configuration, so I'm working up to right/right.

I'm left eye dominant tried to function right handed but just didn't work out.
If bench gun then a RH rifle is fine. You wont even need to break position to cycle bolt or load. Well depends on how far back that bolt comes.

6.5 Grendel looks great on paper but as stated its intent is to bring a little more power a little further downrange in an AR15.

Once you are off that platform options increase...

As a bolt gun or in an AR10 you get .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor - either does what 6.5 Grendel does and then some.

If you are 400 yards or under .308 kinda wins, more power to the target with similar adjustments. Getting much over that and 6.5 Creedmoor starts to shine, especially for punching paper.

To me it sounds like maybe lots of things would peak your interest, but .308 is a great all around one to own in a bolt gun or otherwise.

Edit: just saw that post you made stating you have a .308 bolt gun (durr) but I will leave this up anyway even if impertinent

Do you need a different BCG for 6.5G that what you’d use for 5.56/.223? I believe you need a different BCG if shooting 6.5CM on an AR-10 than if you were shooting .308.

Do you need a different BCG for 6.5G that what you’d use for 5.56/.223? I believe you need a different BCG if shooting 6.5CM on an AR-10 than if you were shooting .308.

Don't know about Grendel but Creedmoor some manufacturers say the same BCG is for both, others have a special slimmer firing pin, difference seems to be minor if at all.

I wont tell u how to live your life.

But I have one on an ar platform... I love it soft shooting accurate as hell. And wolf costs about 7 bucks a box.

I got a killer deal on mine. And have never seen it in a bolty but get it. Super fun round

I followed a few 6.5 creedmor threads and they got hit with manbun memes.
So what is the 6.5g meme equivalent? Small manbun and braided beard?

I just ordered an 18" Grendel upper and am looking for some nice (inexpensive) glass for it. SWFA, PA, Vortex, Hawke, whatever.
What type of glass. Quick target acquisition type or target ?
I have several Hawke scopes . Found them to be very nice for the money.
Vortex I do like but I i dont like thier reticles. Either to busy for my likes or the reticle is not black its almost a translucen gray to my eye?
So many choices with scopes these days. I grey up on 5/8 and 3/4" fixed or 3 x9 s

What type of glass. Quick target acquisition type or target ?
I have several Hawke scopes . Found them to be very nice for the money.
Vortex I do like but I i dont like thier reticles. Either to busy for my likes or the reticle is not black its almost a translucen gray to my eye?
So many choices with scopes these days. I grey up on 5/8 and 3/4" fixed or 3 x9 s
This is strictly target, 100 yards, maybe future uses out to 400.

I picked up an SWFA 10x42 Tactical rear focus Demo B on samplelist.com for $269.

Yes, 6.5 Grendel has it's own AR bolt. 6.5 G has the same case head diameter as 7.62x39, but the depth cut into the bolt face is different. And there are two variants of the 6.5 G AR bolt out there, so research before buying.

6.5 Grendel: Type I vs. Type II

OP, the only reason to get a 6.5 Grendel bolt action instead of a 6.5 CM is if you intend to SBR it to make it a really handy woods rifle. 6.5 Grendel is great in 11.5-12.5” flavor. It has a good bit of bullet drop because it leaves the barrel a little slow, but it doesn’t lose too much velocity in the air because of its high ballistic coefficient.

Yes, you need a different bolt for 6.5 Grendel. It has less meat around the outside to accommodate the wider brass. You also need new magazines. 300BLK is the one to get if you want to use the same bolt and magazines. That or .277 wolverine, but that’s a wildcat cartridge for reloaders.

6.5CM uses the same bolt and magazines as 7.62/.308 in AR-10s. It’s an easy swap for a little less kick and better ballistics. A 16” 6.5CM will give you better wind-bucking than a 20-22” .308 if I recall the charts. Of course that’s is bullet dependent, but I think that was comparing each cartridges more slippery bullets.

Back
Top Bottom