6.8 Grendel Build

I just got off the phone with Bill Alexander of Alexander Arms (maker of .50 Beowulf and 6.8 Grendel ARs). Apparently 6.8 will work through a standard .223 upper, .50 won't (the case is too big to get out the ejection port).

However apparently 6.8 is a bit tricky to put together and get working right, its just fussy.

Any one have any experience putting together a 6.8 Grendel gun?

AE

I just got off the phone with Bill Alexander of Alexander Arms (maker of .50 Beowulf and 6.8 Grendel ARs). Apparently 6.8 will work through a standard .223 upper, .50 won't (the case is too big to get out the ejection port).

However apparently 6.8 is a bit tricky to put together and get working right, its just fussy.

Any one have any experience putting together a 6.8 Grendel gun?

AE

You are confusing two different calibers. The 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel.
ARs can be built in either one. Which are you talking about?

There are a number of manufacturers making 6.8 SPC uppers. Near as I can tell, there is only one making 6.5 Grendel. You can get 6.8 SPC factory ammunition from Remington. Who makes 6.5 Grendel ammo?

Wolf does make brass cased 6.5 ammo and I think Hornandy makes it for Alexander arms under the AA name. Hornandy also makes 6.8 SPC ammo and the stuff is great, but no shops I have been in stock the 6.8 nevermind the 6.5. I have not been able to find a vendor who has the Remington and will ship to MA but I have had better luck getting the Hornandy. Either one of these is a good candidate for reloading...

There is another company who is making 6.5 uppers and the name escapes me now, but Midway carries it. As for the fussy part, An AR is an AR regardless of caliber they all work the same way, sometimes you get one that gives trouble but I think most run good...that's my opinion though..

Last edited:
There are two or three shops around m e that have both the 6.8, 6.5 and .50 Beowulf stuff. 6.5 and .50 are both of the Alexander Arms Flavor as well. But let me tell you, if you think the price of 5.56 is high you will cringe when you see th cost of 6.5

-DM-

My mistake: Should be 6.5 Grendel.

And yes, its spendy for the ammo, if I get a gun set up in any of those calibers I'll buy the reloading gear with the rifle:)

AE

Legal Transfers in N.H. is having a lot of sales right now here's 2....

458 SOCOM UPPERS A4 16" FT with FF Tube
$599 shipped. Call for Brand

6.8 FT 16" Uppers $439 shipped Top Quality Call for Brand

603-770-2281

"Top Quality Call for Brand"

That sounds like a ploy to get ypu on the phone and sell you on what he has vs a name brand with a resale value.

Back
Top Bottom