7.62x39 ammo

My buddy at work was cleaning out his safe, and gave me a case of this:
IMG00108-20110319-1222.jpg

It was in an 1120 sealed tin, and he said it was Yugoslavian. My question is, is it known to be corrosive? If it is corrosive, are cleaners containing ammonia the way to go?

Last edited:
IMG00108-20110319-1222.jpg

ETA: M67 is mildly corrosive. IIRC, the primers are corrosive, the propellant is not. I shot plenty of it through my SKS, and never had any problems with it. I never bothered to do more than a squirt of CLP and a boresnake, personally.

at best treat as corrosive, as atmay said doesnt seem to be very corrosive. I have shot a ton of this stuff through my bubba SKS which was purchased pre rusty from poor storage so Im not to concerned. Although when I clean it up after a 500 round day several "weeks" later it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Its pretty decent ammo to boot.

It is some of the best 762x39 ammo to hit our shores. It is corrosive so clean accordingly.

Nice friend!![smile][wink]

Its been cheap as hell lately because its corrosive but rumored to be very good ammo and plus it usually comes on stripper clips that work.[wink]

Don't forget to clean your bolt and gas port/tube after shooting it too.

My dad has an sks rifle now to. we bought some wolf an blue bare ammo for it. its says non corroisive on the box. is that fine to use thre the sks rifle. where do you get the corroisve ammo. also he just bought a mosin nagant 91/30 the othor day. Is there just coorise ammo for this gun or is there non corroive to. one more question. if 7.62x39 ammo can be corroive and non corrosive. why isent there non corroisive and corrosive for 7.62x54 ammo. thanks

My dad has an sks rifle now too. We bought some wolf and blue bear ammo for it. It says non corroisive on the box. is that fine to use through the SKS rifle. Where do you get the corrosive ammo. Also, he just bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 the other day. Is there just corrosive ammo for this gun or is there non corrosive as well. One more question; if 7.62x39 ammo can be corrosive and non corrosive, why isn't there non corrosive and corrosive for 7.62x54 ammo. thanks

1) Yes. The only ammo I would not recommend using in the SKS is stuff like the Remington hunting ammo, due to the primers used and the SKS' firing pin design.

2) Corrosive ammunition is typically older surplus. Ammo from the 40s, 50s, 60s and maybe 70s stands a good chance of being corrosive. If it's surplus, and you don't know for sure, clean like it is corrosive just to be sure. Newly manufactured commercial ammunition will NOT be corrosive, and will probably say so on the box.

3) Most of the 7.62x54R on the market seems to be surplus, and therefore probably corrosive. You can get non-corrosive commercial ammunition for it too, however. It is usually sold as the same brand names as 7.62x39; Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Gold Flying Monkey, etc.

The corrosive part is generally the primer compound. Much of the surplus (usually meaning older) ammo from Russia and other European countries (China, too) tends to use these primers and the residue tends to attract moisture and hastens corrosive reactions. If you buy the newer commercial Prvi Partizan, Wolf Gold and US manufactured ammo for 39 and 54R, you'll be getting non-corrosive fodder.
Similarly, older US arsenal ammo used corrosive primers. This link should help in sorting headstamps and dates of mfr.:
http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf
Corrosive ammo isn't the end of the world, just be aware and give your firearm a quick cleaning after use before extended storage.

I've used a pretty good cleaner for corrosive ammo. 1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide,, and 1/3 murphy's oil soap. Seems to do the trick , and easy to make.

From the following advertisement on Samco Global, even the 1999 ammo produced by Prvi Partizan is corrosive:
"7.62x39 Ball. Manufactured by PRVI PARTIZAN factory Yugoslavia in 1999, FMJ, 123 Gr., C/BE, Brass cases, Lead core bullet, Packed 15 rds per box. 1260 rds per sealed zinc lined wooden case. Wt. 63 lbs"

Back
Top Bottom