7.62x39 Fixed Mag AR Lower?

Is there a manufactuter making the fixed mag AR lowers in 7.62x39 or is an 80% with a mag lock my only hope?

I'm thinking about building a pistol in that caliber since it's cheaper, more available and more efficient in a short barrel than 5.56

I know magazine's are finicky but it sounds like the 10 rounders are fairly reliable.

Good to know. I was looking for a stainless mag but they are all sold out or discontinued.

I've tried the pre-ban 20 or 30 round mags and they couldn't load more than 6 rounds without jamming. Not that you could use that in a fixed mag rifle anyway, just saying.

Probably a stupid question but if I file down the bolt catch to not lock back on an empty magazine would the bolt hang up on the follower?

I don't think I would since as soon as you put a round in the mag, it would release the bolt. You'd want to have the control of the bolt release to decide when you want to do that.

I don't think I would since as soon as you put a round in the mag, it would release the bolt. You'd want to have the control of the bolt release to decide when you want to do that.
I was thinking of leaving the bolt catch for manual operation but filing off the follower arm to have it not lock back automatically. I'm thinking it's just an extra step to drop the bolt when toploading. I am not aware of a MA Loader or quick strip for 7.62x39

I was thinking of leaving the bolt catch for manual operation but filing off the follower arm to have it not lock back automatically. I'm thinking it's just an extra step to drop the bolt when toploading. I am not aware of a MA Loader or quick strip for 7.62x39

Or you could just use a brace. That said, I think it would be pretty cool if you could feed standard sks clips. And then filling the follower is a great idea. Extended takedown pin and a pull ring?

Or you could just use a brace. That said, I think it would be pretty cool if you could feed standard sks clips. And then filling the follower is a great idea. Extended takedown pin and a pull ring?
Yeah that is the plan, a brace and a quick pull pin. It would be cool if there was a spoon to use sks clips but I'm fine with loading them loose. It will just be a range toy.

In my mind just using a brace also includes using standard capacity mags. alas, fixed mag is the only way to bend the knee to her majesty. I think a feeder spoon for stripper clips is totally doable. I’ll try to model one and print it in the next month. Got stripper clips and 10rd 7.62mags so shouldn’t be too hard. I’m trying to thing of a way to make them reliable as a part of the clip, to make it faster than having to place and then remove some sort of spoon.

I'm thinking of abandoning this plan.

-The 7.62x39 AR Stoner mag doesn't seem to stack/feed right. The rounds nose dive and rim lock in the mag. It has an anti-tilt follower. Maybe some follower tilt would help?

20210213_183758.jpg

-The Cross Armory Mag Lock interferes with anything more than 3 rounds as it's catch is much deeper. It sits deeper than inside ribs of the 7.62x39 mag.

20210213_184426.jpg

-The magazine can be flexed enough with a standard mag catch to be removed (without a follower). The standard catch sits at the height of the ribs.

20210213_184238.jpg

Attachments

• 20210213_184426.jpg
    20210213_184426.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 0
That's strange. I have 4 or 5 of the AR Stoner x39 mags and don't have that problem. Are you sure that's the right mag? I think mine has the caliber molded into the follower.

That's strange. I have 4 or 5 of the AR Stoner x39 mags and don't have that problem. Are you sure that's the right mag? I think mine has the caliber molded into the follower.
Yes it has ASC marked on the follower. I can try tweaking/trimming the feed lips or try multiple magazines as other people have suggested online. However it still seems far more difficult to top load than a pmag and I'd have to epoxy it into the lower or something to ensure it can't be removed.

I should note that this lower seems to have a looser magwell.

I'm kind of leaning towards a non fixed rifle build in x39 at this moment. Then faulty mags can be discarded.

Back
Top Bottom