• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x51 Headspace Gauges

84ta406

NES Member
Been looking and reading upon headspace Gauges for my FAL and CETME-C build and honestly my brain hurts. For the FAL recommended HS is 1.632 but the Forester GO gauge is 1.635 and NOGO is 1.645 which is HUGE. Their .308 set is 1.630GO and 1.634 NOGO, I know a few of you guys have built 7.62 rifles, what are you using? Is it worth just spending double the money on a PTG set? Ive done a lot of reading around and I think the more I read old threads the more confused I get haha. The other problem is I can't find half of them for sale. Clymer is out of stock everywhere I looked. Forster has minimum and max.

Here's the chart I found, Ideally I'd like to to fit 7.62 and .308 brass.

1.630" Forster GO
1.630" Winchester .308 minimum
1.6315" NATO 7.62 minimum
1.632" Clymer GO
1.634" Forster NO-GO
1.636" Clymer NO-GO
1.638" Forster FIELD
1.638" Winchester .308 maximum
1.640" Clymer FIELD
1.640" NATO 7.62 maximum

Last edited:
There isn’t any need for one on the Cetme C. You measure and adjust bolt gap not headspace.

I used Forster .308 Go/No-Go/Field set for my M1A build that I barreled/timed/headspaced myself and they worked good enough for my needs. The go 'goes', the no-go 'don't go' and the field is a 'F*CK NO'. I estimate that my headspace is somewhere around 1.623-1.633 based on where my bolt lug is sitting when various gauges are in, but I guess I'll never be exactly sure? Can one use a fired case to determine exact headspace? Obviously not optimal for a 'new build', but maybe once at least verified as 'safe' w/aforementioned gauges, use a fired case to determine approximate or exact? I'm just spitballing here.

Sure...there's more extensive sets out there that 'real' builders have, but I'll i'm concerned with is checking rifles when building them, and maybe once every couple of years checking the headspace on rifles I shoot often to make sure i'm still in the pink.

I'm curious...can you PM me info on your FAL build? I need another project to get to in 5 years and am building a stockpile :D

Comes down to what your going to shoot . If your going to be dumping surplus 7.62Nato from all countries far and wide the 1.631 or 1.632 go gauge is probably your best bet.
my 308 M1 is cut to 308 win 1.630 and somtimes will hiccup on random 7.62NATO

Back
Top Bottom