7.7mm jap?

some one is selling a gun in the classified section here on NES that is a 7.7mm. i looked around a little bit and couldn't find 7.7mm ammo. is it really that hard to find? and would a gun like this be good as only my second?

any other info about 7.7mm would be great.

thanks

You can sometimes find it at gun shows, but yes - it is fairly rare. Most of the stuff you see is Norma, which is premium ammo with a price to match.

Best route, of course, is to load your own - a fraction of the cost, and you can tailor it to your needs.

Good Luck!

I have made 7.7 Jap shells out of 30-06 brass cases as well as 270 brass cases. It takes a bit of doing but with a little time it works well. The bullet diameter is .312 which is the same size of .303 british ammo.Good luck.

I have made 7.7 Jap shells out of 30-06 brass cases as well as 270 brass cases. It takes a bit of doing but with a little time it works well. The bullet diameter is .312 which is the same size of .303 british ammo.Good luck.

8x57 Mauser is actually a better choice for brass as you won't have to trim it at all...just full length size and neck size. Graf sells 7.7 brass fairly cheaply as well. In all honesty, reloading your own 7.7 will benefit you much more as you will be able to find the best bullet weight/type for your particular rifle.

and would a gun like this be good as only my second?

any other info about 7.7mm would be great.

thanks

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...&categoryId=10465&categoryString=653***690***

Ammo is expensive and Midway will not send to MA residents (only free-staters benefit from Midway ammo). I own an Arisaka 98 and it kicks like a mule. Reloading is the only way to afford to shoot this beast. I bought some Norma factory ammo a few years ago and reload it.

If you are looking for a second rifle, I would not recommend this one due to the cost of the ammo. Find a rifle that costs a little more, but is cheaper to use!

Regards,

Bob

Did you mean a m99 Arisaka??
I agree with spending more to spend less. Think....7.62x54r. Arisaka's never did much for me, but that is me.
I hope you do well, whatever your choice. jp

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...&categoryId=10465&categoryString=653***690***

Ammo is expensive and Midway will not send to MA residents (only free-staters benefit from Midway ammo). I own an Arisaka 98 and it kicks like a mule. Reloading is the only way to afford to shoot this beast. I bought some Norma factory ammo a few years ago and reload it.

If you are looking for a second rifle, I would not recommend this one due to the cost of the ammo. Find a rifle that costs a little more, but is cheaper to use!

I agree with spending more to spend less. Think....7.62x54r. Arisaka's never did much for me, but that is me.
I hope you do well, whatever your choice. jp
jp

I agree with spending more to spend less. Think....7.62x54r.
jp

Did you mean m99 Arisaka? I agree w/ spending more to spend less. Think, 7.62x54r. jp

Regards,

Bob

if i bring home reloading equipment my parents might have a fit. and at a buck+ a round, a might stick with my 22 for now.

thanks guys, all of your feed back was very helpful.

arasaka 99

cartridges are sold by GRAF privi partizan.about what you pay for any.
brass is $39 per 100.
I dont know what P14 is shooting but I have 5 and they kick about like a 308.I also load with lead bullets with a lite charge.and 150sp for hunting.should be able to buy for $100/150 in good shape.[smile]
new shooter: I lived on holliston st medway.where do you shoot Hopkinton?maspenock has not got their range fixed yet have they.
If you shoot pistol try hopedale$35 a yr 22 to 45cal.

Last edited:
cartridges are sold by GRAF privi partizan.about what you pay for any.
brass is $39 per 100.
I dont know what P14 is shooting but I have 5 and they kick about like a 308.I also load with lead bullets with a lite charge.and 150sp for hunting.should be able to buy for $100/150 in good shape.[smile]
new shooter: I lived on holliston st medway.where do you shoot Hopkinton?maspenock has not got their range fixed yet have they.
If you shoot pistol try hopedale$35 a yr 22 to 45cal.

i dont have a range right now[thinking]

about a month after i bought my rifle i transferred schools and i am in a dorm right now. when i did shoot it was with boston_irish and we went to the range he uses. so i am actually looking for a range currently so this summer i can get some shooting in.

i actually started a thread on this a few days ago, i would love your input since you are from the area:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33752

thanks

Back
Top Bottom