700-X 45ACP Questions

I'm getting back into reloading after a 15 year hiatus and appear to near ready to roll. I've set up a Dillon 650 and will start again with 45ACP. In the past I used Winchester 231 powder almost exclusively. After picking up the Lyman handbook (50th edition) decided to try 700-x this time. After picking up the powder, my confusion began... It seems both Hodgdon and IMR are making powder labeled 700-x... I can't find which 700-x the handbook refers.

Anyway, I picked up Hodgdon Hi Skor 700-X. If I'm reading the handbook correctly, I really shouldn't need to exceed 3.6 grains. In fact the handbook says outright not to exceed without a good reason. The web data is saying 4.4 grains. I have a feeling the difference could be lawyer CYA. I'm hoping a few people with more Hodgdon 700-X experience can provide advice.

Thoughts?

Anthony

Look up data on the Hodgdon site for your projectile weight. I do see IMR 700X in my reloading data app, but not the Hodgdon powder.

Personally I would have stuck with the win231 powder. Especially since that's ball powder not extruded flake. IME ball is easier to measure.

I've loaded many rounds using 3.7 grains of 700X under a 200-grain lead semiwadcutter. It's accurate, cycles the action reliably, and doesn't beat up the gun or the owner. The Lyman 49th manual shows a maximum load of 5.5 grains under a 200-grain lead SWC. I can't see a reason to go that high, as fast-burning powders like 700X, Bullseye, etc. spike the pressure level without providing maximum velocity. If you need to push .45 slugs at 900- 1000 fps there are lots of other powders better suited for the job.
One complaint you'll hear is that 700X, being a flake powder, doesn't flow well through powder measures. I haven't found that to be the case with my old Dillon 550, but I'd suggest you cycle it through your machine several times and weigh each charge. It would be hard to get in trouble at 3.5 - 4.0 grains if the measure is a little off, but at max charges it's another story.

Back
Top Bottom