• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7th grade field trip

usp45ct

NES Member
My son goes to a public school in western Mass and his class is going on a field trip to the Springfield Armory.

in today's climate, I think it is pretty cool.

Absolutely cool. Make sure he asks for the movie in the MG room.

Don't forget.........the Springfield Armory is a National Park with no less status than Yellowstone or Acadia. It should be a must-see for all local schools as it is history that goes back to Washington. Did you know that there were tunnels there at one time that went from the Armory to the CT River?? Amazing place. I got to see a lot of the "unseen" stuff back when I was buddies with one of the Superintendents, Doug Culliard.

I'd send a note to the teacher thanking her.

Rome

Absolutely cool. Make sure he asks for the movie in the MG room.

Don't forget.........the Springfield Armory is a National Park with no less status than Yellowstone or Acadia. It should be a must-see for all local schools as it is history that goes back to Washington. Did you know that there were tunnels there at one time that went from the Armory to the CT River?? Amazing place. I got to see a lot of the "unseen" stuff back when I was buddies with one of the Superintendents, Doug Culliard.

I'd send a note to the teacher thanking her.

Rome

i did know about the tunnels, and the ranges underneath STCC. I went there for 2 years before going onto another school, but never made it to the armory.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you volunteer as a chaperone?

yes and she said she has no problem finding chaperones for this trip, but big problems prodding the chaperones along to keep on schedule.

hilarious. I guarantee if I went, this trip would cost me over $1000 as I would come home and garand up.

I remember going there when I was about that age, maybe a little younger. Very cool to see. I was thinking about checking it out again now that I'm older have a different take and appreciation for firearms and history. Make sure he gets a rubberband gun from the gift store lol. Although in todays world I think you'd have a parent-teacher conference with the SWAT team and the principal as they hold more than 10 rubberbands and dont have a manual safety anywhere. And when fully loaded they have a tendency to fire on their own :D Perhaps a slingshot would be better. Theyre single shot.

Great place and they are really active on farcebook posting collection items. They should all do the junior ranger program there. I had my kids do it. It was a who's who and what's what of U.S. Firearms.

Ya know, I'm thinking that maybe.......just maybe, we should arrange for an NES day at the Armory. We can arrange for a special tour if we do it well enough in advance and approach the Friends of the Armory group with enough money. Then we can all have lunch together. It would be a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon sometime. So many 'events' that NES has going are located in the Eastern part of MA. Central Ma would draw a good crowd, I think, especially if it were well advertised.

Just thinking out loud.

Rome

Just started with an ejector and auto bolt release. Just arrived, have not installed yet. Anything else I need to look at, Polish, or be careful of?

Ejector and auto bolt release are simple to install; drop in parts. Get your son started early/right, get the manual (https://www.volquartsen.com/products/890-gun-guide-for-10-22). Extended mag release is nice depending upon what's already on his gun: https://www.volquartsen.com/products/165-extended-magazine-release-for-10-22-and-10-22-magnum

Just took this pic:
1022.pg.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom