• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR lower and build

Hello, I didn't know where I should post this, so i apologize if it's in the wrong area. I am contemplating buying 80% lower and building an AR. I just don't know if it is worth it or if I can even do it being that I live in CT. If I could get some feedback before I make any purchases, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

You can do it.
But it's against the law in CT.

Read it and weep: (from despp: Firearms)

Who may possess Assault Weapons in Connecticut?

Law enforcement and military personnel may possess Assault Weapons in connection with their official duties, and any person who has a Certificate of Possession issued by the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit may possess the Assault Weapon listed on their certificate.

Can I get a Certificate of Possession for my Assault Weapon now?

Yes, a Certificate of Possession must be obtained prior to January 1, 2014 The only exceptions to this would be a person who has been out of state serving in the military prior to October 1994, or a person who receives an Assault Weapon through bequeath or intestate succession providing the weapon already had a certificate. In these instances, the person has 90 days to register the weapon with the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

Assault Weapon Certificate Application
pencil.gif

Please submit proof that you purchased the weapon on or prior to April 4, 2013. A valid sale receipt and or a DPS-3 form or sworn affidavit are acceptable forms of proof.

I just became aware of CT law from this thread.

Mass has more grey area about ARs.

I wonder if you could build or buy a CT compliant AR?

Is there such a thing?

Maybe requires some sort of bolt action or permanent magazine?

Maybe a wierd looking stock without a protruding grip.

NY and CA have odd restrictions like that.

I just became aware of CT law from this thread.

Mass has more grey area about ARs.

I wonder if you could build or buy a CT compliant AR?

Is there such a thing?

Maybe requires some sort of bolt action or permanent magazine?

Maybe a wierd looking stock without a protruding grip.

NY and CA have odd restrictions like that.

The nuts and bolts of CT assault weapon laws as I understand them, and DCMDON and JAD may jump in here and correct me.
What I'm writing is based upon my personal experience, which comes from living in CT from 1977 until 2016 as a resident, and now spending summers in CT while living in Georgia.

Up until Sandy Hook, no big deal, buy what you like, and just do the 4473.

Post Sandy Hook, you had a limited period of time during which you could declare to the state any "assault weapon" you possessed and receive a certificate of registration for it. You also could declare your "high-capacity" magazines. (This of course is somewhat problematical because they're not serial numbered - but it means that you can legally have in your possession the items that you declared).

At that time, and the last I knew, you could still purchase "pre-ban" AR's, IE, pre Clinton ban. I have heard that this "loophole" has been closed, I do not know if that is true or false.

However, you cannot purchase, sell or transfer any non-pre-ban "assault weapon" in CT at this time with three exceptions -
1) There's a carveout for law enforcement and military; they're exempt.
2) You can sell your registered AR to a dealer to be sold out of state.
3) Your estate can transfer your registered AR to a successor upon your death, (providing they're "qualified").

I currently have several ARs that are registered in CT. I guard that paperwork very carefully. If any of those lowers are destroyed, I'm SOL, because they can't be replaced unless I can get the factory to re-issue the lower with the same serial number, which I doubt.

Many, many, many people in CT did NOT register their "assault weapons". Nothing has happened to them. However, it's an incidental charge if anything else goes wrong in their lives.

The only way you could could build a compliant AR would be to build one that doesn't meet the definition of an "assault weapon". So, I'm guessing a bolt-action would be the way. Which isn't really an "AR".

Connecticut sucks. But not as bad as Massachusetts.

And neither of them suck nearly as badly as California, New York, New Jersey or Maryland. They really suck.

Mass is still better.

If you can prove your lower is pre Healey you can build it.

That’s not saying much.

IDK - is your freedom worth it? I built one off an 80% post 7/20. Yea - i'm drunk as f*** posting this. Come and get me Maura. People on this site are a bunch of pussies who will cave to Herr Healy's edicts. Unfortunately for the fascists - I know how to use a drill press and a router. SIC SEMPER TYRRANIS!!! I've plan in place and a security system tgat can detect a field mouse infiltrating my property.

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - "She seeks with the sword a quiet peace under liberty." - Massachusetts State motto

Look at all the "Big Patriots" and those who claim to follow the principles of our foundibg fathers - men who were going to be hanged for treason if caught. Their excuses: "OH I'VE GOT A WIFE AND A FAMILY!!!". GOOD FOR YOU! How many of those boys who died in the revolution had wives snd families - many of them not even old enough or had the chance to be with a woman before they died from musket ball, canon fire, sabre, disease, starvation, or freezing to death.

Look at what the Freedom Shop builds. There are plenty of ways to build AR pattern firearms (not rifles) legally in CT.

CT is much better than MA in this regard.

IDK - is your freedom worth it? I built one off an 80% post 7/20. Yea - i'm drunk as f*** posting this. Come and get me Maura. People on this site are a bunch of pussies who will cave to Herr Healy's edicts. Unfortunately for the fascists - I know how to use a drill press and a router. SIC SEMPER TYRRANIS!!! I've plan in place and a security system tgat can detect a field mouse infiltrating my property.

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - "She seeks with the sword a quiet peace under liberty." - Massachusetts State motto

PUI. [party][rofl][party2][puke]

Back
Top Bottom