• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% lower

I am asking for a coworker who recently got his gun license. Is it legal to purchase an 80% lower and machine it and build it yourself or have the laws changed he is receiving conflicting answers and that’s all I appear to be finding online?

I’m his co worker it wasn’t letting me post my buddy’s dad is ATF and is trying to tel me I can’t?

I am asking for a coworker who recently got his gun license. Is it legal to purchase an 80% lower and machine it and build it yourself or have the laws changed he is receiving conflicting answers and that’s all I appear to be finding online?
The laws have not changed.

I dont live in mass and am not a lawyer but didnt her majesty rule no new evil killy black/scary rifles after some arbitrary date that has already passed?

If you lived in a state without such a ban it would be perfectly legal......

Not sure that Mr ATF would be authoritative on mAss law......Fed law does not prohibit any such thing

Exactly this.
Federal law says that people can complete 80% lowers for their own use.

State laws vary.
Massachusetts has law, and then Massachusetts has statements made by the Attorney General which appear to be establishing new "guidelines".
As a spectator only, I'm not at all sure of the legality of her position; but it's certainly not my a$$ on the line.

Go read up on "pre-bans" and on "07/20", and then make your own best informed decision.
Do NOT trust some random guy from the internet; it's your life, not his.

I think it’s not allowed in MA. But I honestly don’t know. I want an AR but didn’t get my license til ‘17. Just accepted the fact that I’m SOL unless I wanna fork over $1500. I suppose you could just build the rifle and keep it hush hush. It’s not like her edict is legal (not sure if the Boys will accept that reasoning if they find it though)

If you listen to Maura's re-intepretation of state law, no new black scary rifles that weren't owned here prior to her decree date 7/20/16 (I think it was 16). You or your friend can buy an AR owned and "registered" here prior to that date, or build one up from a lower purchased prior to that date, or at least that is the general consensus these days. Pre-94 is even way more legal o_O

Her enforcement notice means jack shit. It was a bullshit scare tactic to shut down new purchases of AR and AK platforms from dealers. She hasn’t arrested or charged anyone in almost 3 years and she won’t! All the lawsuits are moving forward and hopefully she gets her ass handed to her by a REAL federal judge. For now, go to the classifieds here or armslist for a person to to person transfer, online for a pre94 rifle and go ahead and make as many 80%’s as u want! She can’t do shit and she knows it! I wish some FFLs in MA would lawyer up and tell her to screw, follow the law and transfer AR and AK rifles. As far as the ATF guy, treat Feds like mushrooms...feed em shit and keep them in the dark.
Exactly this.
Federal law says that people can complete 80% lowers for their own use.

State laws vary.
Massachusetts has law, and then Massachusetts has statements made by the Attorney General which appear to be establishing new "guidelines".
As a spectator only, I'm not at all sure of the legality of her position; but it's certainly not my a$$ on the line.

Go read up on "pre-bans" and on "07/20", and then make your own best informed decision.
Do NOT trust some random guy from the internet; it's your life, not his.
c

I think it’s not allowed in MA. But I honestly don’t know. I want an AR but didn’t get my license til ‘17. Just accepted the fact that I’m SOL unless I wanna fork over $1500. I suppose you could just build the rifle and keep it hush hush. It’s not like her edict is legal (not sure if the Boys will accept that reasoning if they find it though)
U can make as many 80%’s as u want

Wasn't one of the reasons the challenge to her edict got thrown out was since she hasn't prosecuted anyone no one could claim harm?

The obligatory:

There are avenues as posted above.

Bob

The law allows you to build an AR. The AG's interpretation of the law does not. Proceed with caution.

Well, BOHICA if you land in prison. That said the penalty for the first failure to file an FA10 is a fine, no jail time.

The law allows you to build an AR. The AG's interpretation of the law does not. Proceed with caution.
Yep. There is no born on date that magically appears on new rifles either. Just STFU and lawyer up if you have a problem.

As others said, Maura's BS is no where to be found in the MGL....still.

What's the cite for this fine? Isn't that with regard to failing to record a transfer?
Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms under section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and any nonresident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than such a licensee or person, and receives such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, within the commonwealth shall within seven days after receiving such firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, report, in writing, to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services the name and address of the seller or donor and the buyer or donee, together with a complete description of the firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, including the caliber, make and serial number. Whoever violates any provision of this section shall for the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years.

Here’s a thought:
Say you have an 80% lower, and you send in a request to the ATF to SBR it. Let’s say the ATF approves this (not sure if they would or not, I’ve heard conflicting reports). Can you now, legally, build the SBR according to the law in MA? Seeing as it is now an NFA item, and has a barrel shorter than 16”, it would no longer fit MA classification as an “assault rifle”, no?

Here’s a thought:
Say you have an 80% lower, and you send in a request to the ATF to SBR it. Let’s say the ATF approves this (not sure if they would or not, I’ve heard conflicting reports). Can you now, legally, build the SBR according to the law in MA? Seeing as it is now an NFA item, and has a barrel shorter than 16”, it would no longer fit MA classification as an “assault rifle”, no?
Good question that no one knows the answer to. You could argue that an SBR does not meet the legal definition of a "rifle" at all under MA law. Chances are it'll cost you a LOT to argue that since it will be in court.

Heres something Ive been wondering about. (I am not SUGGESTING or encouraging this, merely asking about the legal ramifications of the scenario)

So from what ive heard if you posessed an 80% lower before the enforcement notice, it was legal to complete (and register?) it after the notice similiair to how it works with stripped lowers.

Scenario: an unmarked 80% lower, completed and kept in the home, perhaps even post-healey (Hi Maura!) for personal use only (not pinned 10 round). Some fanatical anti-2A LEO shows up and books you for posession of an AW or a "copycat weapon" post Healeys decree. You claim it was completed before the decree. Therefore the burden of proof would be on THEM to prove it was completed after the Healey notice wouldnt it?

Scenario 2: same as above, except you claim you possessed the 80% lower BEFORE the enforcement notice but COMPLETED it after, as allowed by lord Maura.

Scenario 3: Not really a scenario, just wondering how registration would effect the scenarios above.

Heres something Ive been wondering about. (I am not SUGGESTING or encouraging this, merely asking about the legal ramifications of the scenario)

So from what ive heard if you posessed an 80% lower before the enforcement notice, it was legal to complete (and register?) it after the notice similiair to how it works with stripped lowers.

Scenario: an unmarked 80% lower, completed and kept in the home, perhaps even post-healey (Hi Maura!) for personal use only (not pinned 10 round). Some fanatical anti-2A LEO shows up and books you for posession of an AW or a "copycat weapon" post Healeys decree. You claim it was completed before the decree. Therefore the burden of proof would be on THEM to prove it was completed after the Healey notice wouldnt it?

Scenario 2: same as above, except you claim you possessed the 80% lower BEFORE the enforcement notice but COMPLETED it after, as allowed by lord Maura.

Scenario 3: Not really a scenario, just wondering how registration would effect the scenarios above.
She has decreed that even OWNING one is illegal, even if bought prior to her decree and after '94. Build it now, own it now. Still the same felon in waiting.

Back
Top Bottom