• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80 Percent Glocks (Polymer 80)

GM-GUY

NES Member
Lets say someone were to build up one of these to a working G19 variant (say from our friends at 5D Tactical) in Mass. What then? Can you even register it in Mass/do you have to? Federal level says you are good as long as it is for personal use.

I know Glocks have been on the AGs hit list for at least 2 seat warmers, does this effect a Polymer 80?

If you do have to register, is there a timeframe? 10 days rings a bell.....does it need serialization?

Don't think I would build one until things went sideways (maybe next week :rolleyes:), but it got me thinking; what if I had a complete kit laying around 80 Percent Glock 19 Complete Kit | 9mm G19 Kit Online - then what?

I haven't changed my view on registering anything, anywhere in today's climate is silly - but can you and how in Mass?

I efa-10'd mine. Didn't even call it a Glock, since technically the frame is a p80 (which is what I called it), no black helicopters yet.
After it can fire do you have any recommendation on who to serialize it ? Or should we have that done before the build out ?

Last edited:
Mill, build, eFA10 registration, done. Glocks aren't illegal to own or anything, only illegal for dealers to sell to us peons.

This. Nothing wrong with building one. Register within x days of it being able to fire a shot.

Did you have to serialize it ?

My understanding is no. Only need to serialize it if you later decide to sell it.

Mill, build, eFA10 registration, done. Glocks aren't illegal to own or anything, only illegal for dealers to sell to us peons.

This is what you have to do under MA law as soon as its capable of firing a shot. Fed law you do nothing, but cant sell it unless you serialize it I think. Id tread lightly on selling as it would be evidence of you manufacturing fireams for sale.

There is a big difference in buying a serialized lower from an FFL and putting together and selling, there is in buying a part and then MAKING it into a firearm under ATF rules and then selling.

I believe the whole idea is personal use on these.

And its not a Glock. The frame says P80 or Polymer 80 or something, id assume that is what you would register as with no serial number. There are lots of people that have registered firearms in ma with no serial number, like old guns, etc. this is nothing different.

If you buy a kit and never build then you do nothing as its not a firearm federally until you mill it, and not a firearm in MA til it’s totally built and capable of firing.

That all said, if your registering it, id just rather buy a built Glock. Its cheaper, easier and probably more reliable, and you can sell it if you want.

The idea behind these are really for free staters to have a firearm without .gov knowing.

Technically in MA we have registrations and cannot do that. That does not preclude anyone from having parts lying around that can be built up though.

Last edited:
... My understanding is no. Only need to serialize it if you later decide to sell it.

You will not find a law cite that requires you to EVER serialize a home built firearm. Go ahead and try.

Further, you will PROBABLY not be able to find a gunsmith or FFL willing to serialize it for you.

There is no requirement (in Mass) to serialize a home built firearm, ever.

Lets say someone were to build up one of these to a working G19 variant (say from our friends at 5D Tactical) in Mass. What then? Can you even register it in Mass/do you have to? Federal level says you are good as long as it is for personal use.

I know Glocks have been on the AGs hit list for at least 2 seat warmers, does this effect a Polymer 80?

If you do have to register, is there a timeframe? 10 days rings a bell.....does it need serialization?

Don't think I would build one until things went sideways (maybe next week :rolleyes:), but it got me thinking; what if I had a complete kit laying around 80 Percent Glock 19 Complete Kit | 9mm G19 Kit Online - then what?

I haven't changed my view on registering anything, anywhere in today's climate is silly - but can you and how in Mass?

What is the concern/fear? Is it an assault weapon? Is it full auto? A MA LTC holder can own ANY handgun that is not an assault weapon or full auto. Why do people confuddle restrictions on what DEALERS can sell into restrictions on what they can own?

"Pre-ban Glocks" comes to mind as another manifestation of this. Glocks are NOT banned. Build it, register it, shoot it, enjoy it.

The restrictions on gun owners in MA are bad enough without making up new restrictions on yourself.

I still have to get to the range with mine. I solved my final problem (hadn't seated the spring that holds the takedown Wonkavator thing) and it seems to be 100% now. I got parts from LoneWolf and because I had already had that order going, I think I spent an extra $35 for some trigger-group things. That trigger is amazing.

It's not cheap. About $600-700, provided you don't go too crazy on slides and such. But for a fun little project and something you can totally enjoy at the range, it's worth it.

Then I refer you to the first part of my comment, which was that it simply is not required. It isn't and I don't know why people seem to insist that it is. NOBODY has yet shown me the law cite to prove it.

Oh, definitely not arguing about that. 0 requirements to serialize anything you build for yourself.

Is the difference between this and an AR lower the fact that you are making yourself an assault weapon (per 7/20 guidance) in that case, but with the polymer 80 you are making yourself something that isn’t illegal to possess?

Genuinely ignorant here. I assume you can FA10 a P80 and enjoy life, but you can’t FA10 a competed AR 80% lower? Or maybe can FA10 it but you’re still a felon if found in possession (again assuming for the sake of argument that the 7/20 clarification is “law”)? I understand the line of reasoning that if the 7/20 guidance isn’t taken as law, then possession of an AR without enough features is not a violation of the AWB.

We're talking Glock frames, not AR 80%'s. I'd not even venture a guess as to the rules and regs of an 80% frame and Maura.

Is the difference between this and an AR lower the fact that you are making yourself an assault weapon (per 7/20 guidance) in that case, but with the polymer 80 you are making yourself something that isn’t illegal to possess?

Genuinely ignorant here. I assume you can FA10 a P80 and enjoy life, but you can’t FA10 a competed AR 80% lower? Or maybe can FA10 it but you’re still a felon if found in possession (again assuming for the sake of argument that the 7/20 clarification is “law”)? I understand the line of reasoning that if the 7/20 guidance isn’t taken as law, then possession of an AR without enough features is not a violation of the AWB.
And that is why we are suing her ass. NO ONE KNOWS. Currently, BY WRITTEN LAW, you may fa-10 a 80% AR Lower. But, according to Herr Healey, she thinks that the law says something it does not. And has thus re framed the phraseology of the original AWB to fit HER wants. According to de Fuhrer of the Commiewealth, they are illegal. Because she is SMAHTAH then the literally 100's of thoousands of cops, lawyers, legislators, gun owners, manufacturers, and PRIOR AG's, who though that out pre-7/20 AR's wer okey dokey.

This is what you have to do under MA law as soon as its capable of firing a shot. Fed law you do nothing, but cant sell it unless you serialize it I think. Id tread lightly on selling as it would be evidence of you manufacturing fireams for sale.

There is a big difference in buying a serialized lower from an FFL and putting together and selling, there is in buying a part and then MAKING it into a firearm under ATF rules and then selling.

I believe the whole idea is personal use on these.

And its not a Glock. The frame says P80 or Polymer 80 or something, id assume that is what you would register as with no serial number. There are lots of people that have registered firearms in ma with no serial number, like old guns, etc. this is nothing different.

If you buy a kit and never build then you do nothing as its not a firearm federally until you mill it, and not a firearm in MA til it’s totally built and capable of firing.

That all said, if your registering it, id just rather buy a built Glock. Its cheaper, easier and probably more reliable, and you can sell it if you want.

The idea behind these are really for free staters to have a firearm without .gov knowing.

Technically in MA we have registrations and cannot do that. That does not preclude anyone from having parts lying around that can be built up though.

Great summary. Seems like a good choice in MA is you want a firearm you can build in seconds but the state doesn’t know about.

If you are inclined to register this hypothetical home-built non-Glock firearm, the correct procedure would be to list the manufacturer as you, because you built it and the serial number as NSN (No Serial Number).

If you are inclined to register this hypothetical home-built non-Glock firearm, the correct procedure would be to list the manufacturer as you, because you built it and the serial number as NSN (No Serial Number).

You would just register it to yourself. No seller.

The frame (which is the firearm once built) says p80 or polymer 80. It doesnt have your name on it. Why would you list your name as a manufacturer. Not a good idea.

You would just register it to yourself. No seller.

The frame (which is the firearm once built) says p80 or polymer 80. It doesnt have your name on it. Why would you list your name as a manufacturer. Not a good idea.

Technically the entity that finishes production of a firearm is the manufacturer. Polymer 80 made what amounts to a blank. The end user who does the final machining operations necessary to convert that blank into a firearm is the manufacturer. If it is for personal use then its not required to be marked or serialized, but that doesn't change the fact that you are the manufacturer, and building guns for your personal use is perfectly legal to do without any fancy licenses. As such, if you FA 10 it after it is capable of firing, you list yourself as the manufacturer and NSN as the serial number.

Technically the entity that finishes production of a firearm is the manufacturer. Polymer 80 made what amounts to a blank. The end user who does the final machining operations necessary to convert that blank into a firearm is the manufacturer. If it is for personal use then its not required to be marked or serialized, but that doesn't change the fact that you are the manufacturer, and building guns for your personal use is perfectly legal to do without any fancy licenses. As such, if you FA 10 it after it is capable of firing, you list yourself as the manufacturer and NSN as the serial number.

That's perfectly fine...but my point is generally here ( since we are talking 80 percent lowers) the less your name is on anything the better. Many people put P80 as the manufacturer on the FA-10, serial number NONE and its all good.

That's perfectly fine...but my point is generally here ( since we are talking 80 percent lowers) the less your name is on anything the better. Many people put P80 as the manufacturer on the FA-10, serial number NONE and its all good.

I doubt they'd proactively go after anyone for that, but it's wrong. They'd be far better off just skipping the FA10 entirely (IMO). Isn't it just a civil fine for not doing it?

"They'll" only be checking your records if you're already screwed over something else.

I doubt they'd proactively go after anyone for that, but it's wrong. They'd be far better off just skipping the FA10 entirely (IMO). Isn't it just a civil fine for not doing it?

No it's not, it actually I think eventually elevates to a felony or something after the first offense, but in years of looking for one, I've never actually been able to find someone who was actually charged or prosecuted with an S128A/B violation. Probably because most people who read those two sections of law for any amount of time get a stroke or an aneurysm
while reading and trying to untangle that extension cord mess... You can basically get like 4 MA gun attorneys in a room and at least one of them will likely have a serious
disagreement about what S128A/B really means.

The other fun part is the bar is really high. They have to prove that someone was legally obligated to report and then that they failed to do so. The former is often a difficult standard to meet. Move ins. Exempt. Transfers that, time wise, occured further back than the 6 yr statute of limitations. Exempt. Your buddy loaned (but not transferred you) a gun. Exempt. (why would anyone FA 10 a gun they don't actually own)? Transfers where the MA licensed dealer was supposed to report it, but either really screwed it up or didn't submit it. Exempt. "gun" was found not in a fireable state; oh wait, is it really a firearm if it can't fire a shot? Possibly exempt. I could keep going but you get the idea.

Under a lot of circumstances powerball is a better bet than someone getting whacked with S128A/B.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom