80% problems Warning on seller.

Bought an 80% 9mm lower from a company called The Buffalo out of Ventura California Item looked good and machined well. Problem arose when I tried to put a colt mag in the mag well and it wouldn't fit. Got an ASC mag to just start in the well. There were a couple other problems that I worked with like the holes for the 9mm parts needed to be reamed as they were a little out of location but not bad. I was not about to start filing the inside of the mag well. Emailed the seller and heard nothing for several days until I called him. Seemed like he wanted to help and was supposed to send me another lower and asked me to return the bad lower after I received new one and to cut in half before shipping. Nothing after a week and I emailed with no reply until I called again. Now he is waiting on his supplier. Finally I was asked to mail lower to his supplier who called me and claims lower is junk because I cut it in half as I was told and his aftermarket mag fits fine. Reminded him I couldn't send a whole machined 80% to him. Attitude was it wasn't his problem. Called seller again and he wanted me to send my mag to California to check the fit. No way I am sending a 32rd colt mag to California. Never got answers by email, only after calling by phone. Called Credit card co. who is going to do a refund and told me I went above what was needed for a claim.

Just a warning to check mag wells before machining. Seller was The Buffalo out of Ventura California and supplier turned out to be SMF Tactical although I was never given that name, just the address to mail to, nor can I find any FFL information on either company or owners names. Could it just be a fluke or could all his lowers be off? Don't know but not buying from them again. SMT also has their own website where they sell the same lowers at same price

An 80% lower is not a firearm.

California might have their own stupid rules, but no FFL is required for an 80% lower.
The poster said "can't mail a machined 80% lower to a non-FFL".

Once a certain amount of machining is done, the 80% lower is federally speaking a firearm.

An 80% lower is not a firearm.

California might have their own stupid rules, but no FFL is required for an 80% lower.

Lower was all machined. Magwell was undersize but you could have forced a plastic mag into it and used it. If I haven't machined it and found the mag problem first then mailing it to a non ffl wouldn't have been an issue

Last edited:
Once a certain amount of machining is done, the 80% lower is federally speaking a firearm.

Once ANY machining is done to the current gen ll 80%ers you have a firearm. These are right up against the edge. Even spot marking the pin holes at this point would out you over.

Anybody remember the Halo mfg fiasco of a few years back?

Back
Top Bottom