Gotta start somewhere! Though if you're there early enough you might find yourself on the firing line with loaner gear and a some coaching.

As you enter the club (gate will be open on match days), and after you take the right fork towards the rifle ranges (there are signs), you'll get to a parking area with the clubhouse on the left and range access on the right. Inside the clubhouse will be the people doing registration and stats and stuff, which is probably a good place to start. I can't speak for the club, I'd expect interested shooters to be welcomed. Depending on the match, most of the folks at the firing line are going to be shooting, scoring, or match officials, so might not be much of anybody to talk to, though. (The Eastern Mass Rifle League on the 24th of April and 1st/8th of May is a series of team-of-six matches, so there will be lots more idle people around, but it's offhand at 200 only so you won't get to see how the rapids go.)

See also the later posts in this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...2010-Highpower-Schedule?p=1368638#post1357287

(I'm not a member at Reading, but I've answered a couple of posts like this lately because I think across-the-course shooting is a ton of fun, just sometimes hard to find a way to jump into.)

All of the matches I have been to have always had the best of folks there. Do not be afraid of showing up and asking questions. Just don't bother the guys shooting or scoring, they have a job to do and should be left alone untill they are done. Like the other fellow said if you show up early you will find someone to help you out and they might even let you try the gear out.

If you don't mind the drive upto Maine thare are 2 beginers matches coming up in May. 1 in Scarborough and 1 in Augusta. I am the MD at Augusta and would love to have you come up and shot with us. We shoot on a 200 yrd range which is great for new shooters to get the feel

Please feel free to pm or email me for more info.
Hope this helps
Dave Sheppard

New guys and gals are always welcomed at Reading. As AMB stated its best to look and watch to find out what is needed from both your own performance and the equipment.

Its a fun sport with a lot of good people....

where ya from jay? there's nothing quite like a full course match, but a bunch of us shoot dedicated .22lr uppers too (for practice). excellent way (IE, CHEAP!) to practice positions, trigger control, sight alignment, hold, etc. charlie is certainly the guy to talk to regarding getting into the sport, but if you want give it a whirl on the cheap, shoot me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom