9mm 147gr loads with stock recoil spring

eboos

NES Member
I am sort of looking for an emergency load recommendation for 147gr coated 9mm that will reliably cycle in a Glock 17 with the stock recoil spring. I have WST, Titegroup, and Win231 on hand. I also have about 1000 rounds loaded to about 885fps (130ish pf). I do not have the opportunity to test before Saturday.

What do your manuals say? Your 130 pf loads should run fine. What do you need exactly? Test your gun.

Last edited:
What do your manuals say? Your 130 pf loads should run fine. What do you need exactly? Test your gun.
Doing a Steel Challenge match on Saturday. I do not have range access. Running a new Glock in Carry Optics. Gen 5. My Production gun is a Gen 4 (recoil springs/guide rods not compatible with each other). Obviously testing would be ideal, but as I said, I do not have the opportunity right now. Entering the match was a last minute decision.

with the stock recoil spring
so you already know what to do. what is the issue?
actually, this is simpler, as you have no rod yet, i guess.

my bone stock gen5 g17 cycles 147gr just fine, btw, once it got fully broken in. g34 i run on wolfe springs.

reading slow. if you said - NEW glock - get a couple or more boxes of ammo and go shoot it, you need to work out the edges on slide and barrel mating spots.

a paid range access - MFS in Holliston, gun parlor in your Worcester - what is the issue? gun needs to be broken in, it will stutter until glock is happy and worn.

Last edited:
so you already know what to do. what is the issue?
actually, this is simpler, as you have no rod yet, i guess.

my bone stock gen5 g17 cycles 147gr just fine, btw, once it got fully broken in. g34 i run on wolfe springs.
I intend to keep this gun stock (Gen 5 G17). My 147 loads were mouse farts that I ran in my Gen 4 G34 production gun. That gun had a lighter spring. Trying to finagle something where I can get on a range to test what I already have. Otherwise I will have to settle for factory loads for Saturday.

I intend to keep this gun stock (Gen 5 G17). My 147 loads were mouse farts that I ran in my Gen 4 G34 production gun. That gun had a lighter spring. Trying to finagle something where I can get on a range to test what I already have. Otherwise I will have to settle for factory loads for Saturday.
i edited my response - IF it is a brand new gun - go to MSF and shoot a hundred or 2 rounds with it, to avoid issues at the match. even a first hundred should work out most of the issues.

if it is a broken in gun, with rings on the barrel and it STILL stutters on your loads - well, then it needs more work.

i had more issues with longer g34 before it got finally smooth and good, it took longer, about of 2-3 hundred rounds, difficult to recall, it took time.
g17 and 19x were both fine after , like 2-3 10rd mags.

i edited my response - IF it is a brand new gun - go to MSF and shoot a hundred or 2 rounds with it, to avoid issues at the match. even a first hundred should work out most of the issues.

if it is a broken in gun, with rings on the barrel and it STILL stutters on your loads - well, then it needs more work.
Already got 100 rounds through it. Just got it 2 weeks ago. No issues so far. As far as MA paid ranges goes, I am a CT resident with a CT LTC. My MA LTC will arrive any day now. Closest CT paid range is a ways away and only allows their ammo to be used. Under normal circumstances, there wouldn't be an issue, but I am sort of rushing to get back in the game.

Already got 100 rounds through it. Just got it 2 weeks ago. No issues so far. As far as MA paid ranges goes, I am a CT resident with a CT LTC. My MA LTC will arrive any day now. Closest CT paid range is a ways away and only allows their ammo to be used. Under normal circumstances, there wouldn't be an issue, but I am sort of rushing to get back in the game.
yeah, that sucks... i see.
you can always put a rod from gen4 into gen5, though. it will run. get it with you to the match.

I am sort of looking for an emergency load recommendation for 147gr coated 9mm that will reliably cycle in a Glock 17 with the stock recoil spring. I have WST, Titegroup, and Win231 on hand. I also have about 1000 rounds loaded to about 885fps (130ish pf). I do not have the opportunity to test before Saturday.
titegroup is the only thing going to easily get you there without making mouse farts

yeah, that sucks... i see.
you can always put a rod from gen4 into gen5, though. it will run. get it with you to the match.
Gen 4 and Gen 5 rods are not interchangeable. There is a difference in length and diameter of the hole in the slide.

Gen 4 and Gen 5 rods are not interchangeable. There is a difference in length and diameter of the hole in the slide.
hmm, what the heck i have then... i was sure i used the old one i had. if you have one at hand you know better, obviously, all i have now are gen5s, i sold all the old ones.

hmm, what the heck i have then... i was sure i used the old one i had. if you have one at hand you know better, obviously, all i have now are gen5s, i sold all the old ones.
Tried swapping the rod and spring between my gen 4 g34 and my gen 5 g17 last night. No go. On some subcompact models the gen4/gen5 rod and spring are the same, but not on these guns.

Tried swapping the rod and spring between my gen 4 g34 and my gen 5 g17 last night. No go. On some subcompact models the gen4/gen5 rod and spring are the same, but not on these guns.
Beats me. This a wolfe rod I have, I have no memory of buying it. I got a set of 3 new springs, I think, for g34. Odd. Dunno, sorry. My memory must be off.
AD7547EE-5ECD-44A3-8A98-F963D99D0FB6.jpeg

Well, screw it. It will either work or it won’t work. If it doesn’t, I am bringing my G34 as back up, but it may force me to shoot for no score ( not that it matters though).

In second squad tomorrow.

I load 147s over 3.3 WST. Either blue bullets or ibejiheads. 1.13"
These chrono at 130-135 in my 5" guns (glock sig, smith, sti )
My G34 gen4 came to me second hand with an aftermarket guide rod and spring that was too heavy to reliably cycle that load, the stock captured spring did work fine for me, I have since put a 13lb spring on the aftermarket guide rod and run with that.

What makes you think your 130pf load will not run the stock configuration g17 ?

I load 147s over 3.3 WST. Either blue bullets or ibejiheads. 1.13"
These chrono at 130-135 in my 5" guns (glock sig, smith, sti )
My G34 gen4 came to me second hand with an aftermarket guide rod and spring that was too heavy to reliably cycle that load, the stock captured spring did work fine for me, I have since put a 13lb spring on the aftermarket guide rod and run with that.

What makes you think your 130pf load will not run the stock configuration g17 ?
Thanks for the reply. I was just concerned because I haven’t had a chance to test it.

Increase charge weight to 3.5 if you're worried about cycling issues.
Knockout about 300 or so rounds. Right now.

Back
Top Bottom