9mm 1911 decision question

jkerm3

NES Member
OK so I got the itch to pick up a 1911 in 9mm.

Was at my LGS today and found a like-new Rock Island with Trijicon sights and 4 mags for $450. Build was tight, it felt great in hand, and the trigger was smooth and crisp.

I was planning to go to FS next week to check out/buy a Springfield RO for $699 + tax but now I am wondering if I should just get the RIA. I haven’t held the SA but have heard they are great too. Is the 60% premium for the SA worth it?

Which would you buy and why? Thanks.

Last edited:
Get the Springfield!
I have a Colt Competition in 9mm.
I would have bought a Springfield Range Officer if they had one in stock when I bought it.
Better value for the money.

I like my Colt for the name and it is a quality pistol.

RO is an excellent gun. I have no experience with the RI but it is probably $450 for a reason. Springfield also has a lifetime warranty.

OK so I got the itch to pick up a 1911 in 9mm.

Was at my LGS today and found a like-new Rock Island with Trijicon sights and 4 mags for $450. Build was tight, it felt great in hand, and the trigger was smooth and crisp.

I was planning to go to FS next week to check out/buy a Springfield RO for $699 + tax but now I am wondering if I should just get the RIA. I haven’t held the SA but have heard they are great too. Is the 60% premium for the SA worth it?

Which would you buy and why? Thanks.
Had both
The Rock worked but was Rough
The Springfield RO was is one of my Favs
Shoots like a dream

Attachments

• A66E4EAC-0F39-49D1-AEDE-CCB2E4646D4C.jpeg
    A66E4EAC-0F39-49D1-AEDE-CCB2E4646D4C.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 27
Keep in mind, once I add night sights and more mags to the SA, the difference is even more. Is the SA really worth nearly twice as much as the RIA?

Keep in mind, once I add night sights and more mags to the SA, the difference is even more. Is the SA really worth nearly twice as much as the RIA?
Why would you add night sights? Get a decent set of fixed fiber optic target sights and it will be a much more fun range/competition gun that you will enjoy shooting all day long. You’re not looking to conceal carry it are you?

I get it...I really do. I know the SA is the easy choice but I am interested to hear how much better than the RIA it is.

It seems I always buy the more expensive option but was hoping the value of the RIA would be enough to justify the lower price.

I don’t really need this but want to play with a 9mm 1911 so the RIA has peaked my interest at the price point and with the options included.

Thanks all for your recommendation.

I have both a RI 9mm 1911 and Springfield 1911 in .45. They are both great. However, the RI was worked on by a custom shop, and the Springfield is off the shelf.

Why would you add night sights? Get a decent set of fixed fiber optic target sights and it will be a much more fun range/competition gun that you will enjoy shooting all day long. You’re not looking to conceal carry it are you?

Just comparing apples to apples.
Good point on fiber optic. This will be a Range toy only. I have better choices for carry.

I have a 45. Didn’t really consider the idea of the platform in 9mm too until this RIA was handed to me. Hence the question.

I have a RIA in 9mm. A little rough in the trigger, so I gave it a trigger job and replaced the leaf spring. Reliable and accurate, no complaints.
Also have a RIA Officers in .45, and I did the same. With a little work they're as good as my other 1911's, but I enjoy working on them.

The SA is a fully forged gun with better fitting and manufacturing tolerances in addition to a much better protective finish. The RIA may be fully investment cast except for the barrel. Tooling to forge parts and establishment the quality of the protective finish add the most to the cost of 1911 production. Not that cheaper has to mean inferior performance wise, but the SA will be lighter and have a longer service life at the least, and is more likely to be well fitted together. Think like Nissan vs Toyota vs Rolls-Royce for everyday driving.

Waher I agree 100%. A Rolls is 10x the price of a Nissan/Toyota but still gets to the mall in the same amount of time.

My question: is the SA worth nearly double the price compared to the RIA to me and what I am using it for. Home defense -no (but good to have in the arsenal), carry - no, 1911 range fun in 9mm - yes.

nHoatKN_d.jpg

... said the Springfield Armory 1911

:emoji_tiger:

I've had a RIA Tac 9 compact for years, one of the early ones with the billboard on the side. LOVE the pistol. Great trigger out of the box, 100% reliable, very accurate with ball ammo. It's just about as heavy as a .45, but I've CC'd it for years.

chuck2.JPG

You are obviously looking for someone to tell you to buy the Rock Island, so here you go: buy the Rock Island.

It will work great as your fun 9mm range toy.

The Springfield is a better pistol. Twice as good? Only you can answer that.

The thing about inexpensive 1911s is you never know how they are fitted until you pull them apart. It could be ok or it might not be. Fitting parts takes time, so the lower the price, the better chance it will have issues

I have a RIA,SA,S&W Pro series and a Ruger lightweight 1911 all 9 mm of the lot the RIA is a little rough but has been very reliable. The SA got rid of their lock/msh and the Ruger needed a 12 lb re oil spring as the factory spring was too light gave me some ftf. The Pro series genuine target pistol excellent trigger solid fit thru out.

My SA RO 9MM is my favorite handgun. I did change the front sights to Dawson’s fiber optic, I changed the takedown pin to a Wilson Bombay bulletproof (they have a notch that reduced the chance of an idiot mark), and I’m thinking of changing the rear sights to a set of fixed. I just haven’t found myself playing with the sights enough to warrant them. That being said, If I went back I’d still buy the same handgun, it’s spectacular, and I enjoy the cleaning process for it. Also, buy a few cobra mags, they work very very well.

The other thing I’m thinking of doing is adding a magwell, since the 10 round mags stick under a bit. As components start to wear down I’ll be replacing them with Wilson bulletproof stuff, but for now I have other toys where I’d rather spend the money.

Another thing to consider when buying a SA, you are buying into a very good warranty and costumer service.

Back
Top Bottom