9mm Ammo

I just got Remington (1000 rounds) 9mm luger MC for $280 at Dicks. I am a newbie in terms of baying ammo but the guy at the counter said I can get 3boxes(limit) at $14.99 or get 1000 for $280. I jumped to the 1000, did I do okay?

Ehh not great but not bad..

28 cents a round. Was that with or before tax?

I got a bunch not too many up at Riley's in NH for about 24 cents a round

Before everything went FR I used to be able to get Blazer brass for $10/50 rd. box. So 500rds was $100, 1000 rds, $200. Basically you paid $4 or 40% more per box compared to pre-FR pricing. I have seen much higher markups. Considering that the remington ammo was more expensive than blazer to begin with. I think you made out ok. IIRC when the blazer was $10/box the remington was in the $13/box range...

Incidentally just last week I saw some boxes of blazer at a LGS and they were marked $18 ea. That is an 80% mark up!!

Last edited:
Twenty-eight cents a round for 115gr FMJ isn't too bad. The UMC isn't the cleanest or most powerful (I think they're a little weaker than Federal or WWB, but can't back that up), but they go 'bang' when you pull the trigger and for practice ammo that's all that matters.

I still have some Federal and WWB I paid $19.97 and $21.97/100 (.20 and .22 / rd) at Wal*Mart. I've paid as much as $28 / 100 from a LGS just because I wanted to buy *something* to support his business.

I haven't brought myself to pay more than $14 - 15 for fifty rounds, when I know buying the bigger boxes saves money in the long run.

Funny, I'll spend more than a buck a round for PD ammo, but won't spend more than .30 for FMJ.

Don't worry about how much you paid per round. Buy what's available if that means you'll get trigger time. Pennies saved is nothing in comparison to experience gained. You can shop around for the best deal once you've got a decent initial supply going.

In this particular case, you did good picking up so many rounds. Now go shoot something.

I think you did great. In the last few months 9mm has been between .35-.38 per 100 rounds at most LGS, nice to see the price dropping and ammo more plentiful. Now get some trigger time.

Back
Top Bottom