• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm carry ammo

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
Once I get my parts in the mail next week, I am switching to a Glock 19 for CCW. This is actually my first 9mm pistol, and would like to know what everyone uses.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. [grin]

Id try a box each of 2-3 different brands that were recommended and see what runs best/your most comfortable with in your gun

124 gr gold dot for the wife's nine (I carry a different caliber), but she might switch to hornady critical defense. Amazing stuff from what I read

sent from the Evo

For 9mm I use 124gr Hornady TAP. My only reason for this is when I bought my very first 9mm a box of this ammo was included, and I've just stuck with that ever since. Otherwise I'd probably carry Speer GDHP.

124gr Speer Gold Dots (not sure of the grain weight, but I'm pretty sure it's this).

- - - Updated - - -

[hmmm] [wink]

I only carry what I run through my guns on a regular basis and I don't have the money to run thousands of rounds of gold dot or the like. I like having the confidence of knowing how my equipment performs and don't personally care about under penetration. I'd rather be able to shoot through things if necessary and hit what's on the other side. [grin]

I only carry what I run through my guns on a regular basis and I don't have the money to run thousands of rounds of gold dot or the like. I like having the confidence of knowing how my equipment performs and don't personally care about under penetration. I'd rather be able to shoot through things if necessary and hit what's on the other side. [grin]

Neither do I. I might have shot 50 rounds of Speer through my EDC. It's just too damn expensive and times are tough. 99% of the rounds that go through my pistols are ball ammo. I just don't keep ball when it's in SD/HD mode.

I'd rather be able to shoot through things if necessary and hit what's on the other side. [grin]

This.

I'm not worried about over-penetration. I'd rather have something that will shoot right through a door, glass, body panel, or a pelvis (the long way).

I carry what I shoot: 124 FMJ loaded wicked hot.

This.

I'm not worried about over-penetration. I'd rather have something that will shoot right through a door, glass, body panel, or a pelvis (the long way).

I carry what I shoot: 124 FMJ loaded wicked hot.

If you want penetration and expansion look up critical duty rounds. They go through most barriers and still expand. Performs very well in the FBI ballistic tests (through glass, clothing, drywall etc)

sent from the Evo

124 gr Speer GDHPs in 9. I got a smoking deal on some a couple of years ago and ran several hundred rounds through the pistol. Just bought another 500 rds last week. Holy Cow has the price gone up.

Once I get my parts in the mail next week, I am switching to a Glock 19 for CCW. This is actually my first 9mm pistol, and would like to know what everyone uses.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. [grin]

Win Ranger RA9TA 127 gr +P+

Speer GDHP +P 124gr 9mm (standard, not short barrel)

Either of these can be found in 50 round boxes if you do the legwork. Both good carry loads.

The only other one I would consider would be Federal HST 124 gr varieties. That bullet tests very well, overall. these also come in 50 round boxes.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom