• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm - Glock, Walther or Steyr

Any idea on which pistol is better... for a 9mm? I need your opinion here. I was planning to get a Kimber 45 but the price just kept me away from it for the meantime [that's actually a whopping 1400 USD for the cheapest model and the rest I think are reserved for Bill Gates, if he can afford it! :? and the price was at a fair and it was at a discounted price!] Moving forward, i think I will try the 9mm but which one, price starts from $700.00 for a Steyr M9 or glock 19 and $1000.00 for a Walther P99.

Thanks.

I'm rather biased myself (owning a P99) but I would point you toward the Walther. I personally like the AS trigger DA/SA over the QA trigger DOA like a Glock.

My P99 is .40 but I know folks who own the 9mm and like it just as much as I like my .40.

Adam

I'm not familiar with the Steyr. But between the Glock & Walther I'd pick the P99 (AS trigger) hands down.

CD

I haven't shot the Steyr or Walther, but I have a Glock 19, and like it. It was a little time getting used to it, but worth it in the long run.

One of the upsides is that used Glocks can be found. You may be able to get one under $500 used.

I always keep going back to the Glock 19. In fact, I am selling a Walther P99 with hi-caps because I like the Glock better and just do not shoot the P99 any more. I'll use the money to buy more 9mm ammo. And maybe an old S&W revolver or two for my collection.

This does not mean that I think the Walther is a bad pistol. It's not.

BTW, the Glock 23 is not a 9MM. It's a .40S&W with the ability to use a .357 Sig barrel and ammo.

The 19 and the 23 are identical except for caliber. I'm fully aware of that, but thanks, just in case some people weren't. I wouldn't want them to look for a 19, when they want a 40 S&W.

FPrice said:
BTW, the Glock 23 is not a 9MM. It's a .40S&W with the ability to use a .357 Sig barrel and ammo.

My mistake, thanks for reminding me about it. Well that was the option that I have to choose from either the Steyr M9 which is a 9mm, Glock 19[not a 23] and a P99.

Thanks for the correction. :D

I have a Glock 17 and it's the bees knees. Also got it for under $500...
Too bad you can't really find CZs here. My fiance used to have a CZ75 (it's in my gun box now hehe) and that's a great gun. But less recoil on the Glock I'd have to say. Can't say anything about the others. Why are you thinking G19 over G17? Is it for carry or target?

SiameseRat said:
I have a Glock 17 and it's the bees knees. Also got it for under $500...
Too bad you can't really find CZs here. My fiance used to have a CZ75 (it's in my gun box now hehe) and that's a great gun. But less recoil on the Glock I'd have to say. Can't say anything about the others. Why are you thinking G19 over G17? Is it for carry or target?

It was primarily for target... so i guess 17 has a longer barrel but I think I've seen one myself. I'm only 5'6 and the gun looks bigger than me :D ... Pistols here is a luxury... the good ones. But I will drop by the store maybe tomorrow and will look again on the 17 hope that the handle is slimmer... will consider that... thanks.

FPrice said:
Pistols here is a luxury

where is here?

Maybe you haven't heard of it yet but this is where the .45 was developed due to the Moros. I am in Manila but the location of the moros are about 1000 miles south away from where I am now. And, I haven't seen one yet [lol]

Manila wow! What are the gun laws like there?

Yeah if it's target shooting I'd say you might be better with a G17 but I'm 5'8" and have big hands for a girl so it's a comfortable fit for me. I use my Glock for target too.

SiameseRat said:

Yeah if it's target shooting I'd say you might be better with a G17 but I'm 5'8" and have big hands for a girl so it's a comfortable fit for me. I use my Glock for target too.

Anybody here who has an stable job or has pretty good income generating business can own a gun but has to go through a lot of process; a tremendous no. of requirements like psychological exams, drug test, we've got to have permits coming from the police and the mayor of the city, copy of our income tax return, court clearance, gun club membership, that's just the half of it... and that's just for owning one, and carry permit requires a totally different requirement. Very few here can actually carry a gun legally. Even police and military officers got to have a carry permit to bring their personal firearms outside their homes. Even mayors here can be penalized for carrying unlicensed weapon.

But ofcourse in any country some "good' people just got a way to go around the system. [roll]

BTW, will check the 17 and have the feel of it!

hiram_Abiff said:
SiameseRat said:

Anybody here who has an stable job or has pretty good income generating business can own a gun but has to go through a lot of process; a tremendous no. of requirements like psychological exams, drug test, we've got to have permits coming from the police and the mayor of the city, copy of our income tax return, court clearance, gun club membership, that's just the half of it... and that's just for owning one, and carry permit requires a totally different requirement. Very few here can actually carry a gun legally. Even police and military officers got to have a carry permit to bring their personal firearms outside their homes. Even mayors here can be penalized for carrying unlicensed weapon.

But ofcourse in any country some "good' people just got a way to go around the system. [roll]

BTW, will check the 17 and have the feel of it!

Anybody else get the feeling that Manila is JUST like Massachusetts?!? [roll]

hiram,

This is the first time I've ever felt good about living under Massachusetts law! You should get some sort of award for perseverence.

John Jay said:
hiram,

This is the first time I've ever felt good about living under Massachusetts law! You should get some sort of award for perseverence.

Yeah, right, but its just because we have no option here :( . And consider the prices of handguns here too... whew :x cost almost twice for the same model you got there! :D

Like the Steyr M9... SALE price here $700.00++! That's 20-30% off the regular price! The P99 SALE price $1000++!!! Regular price.... $1400.00++! [evil]

Cross-X said:
If you live in MA, Four Seasons has Glock 17 refurbs on sale for $399. Visit Four Seasons on the web at www.fsguns.com

We can not import guns here for private use and I hope I could get one from there. I've stayed in CA before and was not able to get one, had difficulty in getting papers for bringing one outside the States [lol] and once back home I could end behind bars! [shock] :D .

You've got very good gun laws down there in MA!

We do have pretty decent gun laws here. They could be better, but, with a little work and cleverness, creative people can get just about anything they want here, and do it legally.

Cross-X said:
We do have pretty decent gun laws here. They could be better, but, with a little work and cleverness, creative people can get just about anything they want here, and do it legally.

and with your great prices and quality of handguns you've got there, I'll get a dozen! :D

Lynne said:
Cross-X said:
We do have pretty decent gun laws here.

[?] [!] [?]

I'll jump in here... consider: We CAN get some guns here. We CAN get carry permits.

In New Jersey, unless you're a LEO, politician, or security guard, FORGET getting a carry permit. Even then, the security guard will ONLY get one with a Letter Of Need from his employer and then he can only carry on duty. (Unless he's a "supervisor" and always on call).

When the first "smart" gun hits the market, then the countdown starts - ALL new guns sold in NJ three years after the first "smart" gun hits the market MUST be "smart". Unless you're a LEO. They're excluded.

You need a purchase permit for EVERY gun sold. And the laws are worded such that BB guns (and all air pistols) and even SLING SHOTS are considered firearms. (Go ahead and read the laws - I escaped from NJ in 87, so I've read the silly things).

NYC - Unless you're a LEO, filthy rich, or are Stephen Tyler, you can't legally own a pistol. At all. Same in Chicago, I think, and DC.

So yeah, looked at in that perspective, our gun laws aren't as bad as they could be.

Ross

Cross-X (can I out you yet?), you owe me for jumping in to your defense!

Back
Top Bottom