9mm large primer pocket

This is a first for me, I was going through some range pickup 9mm brass to get ready to reload and found a 9mm case with a large primer pocket. I thought all 9mm used small primers, this odd ball was a R-P stamped case. Not sure if Remington may have made some special runs of brass to use larger primers for some reason, maybe due to a shortage of small primers?

This is a first for me, I was going through some range pickup 9mm brass to get ready to reload and found a 9mm case with a large primer pocket. I thought all 9mm used small primers, this odd ball was a R-P stamped case. Not sure if Remington may have made some special runs of brass to use larger primers for some reason, maybe due to a shortage of small primers?
R-P Brass s*cks ass.

It wasn't me. I didn't think it was possible to open a small primer pocket enough to accept a large primer. I suppose it could have been a 10mm but does .38 Super use large or small?

It wasn't me. I didn't think it was possible to open a small primer pocket enough to accept a large primer. I suppose it could have been a 10mm but does .38 Super use large or small?

I wish I could find it, But I had a 30-06 round go off really hard in my 1903 and when I got the bolt open the primer fell out. You could swirl a large rifle primer in the pocket. I literally had to kneel on the rifle and pull with both hands to open it. It was an incendiary round and I think it detonated inside the rifle. I also have not fired the rifle since. One day I'll get it inspected and see if it's safe.

Ran into a guy at the range last night and when we were talking reloading he brought this up and said he ran across some. Loaded up a round in the press and when it came out, the primer had fallen out. He couldn't remember the brand.

I wish I could find it, But I had a 30-06 round go off really hard in my 1903 and when I got the bolt open the primer fell out. You could swirl a large rifle primer in the pocket. I literally had to kneel on the rifle and pull with both hands to open it. It was an incendiary round and I think it detonated inside the rifle. I also have not fired the rifle since. One day I'll get it inspected and see if it's safe.

The powder could have deteriorated over time and become a bit more energetic/explosive. That happens with ww2 vintage german 8mm. It can also happen if it was stored in extreme temps, etc. I seriously doubt the round detonated in the rifle.

Back
Top Bottom