A conservative case for an assault weapons ban

Op-ed in the LA Times:

So what's the alternative? Bring back the assault weapons ban, and bring it back with some teeth this time. Ban the manufacture, importation, sale, transfer and possession of both assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Don't let people who already have them keep them. Don't let ones that have already been manufactured stay on the market. I don't care whether it's called gun control or a gun ban. I'm for it.

I say all of this as a gun owner. I say it as a conservative who was appointed to the federal bench by a Republican president. I say it as someone who prefers Fox News to MSNBC, and National Review Online to the Daily Kos. I say it as someone who thinks the Supreme Court got it right in District of Columbia vs. Heller, when it held that the 2nd Amendment gives us the right to possess guns for self-defense. (That's why I have mine.) I say it as someone who, generally speaking, is not a big fan of the regulatory state.

There is just no reason civilians need to own assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Gun enthusiasts can still have their venison chili, shoot for sport and competition, and make a home invader flee for his life without pretending they are a part of the SEAL team that took out Osama bin Laden.

I wonder if he has more than 2 pairs of shoes. Or if his freezer has more than 5 pounds of meat. No one needs such things!!

Self defense from government (the true reason for the 2nd amendment) requires the people to be as well armed as the government. We can't defend ourselves with single shot rifles and sling shots when the Government comes a-knocking like they did at Ruby Ridge...

Wrong. You've got to get past labels. Plenty of liberals embrace gun rights and I embrace them. Would you reject their support because they're 'liberals', or would you just say "Not a Liberal".

While I realize your point, he is not a small c conservative because he does not wish to preserve the intent of the founding fathers.

Language gets hijacked constantly.

There is just no reason civilians need to own assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Gun enthusiasts can still have their venison chili, shoot for sport and competition, and make a home invader flee for his life without pretending they are a part of the SEAL team that took out Osama bin Laden.

Tell that to the thousands of my fellow highpower shooters who compete with AR "assault rifles" every year. I guess we're all going to have to go back to Garands.

Wrong. You've got to get past labels. Plenty of liberals embrace gun rights and I embrace them. Would you reject their support because they're 'liberals', or would you just say "Not a Liberal".

Good point. We mostly consider Oregon a liberal bastion, but they have much better gun laws than we do. Non school employees (visitors, parents) can carry concealed legally in schools, although employees and volunteers can't. The most liberal guy I know, a communist really, who lives in OR is a staunch Second Amendment supporter.

Libertarians encompass a wide political spectrum, yet most I know are Second Amendment supporters.

he supports only the parts of Heller vs DC that he agrees with.

Jesus Christ. Another "conservative" who thinks he knows it all, thats says he agrees with Heller, and doesn't seem to know that one of the parts of Heller is you cant ban common use firearms.

You cant be anymore ****ing stupid than that. Did he even read the case or did he see the 30 second version on Fox news? ****ing "conservatives." I've had enough of loser Republicans.

This guys a judge on top of it. ****ing horror show.

He's a federal judge not a Supreme Court judge he can suck on Diane feinsteins nuts.

For now. Wait until the Great Messiah "reaches across the isle" to sit a "conservative" SCOTUS judge.

Is anyone here still owning up to their Republican affiliation? Lesser of two evils, AMIRITE?

I agree with him. Let's face it, these guns only get sold because they look cool. They serve no actual purpose. The way they look makes them prime targets for theft. We real gun owners know that we can achieve what we need with guns our grandfathers would have been proud to own, not these tacticool pieces of plastic shit.

I'm turning mine in next buy back. Sorry, not for sale. I don't want you to have them either.

Wrong. You've got to get past labels. Plenty of liberals embrace gun rights when its convenient for them.

Fixed it for you. Same thing could be said of most "conservatives" too, of course. They talk the talk but when shit like this happens, a bunch of sheep all line up and are all greased up to throw us all under the bus.

The US has become a nation of statist authoritarian ****ing a**h***s. The "D" or "R" is meaningless, it's just a flag for the type of mental illness they're infected with. The longer I live on this earth the longer the D seems to mean "Dumb" and the R seems to mean "Retarded".

-Mike

Self defense from government (the true reason for the 2nd amendment) requires the people to be as well armed as the government. We can't defend ourselves with single shot rifles and sling shots when the Government comes a-knocking like they did at Ruby Ridge...

Conform, don't resist, or think about the things the .gov doesn't want you to think about and there will be no more Ruby Ridges and no need for guns.[rolleyes]

Just remember, once they come for semi-automatic rifles, they're coming for semi-automatic pistols. Then bolt-action, "sniper rifles". Then revolvers. Then pump-action long guns. Then lever-controlled models.

Until it's all gone.

They know that a 30-round magazine ban ain't going to fix shit. That's the said part of it. Somebody could do more mayhem and murder with two 20-round magazines. Or even more with five, 10-round magazines.

And when some drugged-out, schizoid decides to shoot up a nursery with his post-ban, 10-round magazines... Guess that they're coming for next.

Back
Top Bottom