• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A good gun cleaning kit

expedition03

NES Member
Hi everyone, I was wondering if people could help me with my situation. I am looking for a very good gun cleaning kit. What does everyone suggest? I looked at Hoppe's kit and I have read some good and bad reviews of different ones? FYI I want one for a mainly a pistol. Thanks!

I use Hoppe's cleaning kits and cleaning cloths. For my revolvers, I use Birchwood Casey's Lead remover cloth. I hear Ballistol is also a really good solvent/oil.

The best gun cleaning kit is the one you build yourself. Hit Home Depot and get yourself a nice mid sized tool box with plenty of room and compartments. Then get yourself a $20 Hoope's cleaning kit for the basics like a cleaning rod, patches ect, and build from there.

My box currently contains the following.

Manuals for all my guns
My M16 cleaning kit from my Army days
My MA1 cleaning kit
Contents from my first Hoppes kit
Non marring hammer
assorted tooth brushes
assorted bits for my cleaning rod (many calibers to clean)
assorted oils, and solvents, most are a personal choice you'll like what you like
few rags
small tool kit, screw drivers and the like
My black powder cleaning supplies
lube for my shotty
a few bore snakes
a few pairs of surgical gloves, if I'm cleaning a lot of guns and know i'm going to get solvent on me before it's all said and done

That's just most of what's in my kit. If you only plan to own 1 or 2 guns a store bought kit is all you need. If you plan to collect then get a tool box.

Oh and those clear plastic containers for tackle boxes the ones with all the little compartments for lures. They come in real handy for all of your cleaning rod attachments.

I just started with a basic universal kit from walmart (brass rod not aluminum...broke too many of those over the years) and I add on as I go and find I need something else. I also have a nice set of B-Square gunsmith screwdrivers. Makes not mangling screws that might be hard to replace that much easier. Oh and a bore light.

I use Eds Red I made a gallon of to clean, and 60/40 Mobile one / Auto transmission fluid to lube most of them.

The best gun cleaning kit is the one you build yourself. Hit Home Depot and get yourself a nice mid sized tool box with plenty of room and compartments. Then get yourself a $20 Hoope's cleaning kit for the basics like a cleaning rod, patches ect, and build from there.

Manuals for all my guns
My MA1 cleaning kit
Non marring hammer
assorted tooth brushes
assorted oils, and solvents, most are a personal choice you'll like what you like
few rags
lube for my shotty
a few bore snakes
a few pairs of surgical gloves, if I'm cleaning a lot of guns and know i'm going to get solvent on me before it's all said and done

That's just most of what's in my kit. If you only plan to own 1 or 2 guns a store bought kit is all you need. If you plan to collect then get a tool box.

Oh and those clear plastic containers for tackle boxes the ones with all the little compartments for lures. They come in real handy for all of your cleaning rod attachments.

+1

This. Start basic and build as you need.

Ed's Red is great but sometimes finding all the components is difficult. I use a 50/50 mixture of Shooter's Choice and KROIL. Works just as good and most gun shops carry it.

Last edited:

Manuals for all my guns
My MA1 cleaning kit
Non marring hammer
assorted tooth brushes
few rags
lube for my shotty
a few bore snakes

+1 ..... I made the mistake of buying one, half the stuff was crap, some I use, and some I will never use. If I did it again I would just buy items as I need them.

Here ya go!

glockwash.jpg

your biggest mistake will be buying a Cleaning, get what you need for each

gun you own, not for every gun ever made. choose a cleaner you want

to use. Brownells has some real nice cleaning rods for both rifles and

pistol.

Bore snakes. It's all about the bore snakes. I bought a really basic kit when I bought my first gun a few years ago and now I just add onto it as needed.

I just have 2 basic kits. I bought one that was specific to 9mm pistols because that was all that I needed at first, then when I got a rifle, I picked up a basic rifle kit for the longer rods and stuff. I have heard good things about the bore snakes, but they are pretty pricey, and I don't see how they wouldn't become quickly contaminated after a few cleanings. At least with patches, they are cheap, and you can always have a clean one to run through the bore instead of possibly re-depositing crap from the boresnake.

I just have 2 basic kits. I bought one that was specific to 9mm pistols because that was all that I needed at first, then when I got a rifle, I picked up a basic rifle kit for the longer rods and stuff. I have heard good things about the bore snakes, but they are pretty pricey, and I don't see how they wouldn't become quickly contaminated after a few cleanings. At least with patches, they are cheap, and you can always have a clean one to run through the bore instead of possibly re-depositing crap from the boresnake.

You can put your bore snake in a laundry bag, and toss it without any clothes into the washer.

Back
Top Bottom